Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is my partner rude to me?

(104 Posts)
Shangela123 Thu 20-May-21 20:17:11

I do have tendency to be overly sensitive so feel free to tell me if I am being.
Been together a year and live together, I just have this feeling that he gets easily irritated by me and feels he has to correct me a lot.

If he's speaking, I might say things like 'Oh cool!" "oh really?" Whilst he's telling a story for instance. I don't interrupt him and start speaking.
He gets annoyed at this and says I have to wait until he's completely finished before interjecting in any way.
If I mishear things he gets annoyed. I think we all mishear things sometimes, it's not like it's every word. He points at my ears and says "Are these things working or what?" Or says I "never listen properly" Which is totally untrue.

He mocked me because I didn't know the name of a particular bird and laughs because I mispronounced words like 'cedar'.

Today he was telling me about something his Mum did when he was younger which was quite cruel, and i said "Wow, I don't really know what to say." He said "You don't have to say anything, you really don't have to react to everything that I say."

Sometimes we'll be talking about a topic (well he will) , I will add an opinion and he'll say "Ermm..ok.. what do you want me to say to that?"
Or he will say "I have no idea what you're talking about" / "That's nothing to do with what I'm talking about" which irritates me as it's wrong.
The other day we went out on a trip and he joked about how I have "so many errors". I just got annoyed and said "It's a shame we aren't all like you then isn't it."

He does seem to realise sometimes when he's like this and will give me a hug.

The other day without me saying anything he told me he felt he had been quite rude and that he was sorry. I said that he had and he said that if somebody was like that with him that he wouldn't want to be with them.

He then said he has "very high standards that people don't match up to."

It did hurt for him to imply that I don't meet his standards and I wondered if he sees himself as superior to me. I asked him this and he said no he doesn't.

He himself has a mild learning difficulty which sometimes means that his mind will go blank and he forgets his words. He takes medication to help it and I know it gets him down, but never once have I made fun of it or got frustrated by it.

I know that people can get frustrated when living together and maybe I'm overreacting. It's just getting me down and making me scared to speak or say the wrong thing.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 21:23:41

Is he on the autistic spectrum?

nadateturbe Thu 20-May-21 21:23:59

exolain explain

3dognight Thu 20-May-21 21:26:03

It’s difficult to answer the above, however let all this be a warning sign. Try to make some plans that don’t include him. Can you have a few days away to think about things: how he reacts on your return would be a deciding factor (for me anyway).

As for being suited more to some one else, personally I would not worry about it.

You sound a lovely lady, and I do understand the issues around this.
Difficult situation for you.

You can do better without him.

Sara1954 Thu 20-May-21 21:32:04

None of this is your fault, stop thinking it is and get rid of him quick.
Apologies if I’ve missed something, but whose home do you live in? Or have you bought your home together? Either way you have to disentangle yourself.
You sound to me like you want someone to say ‘oh that’s quite normal, a lot of blokes are like that’ well it isn’t normal, it’s mean spiteful and insulting.
Don’t waste any more time on him.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 21:45:57

I think this sounds like coercive control.

BlueBelle Thu 20-May-21 22:06:39

Is he autistic ?

nadateturbe Fri 21-May-21 02:24:04

BlueBelle

Is he autistic ?

That thought occurred to me, but it wouldn't make me stay. Better to leave now than have years of mental abuse and then realise you should have done it sooner.

Ro60 Fri 21-May-21 02:26:38

Both autistic & Gas-lighting came to mind as I read your post too.
Passive - agressive.
You've tried to talk to him but he doesn't seem to want to change. Get out before he pulls you down further.

BlueberryPie Fri 21-May-21 03:34:24

Oh, no. You need to put him in his place. Whenever he opens his pie hole inappropriately (and "inappropriately" means any way you don't like!) try saying "Shut up, dick."

Come back and report the results. :p

Kiwigramz Fri 21-May-21 05:39:17

By doing this to you he is belittling you and will gradually take your confidence in yourself away. Don’t let him do it. If necessary leave him. It is a form of mental cruelty I believe.

FannyCornforth Fri 21-May-21 05:47:37

I think that it's very sad and upsetting that many posters are blaming this man's abusive behaviour on what they believe is to be an autistic spectrum condition.

Shangela I think that he's trying to make you feel like you are lucky to have him. You most definitely aren't!
I had a clown like this once. His name was Steve. He was a right dipstick.

SpringyChicken Fri 21-May-21 06:50:41

This is not the long term relationship for you. Don’t let it drag on for years before ending it. The right person for you is out there somewhere and you won’t find him if you stay with this man.
He will tolerate you because you contribute much - you say you help him financially which is a powerful plus point from his point of view. But clearly, you irritate him and as time passes it won’t improve.

nanna8 Fri 21-May-21 07:18:34

I would get out right now, whilst you can because it will probably get worse. Don't live your life like this, you deserve better than that. Good luck and courage to you!

Oldwoman70 Fri 21-May-21 07:24:30

This sounds like very controlling behaviour. Belittling you to destroy your self confidence. You say you are "over sensitive" - who told you that? Is this something he tells you? At the moment you are standing up to him so he will say he is sorry - how long before he uses the "over sensitive" comment to further destroy your self confidence.

You almost ended it once but stayed because "he didn't want it to end" - what did YOU want? In your position I would leave now before his controlling behaviour gets any worse.

M0nica Fri 21-May-21 07:29:00

The picture you paint is of the early stages of an abusive relationship.

everything is lovely and hunky dory to begin with, then the criticisms start, of ourse he is apologetic, but someone who is apologetic then tries not to do what they have been doing, he isn't.

The next stage sees the end of the apologies and his mental control of you growing, -then, possibly - using physical means to stop you when you complain.

You too sound very needy, supporting him financially and staying with him when he abuses you as he does. A partner in life is nice to have, but every woman should be capable of standing on her own 2 feet and manage without one.

I am sure you can as well. You do not need this man and he could possibly be a danger to you. Either pack your bags and go or give him his marching orders and give him a week to get out, and I mean a week, no extensions because he says he has nowhere to go, or cries and says he will change. he won't.

MayBee70 Fri 21-May-21 07:37:47

FannyCornforth

I think that it's very sad and upsetting that many posters are blaming this man's abusive behaviour on what they believe is to be an autistic spectrum condition.

Shangela I think that he's trying to make you feel like you are lucky to have him. You most definitely aren't!
I had a clown like this once. His name was Steve. He was a right dipstick.

The reason I mentioned it was because I believe that my ex was on the spectrum and he spoke to me in a similar way. Even our daughter believed this to be true. He just wanted everything explained clearly and precisely and would put me down if I repeated myself. He was /is a really lovely kind person in many ways but it was only when the marriage was over that I realised how unhappy and lonely I had been with him.

harrigran Fri 21-May-21 07:57:36

Shangela, I think you have acquired a friend's ex, she got rid because of the exact same traits he displayed.
Please don't be a doormat.

Elizabeth1 Fri 21-May-21 08:01:51

Sorry everyone I’m not sure I agree with most of your posts. After a long time being married experience has taught me to listen more and learn sometimes to keep my mouth shut I too can give an opinion different from himself doesn’t mean to say I’m rude perhaps keeping mum will help! there’s worse things at sea as they say - grow a pair you’ll get through this.wink

MayBee70 Fri 21-May-21 08:03:59

Grow a pair?

Shangela123 Fri 21-May-21 08:04:05

He has ADHD, it has been suspected that he's on the autistic spectrum, a few people have suggested it but never been diagnosed.
It's hard to leave after a year.
I supported him whilst he was out of work but I've said I want the money back once he's paid.
I need to be stronger though and leave.

seacliff Fri 21-May-21 08:05:17

Does he make you feel good about yourself, and wonderfully happy?

That's how you SHOULD feel in a relatively new relationship. If the answer is No, then end it now. There's someone lovely and supportive and kind out there, who you have yet to meet.

MayBee70 Fri 21-May-21 08:06:56

You are stronger than you think. He’s made you feel you’re not strong. Is there anyone in your life that can help you?

H1954 Fri 21-May-21 08:09:01

Shangela123

Do you think it's just me who makes him this way and that he'd be suited to someone else ?

No, it is not just you! For the sake of your own sanity and self esteem move on.

He is nothing short of a controlling bully! He was obviously intelligent enough to actually get in to university and seemingly he is using that intelligence to manipulate you.

How many more guilt trips is he going to send you on before you open your eyes?

You deserve so much better than this.

greenlady102 Fri 21-May-21 08:09:04

Leave. Now.

downtoearth Fri 21-May-21 08:10:21

I hope you are not my sister in law, because he sounds just like my brother, who has got worse with age[flowers.
I realise it will be hard to disentangle yourself, but be brave, this is no life for you.