Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is fifty years not enough?

(118 Posts)
Quizzer Sun 19-Sep-21 14:43:58

Am I being unreasonable to expect my husband to mark our Golden Wedding in some way. We are comfortably off but he has never been good at buying presents usually saying “you buy something for yourself”. However I had hoped that on this special occasion he might make the effort. He did buy a card, but an ordinary anniversary card not one for a golden wedding. That was it, nothing else.
I had bought him an expensive special present that I knew he had admired but when I received nothing that day, not even a bunch of supermarket flowers, I didn’t give it to him and have since returned it to the shop. Maybe not the right thing to do, perhaps I should have embarrassed him by giving it. It just makes me feel unappreciated.

JdotJ Mon 20-Sep-21 11:41:17

Did you receive cards from anyone else, stating Golden Wedding on them. Has he noticed?
Do you have children who could have 'gently' reminded him ?
I would also be hurt and somewhat annoyed but probably in the lead up I would have said 'what shall we get each other for our golden wedding?

Eloethan Mon 20-Sep-21 11:44:04

I agree with the comment asking whether he has (mostly, I would add) treated you with love and kindness throughout your 50 years together. No fancy card or present can make up for years of being vaguely unhappy.

Personally, I wouldn't have taken his present back. Perhaps when he saw that the day was something special to you he might have suggested going out somewhere nice or having a couple of days away.

To be honest, I don't really like receiving presents. I find it embarrassing and difficult to feign pleasure when I get something that I really don't want. And that makes me feel awful when I know someone has gone to the trouble of buying something. I do like to receive a nice card though.

Saggi Mon 20-Sep-21 11:48:09

Ditto … my husband. Most men are NOT like this …. no other man in my family anyway. They just dont care about their wives enough to make them happy.I know mine doesn’t . .

Yammy Mon 20-Sep-21 11:56:01

My DH has always remembers anniversaries birthdays etc. The cards are often not what a woman would choose, flowers vary from supermarket to delivery. I probably go to a bit more trouble with him. I knew from the start what he was like when my 21 key was in a box marked male, and another was wrapped in a vest box from the Co-op.
Go out and buy something together, maybe a painting of somewhere you have been or liked. For our 40th years ago now we bought two paintings of the view we always saw when we went on the beach as children . My DD got a lovely one of the town they married in for their wedding anniversary.
My husband has never been one for jewellery, never worn a wedding ring which was upsetting at the time until his friend lost his on purpose down the toilet. Though he does buy me things.
It's not an insult they are just different to us, though some women don't care either.
Tell him you think it is something special to celebrate and ask for his suggestions I wouldn't tell about the present you took back it sounds petty.
I hope you come up with something that pleases you both.{flowers}

CrazyGrandma2 Mon 20-Sep-21 11:59:36

My DH makes cards. Some years ago he made a great anniversary card which was written "to us and from us". It lives on the wall in the study and gets brought into the lounge on the appropriate day. We both know how much we mean to each other and don't feel the need to exchange cards and presents.

Next year is our golden wedding and we have already agreed that it warrants the making of a new card. I'm sure we'll mark the day somehow, as we have done the last 49.

I also agree with Baggs. Why should it be up the man to organise it?

oldstuuk Mon 20-Sep-21 12:05:16

I believe there are only a few of us, I may be wrong, who try to do something special for an anniversary. We have just celebrated our 55th, that's Emerald and I managed to find a card for my wife with both 55 on and Emerald. We celebrated our Golden Anniversary with a dinner at a local hotel for 40 guests including our bridesmaid and page boys and our friends from years gone by. No dinner this year due to pandemic and my wife being critically vulnerable due to Myeloma/Covid, but a 5 day break at the end of this week in a Railway themed hotel in the New Forest should make up for that.

MaggsMcG Mon 20-Sep-21 12:06:04

I think others have got it right here, if he never bothered before then why would you expect him to now. My DH was in hospital on our 50th last November but he arranged for my daughter to get something delivered for me and my daughter and I drove to the hospital and waved to him through the window. He was home for Christmas and did the same, asking my daughter to buy stuff on kine for me a d treating me to a years Disney+ subscription. He's always been like that. Unfortunately he got readmitted to hospital in January and contracted Covid-19 whilst in there so there will be no more spoiling me. Be happy you are still alive. Although if you are not happy with him then make your own happiness within the marriage and leave him to his miserable self.

Blackcat3 Mon 20-Sep-21 12:09:51

Well if he hasn’t done anything for 50 years he won’t start now! You let him get away with indifference for too long….my ex was like that…..but if you’ve been together 50 years there must be love there so that should be celebrated….do you need a showy gift?.

PinkCosmos Mon 20-Sep-21 12:16:47

Dinahmo - I don’t think my Dh has ever organised a holiday in all our 50 years

If I waited for my DH to organise a holiday we would never go anywhere.

I do all of the holiday organising. DH is always happy to go.

I am not prepared to cut my nose off to spite my face - as they say

JadeOlivia Mon 20-Sep-21 12:21:50

After many years of birthdays, Chrustmas, St Valentine' s day, presents for birth of children and anniversaries ......phew! It is difficult for us all to find something we are sure would please. As an anniversary is about you both, you could ( still) suggest a show in London, tea at the Ritz, the new restaurant down the road etc etc. Time to lower your expectations methinks ...and realise that it will only happen if you research, suggest, book ..etc yourself!

helenmabr Mon 20-Sep-21 12:25:59

I am clearly of a different mindset, l love celebrating special occasions! To me if a person has taken the time and trouble in their busy schedule to make time to buy and send a card, to me it speaks volumes. Every big milestone we have celebrated in one way or another and now can look back over all those special celebrations with lovely memories, surely that’s important in life , making brilliant memories for as many people as possible! I would be devastated if my husband didn’t bother

thuberon Mon 20-Sep-21 12:36:57

Been with my chap 40+ years. Many years ago, to save disappointment (mine) we agreed (amicably) that we could not give cards or gifts to each other for any occasion but would give each other a book at Christmas. One Christmas about 20 years ago he gave me a Travel Guide to Berlin. I thought surely a trip would follow. He never mentioned Berlin again. Next Christmas I suggested (without mentioning Berlin) that we not bother with the book thing.

Juliecymru Mon 20-Sep-21 13:14:37

It’s not too late to train him up. It is possible to teach old dogs new tricks. If gifts and celebrations are meaningful for you embrace it and make it a project to ensure that from now on he knows it. Because you’re worth it as they say. Lots of reminders ( not hints) , directions of what sort of thing you’d like him to buy and when - direct him . If you keep at it for each and every birthday, anniversary - yours and other people’s, you’ll get what you want and in time he may get a glimmer of the idea that this is important to you. He probably has had all this sort of social oiling of the wheels done for him so he’s had a gap in his education .

SkyBird Mon 20-Sep-21 13:39:06

I think that it was quite spiteful of you returning the gift that you bought for him. Especially as it was something that he had admired. I never expect to be given a gift because I had bought one. After fifty years of marriage you ought to have discussed your expectations with your husband. It's a running joke in our family that I purchase ALL the cards including those intended for myself.

moorlikeit Mon 20-Sep-21 13:41:44

As usual so many harsh responses that it makes me wonder why people post on here at all.
Quizzer felt hurt and, no matter whether one thinks it justified or not, deserves some kind words not a bruising critique. I think she indicates herself that she's not proud of having returned the present so there is no need to rub salt in the wounds.
For what it's worth, I do sympathise with the OP and feel that she should tell her husband how she felt at his paltry marking of this occasion. If he responds with an apology, then he is probably a decent chap and a belated lowkey celebration could be mutually agreed to.
Quizzer, I hope you are able to get past this upset and move on.

crazyH Mon 20-Sep-21 14:06:20

Quizzes, please don’t stay upset for too long. Flowers and gifts mean nothing. I’m sure I have mentioned this earlier, but I’m too lazy to check. My husband (now ex) bought me expensive presents and bunches of red roses, all the time he was having an affair. He eventually left me for her. It doesn’t mean a thing Quizzer, but ofcourse, I can understand how hurt you are ..

Dinahmo Mon 20-Sep-21 14:12:01

Plnkcosmos I do the same. I think about where I'd like to go and then ask which one do you fancy. Then I organise it. I always show my OH photos of the hotel or the gite or whatever we will be staying in. He's happy to let me get on with it and I like doing the planning.

When we lived in England I had a friend who used to say things like "I'd like D to take me on holiday to..." Or "I'd like D to buy this for my birthday." My response was why not just buy it for yourself? (She could afford it) One year we were on holiday with a group of friends and this couple were with us for the first week. After they'd returned home we received a telegram asking us to buy a necklace that she'd been admiring and to bring it to her birthday party, without letting on.

Like my own, this friend's OH was very thoughtful and helpful almost all of the time. What more could you want?

helen2020 Mon 20-Sep-21 14:33:59

My husband never bothered to buy cards and was hopeless with presents. But I always arranged something and said " we are doing this for our anniversary etc" I booked holidays as well which he enjoyed. I was never cross that he didn't put in the effort. I have just lost him and would gladly have him back with all his faults.

Bugbabe2019 Mon 20-Sep-21 14:39:08

He’s selfish
Sorry you’ve had to put up with that for 50 years!

Bijou Mon 20-Sep-21 14:39:21

My husband and I never bothered about presents or cards preferring ‘unbirthdays’. We were devoted to one another but he unfortunately he died after forty years after a very happy marriage. When I sent my son and wife some golden rose plants for their golden wedding anniversary he said that they did not celebrate occasions. They too are very happy.

NotSpaghetti Mon 20-Sep-21 14:46:28

Where is Quizzer?
I don’t think she’s been back…

kwest Mon 20-Sep-21 15:44:16

We have been married 53 years. We are closer now than we have ever been. We would not buy cards for each other but we would choose to mark the event by maybe one or two nights in a really nice hotel or buy something we choose together for the house. We don't think that love is shown by cards but in the lots of lovely little thoughtful things on a daily basis. I thank God that I still have my husband every day. Many of my friends are no longer in this position.

narrowboatnan Mon 20-Sep-21 16:06:49

Maybe I’m just odd, but I’ve never understood why people buy each other wedding anniversary presents. It’s the anniversary of both of parties, so we’ve always marked the day with a special outing or a present that we can both enjoy.

Mistyfluff8 Mon 20-Sep-21 16:28:09

My husband is like that I often give clangers but he takes no notice.I think his dad was like that and Mother’s Day is always what they liked not her I drop so many hints in the end I will book it myself Australia here I come

Judy54 Mon 20-Sep-21 16:44:35

I agree with kwest mark it by doing something together or buying something for the house. Love is as you say kwest shown by the thoughtful things done on a daily basis. I too thank God I still have my Husband even though he has health problems as many of my friends have also lost their Partners, we count ourselves lucky to still have each other.