Gransnet forums

AIBU

Does anyone else.....

(92 Posts)
Purplepixie Sun 02-May-21 13:39:28

Find Gransnet so clinqy and unfriendly? Honestly I have posted lots of times and often been ignored or just had some rotten PMs sent to me. How do I get into the gang that is the GOOD MORNING topic? I am invisible on there! Ok I am going to run naked through each topic and I still won’t be noticed. I am here and a real person............................... Also I bleed when cut and cry when hurt.

25Avalon Sun 02-May-21 16:15:23

People may disagree with what you say or not reply so you could think it is cliquey and unfriendly especially on political subjects which many have very strong intransigent views on.

If you are in trouble, however, you will find most are very supportive and sympathetic.

Grandmajean Sun 02-May-21 16:19:26

Hi Purplepixie I am fairly new too and , though I don't find the GM posts at all unfriendly , I do think there are some posters who "know" each other well and they respond to their posts.It is difficult being new but I seem to remember a welcome from Blossoming and Marydoll commented on something I wrote. I also had helpful advice from another poster who noticed that I didn't know how to use the symbols for naming a poster so that the name appeared in bold. I haven't experienced any nasties but am too wimpish to post on a "controversial" thread.

FannyCornforth Sun 02-May-21 16:22:41

Hello PurplePixie
Come back and chat to us!
You've had lots of replies here.
I'm very surprised that you have had nasty PMs. I should think that I get up a few people's noses, but no-one has been unpleasant at all.

Sundaze I wouldn't take that personally - I don't think anyone looks at the Welcome to Gransnet thread tbh.
It's best just to start your own thread about something and do a short introduction perhaps.

You get out what you put in, I think.
Be polite and friendly; don't lose your rag; and respond to posters who do take the time to reply. That's my advice anyway.

aquagran Sun 02-May-21 16:34:33

Usually ignored, and had unpleasant pms. Some very clever and informed posters who give me insight to many subjects, but some miserable old women who disagree with everything just for the sake of it!

Sundaze Sun 02-May-21 16:34:52

Thank you FannyC. smile

JaneJudge Sun 02-May-21 16:37:59

Fanny I sent you a PM this week and you didn't reply grin

But why are people sending nasty PMs? this comes up quite a lot doesn't it?

Hello PurplePixie smile

FannyCornforth Sun 02-May-21 16:45:49

Oh Jane - I'm sorry; I must have missed it.
Yes, I don't get the nasty pm thing either. I know that it does happen, but only in very odd circumstances.

foxie48 Sun 02-May-21 16:48:28

I'm also fairly new, I think it's a pity we can't "like" a post as I often agree with something and would like a quick way of showing that. Generally, I've found people friendly though I've had a few, who have not really read my post properly and been very rude. However, I think that's just social media! I also don't know how to make someone's name bold on a reply!

Chestnut Sun 02-May-21 16:52:44

I can understand if you want an exchange with other posters, I suppose you'll have to seek out the threads that might provide that. There are lots of threads where people are asked to post something (like their favourite song) and this results in endless replies but no responses to any of them. You rarely get a personal response on those threads. Political threads yes, sometimes a heated debate takes place and you often get a response there. When people ask for advice there are lots of replies but few responses. So it often depends on the type of thread and whether it requires any discussion.

Grandmajean Sun 02-May-21 16:55:02

Hi Foxie 48 - I love the idea of a "like" as it shows your post is appreciated but avoids the need for long winded replies to everything !
There are instructions underneath where you add your message to tell you how to do bold.

MerylStreep Sun 02-May-21 16:55:57

Foxie48
Asterisk * then the name/ word then the asterisk at the end.
No spacing after / before the asterisk.
Just give it a try. If it doesn’t work, try again ? what have you got to loose, it’s only us ?

JaneJudge Sun 02-May-21 16:56:30

Grandmajean

Hi Foxie 48 - I love the idea of a "like" as it shows your post is appreciated but avoids the need for long winded replies to everything !
There are instructions underneath where you add your message to tell you how to do bold.

yes I agree with this! a like button would be god as I could have just liked your post

Beechnut Sun 02-May-21 16:59:10

foxie to make names bold put one of these * either side of the name with no gaps.

Beechnut Sun 02-May-21 17:01:42

Whoops, posted that without refreshing to see if it was answered.

MerylStreep Sun 02-May-21 17:02:02

An OP from a poster who complains that she’s being ignored ( when she’s not) and doesn’t reply to the kind people ( not me)
who have taken the trouble to reply kindly and give a welcome.
Oh the irony.

hollysteers Sun 02-May-21 17:06:35

Hi Purplepixie I’m sorry you feel this way about the morning thread. I remember you mentioned me as you found something I said amusing and it’s very true that it’s nice to be remarked on, but I never expect it.
I like to check in and say a few things as it helps me believe I actually exist, living alone during lockdown!
I have always kept a diary or journal, but now seem to just use Gransnet (and it’s safer...)
I’m not a morning person at all and am very impressed by the very early risers full of activity, I drag myself around sluggishly first thing and sometimes don’t have much to say but find the minutiae of peoples lives fascinating. That’s the key, being interested in other people.
Keep painting and posting.

BlueBelle Sun 02-May-21 17:13:53

A like button would be a dream from heaven because you would know your post had been acknowledged without having to post a reply and would feel so much more inclusive and friendly

Ro60 Sun 02-May-21 17:14:12

I imagine GN as one big coffee morning with several tables (the threads),
In RL out of a group of people one wouldn't answer ever comment in the conversation, but just by being there does include you.

Apologies if I haven't acknowledged comments. Sometimes I don't know what to say or the thread has moved on.

kittylester Sun 02-May-21 17:16:14

Well, I saw a reply from purplepixie so dont stir it merylstreep.

When the Gm thread was started by Mick way back in the mists of time, it was just a 'Good Morning from wherever, the weather is flipping awful/really sunny/ peeing with rain etc and few words about our plans. I don't have time, first thing, to do all the responding stuff, so I don't!

Nowadays that flipping Urmston wants to know what your house is worth! grin

Nannagarra Sun 02-May-21 17:16:34

MerylStreep

An OP from a poster who complains that she’s being ignored ( when she’s not) and doesn’t reply to the kind people ( not me)
who have taken the trouble to reply kindly and give a welcome.
Oh the irony.

If you're referring to Purplepixie she replied and thanked us at 14.58.

Blossoming Sun 02-May-21 17:19:30

MerylStreep The OP has replied, thanking people. You must have scrolled past accidentally.

FannyCornforth Sun 02-May-21 18:22:53

I'm with Meryl.
I assumed that Purplepixie wanted some sort of conversation, not just a message of acknowledgement?

FannyCornforth Sun 02-May-21 18:27:35

BlueBelle

A like button would be a dream from heaven because you would know your post had been acknowledged without having to post a reply and would feel so much more inclusive and friendly

No. A 'like' button is terrible.
It stops people from interacting properly.
It just becomes a binary decision ie like / don't like.
The more that I think about it, the more I'm against it. It is very Orwellian

kittylester Sun 02-May-21 18:32:27

I agree Fanny.

mokryna Sun 02-May-21 18:47:36

I agree Fanny