Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit is the cause of the shortages

(313 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

MaggieTulliver Mon 04-Oct-21 07:30:56

The foreign media seem to think we only have ourselves to blame for the current shortages because we voted for Brexit and I totally agree. The current posturing of this hopeless government says it all and the fact that Boris is offering temporary visas to foreign drivers is pathetic and an admission that it’s Brexit that has caused the current problems. Please try to convince me that Brexit has been good for our country - I’ve been angry about it since 2016! www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/03/only-yourselves-to-blame-uks-shortages-seen-from-abroad

Eviebeanz Mon 04-Oct-21 07:47:43

I may not be the right person to respond as I can't convince you that Brexit has been a good thing because I don't believe that. I didn't believe it before it happened and I'm more convinced now. It angers me to know that people who had made lives here and worked here happily were made to leave and that people from these same countries are now being begged to return and have to be paid a premium to do so. When will we ever learn. ?

MaggieTulliver Mon 04-Oct-21 08:02:07

No happy to get posts from people who thought Brexit a bad idea Evie. It makes us look like a laughing stock to the rest of the world and am sad and angry that my 90 year old German mum who has lived here for about ver 60 years had to apply for settled status.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 08:07:18

The Tories are working overtime to convince the gullible that it will be all worth it in the end.

About the only ones in the world who believe it.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 08:15:57

What we must begin to accept if this ridiculous idea of Brexit and no immigration continues is that production drives the demand for Labour. The more productive a country is the higher it’s GDP is. In the U.K. there is a limited supply of Labour.

See where I’m going with this?

Limit the supply of Labour and the ability to expand our production is limited.

This GDP will also be limited.

Our ability to grow will be limited. The U.K. will be poorer as a result.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 08:16:33

Well it seems it might be about to get worse (before it gets better hopefully). Lord Frost has drawn up plans & he will announce at the Conservative party conference here in Manchester today that the UK will trigger Article 16 before the end of the year.

Our economy is booming. The EU (protectionist) stance is stymieing our growth. They are probably still worried that other countries in the bloc would like to exit...

Time to fill the shelves with goods in N.I. and say to the EU ‘right, over to you if you want to put a border on the island of Ireland’. They won’t.

How would France like it if we’d annexed Corsica?

The red wall will like this. It’s what they loaned their votes to Boris for. I did too.

Sorry you are still annoyed since 2016 MaggieTulliver. Nothing I can say will lower your blood pressure. Probably the reverse!

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 08:18:38

P.s. I don’t like being termed ‘gullible’.

Kandinsky Mon 04-Oct-21 08:20:54

Why do you care what the foreign media think of us? They’re still bitter & angry that we left! especially Germany because now they have to pay more in.
And why does anyone need to convince you that leaving the EU is a good thing? who are you? You’ll never agree anyway. . God himself could tell you it’s great & you still wouldn’t believe it.

Please - for your own sanity - accept that we’ve left. Stop reading German media because it’s all just sour grapes.
And it might be an idea to see your GP if you’ve been angry since 2016. I’m sure they can suggest some sort of counselling service.

MaggieTulliver Mon 04-Oct-21 08:28:47

You sound very angry Kandinsky, surely you’re old enough to not slag off and belittle total strangers on the internet. I suggest it’s you who should go and see your GP and ask to go on an anger management course ? PS the foreign media don’t give a toss that we left and the rest of Europe are doing just fine without us. PPS the US isn’t in Europe

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 08:29:51

Wilfully remaining within the Protocol is the act of suicide. May’s negotiation (she & Ollie Robbins we’re ardent Remainers remember so this soft fudge suited them down to the ground) and acceptance of it, which trapped Boris, was the stupidest political act in British history.

rosie1959 Mon 04-Oct-21 08:32:17

I was angry at the result of the referendum but hanging on to that anger would now be pointless it's done and we have to get on with it.
I can't say anything to make you feel better

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 08:32:46

Urmstongran

Wilfully remaining within the Protocol is the act of suicide. May’s negotiation (she & Ollie Robbins we’re ardent Remainers remember so this soft fudge suited them down to the ground) and acceptance of it, which trapped Boris, was the stupidest political act in British history.

I suggest you find out a bit more about British history.

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 08:34:44

The best solution long-term would be to reunite the island of Ireland.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 08:34:48

Labour should be seen as capital.

If a business wishes to expand first it tries to attract inward investment. In large global companies this investment will come from anywhere in the world.

Once it begins to expand it may need extra Labour. Within any one country Labour is a finite source. If a company can’t find the Labour capital it needs it will seek elsewhere if necessary. Ease of immigration (and we aren’t talking uncontrolled here) helps the company and the country to grow.

Kandinsky Mon 04-Oct-21 08:47:53

Oh I’m angry about lots of things MaggieTulliver - but thankfully leaving a trading bloc isn’t one of them.
Please see your GP if this anger doesn’t subside.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 08:47:55

We have a million people coming off furlough now.
Let’s see how many fill those job vacancies. Hopefully a good number!

C’mon Lord Frost! Just get on with triggering Article 16 - Listen to the advice of IDS for once. He's the only Conservative talking sense at the moment.

I’m going to tune in at 9:15am on TV to hear what Frosty has to say at the Conference about it all. Remember, he’s the ‘details’ man that the others look to. A very clever man imo.

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 08:52:45

Kandinsky

Oh I’m angry about lots of things MaggieTulliver - but thankfully leaving a trading bloc isn’t one of them.
Please see your GP if this anger doesn’t subside.

MaggieTulliver isn't the one with problems.

BlueBelle Mon 04-Oct-21 08:53:32

Why do you care what the foreign media think of us? They’re still bitter & angry that we left! especially Germany because now they have to pay more

Kandinsky I m still very bitter and angry that we left the EU I m angry for myself, my children, and more importantly my grandchildren, we have lost so much, on the votes of such a TINY few
People like you need to open their eyes and realise what you have done to this country
umstrongran Johnson himself was a remainer until his little beady eyes lit up at the idea of achieving premiership if he became a turncoat

And it might be an idea to see your GP if you’ve been angry since 2016. I’m sure they can suggest some sort of counselling service.
Disgusting that just shows you up kadindsky

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 08:53:45

Urmstongran

We have a million people coming off furlough now.
Let’s see how many fill those job vacancies. Hopefully a good number!

C’mon Lord Frost! Just get on with triggering Article 16 - Listen to the advice of IDS for once. He's the only Conservative talking sense at the moment.

I’m going to tune in at 9:15am on TV to hear what Frosty has to say at the Conference about it all. Remember, he’s the ‘details’ man that the others look to. A very clever man imo.

Good grief! You set a low bar.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 08:58:08

ug those people coming off furlough have jobs!! Otherwise they wouldn’t be on furlough they would be unemployed.

Kandinsky Mon 04-Oct-21 08:58:25

Doesn’t show me up at all.
If someone has been angry about something for almost 6 years it’s a cause for concern, especially as the thing they’re angry about cannot be changed.
These feelings of anger can lead to depression and should be taken seriously.

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 09:02:09

Kandinsky

Doesn’t show me up at all.
If someone has been angry about something for almost 6 years it’s a cause for concern, especially as the thing they’re angry about cannot be changed.
These feelings of anger can lead to depression and should be taken seriously.

No, the cause of the anger is perfectly rational.

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 09:02:26

What you wrote was vile.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 09:03:12

I know that WWmk2 I’m not that dim! But the word is that will those firms using furlough survive once it’s withdrawn? Job vacancies + people looking for work soon = a good match perhaps.

maddyone Mon 04-Oct-21 09:04:52

Why have France, Poland and other EU countries got shortages of drivers then?