Gransnet forums

AIBU

Speak to the parents

(83 Posts)
Beswitched Wed 27-Oct-21 10:14:38

A friend lives on a newish housing estate with lots of young children. Some of them are quite badly behaved, but anyone telling them off for running across their flowerbeds, doing damage to the communal bin sheds etc has been indignantly informed that they "should have spoken to us" by their parents.
Yesterday afternoon some kids were kicking footballs repeatedly against her car so she went out and asked them where they lived so she could do as asked and speak to their parents. She has now been accused of being confrontational and upsetting one of the children by asking that question.

I asked a couple of kids where they lived recently as they were screaming and shouting directly outside my house at 11 pm and they told me I'm not allowed ask them that as it's 'stranger danger'.

So we're not allowed address the children directly, and we're not allowed ask them where they live so we can talk to their parents.

How are you supposed to deal with brattish kids nowadays?

Audi10 Sun 31-Oct-21 10:19:01

It is very unsettling one of my friends had that happen quite regularly but it was a football being kicked repeatedly at the side of her house,despite their being a park very close by, it drive her bonkers, made no difference at all speaking to the parents, in the end she moved to a quieter area, no probs now she’s much happier

Beswitched Sun 31-Oct-21 12:28:42

elfies

The worst behaviour I ever witnessed was a class of school children having a swimming lesson , which my heart group had to walk past to get to our pool . As the first large elderly lady passed them they all howled and yipped like dogs ,and not one teacher or pool assistant said a word . I was mortified for her . Health benefit or not , I never went back to continue my rehab course .

That is shocking. Why don't teachers say anything nowadays? I've seen mayhem at supervised trips to the theatre while teachers sit apart from the pupils and do nothing.
A friend of mine rang her local school after witnessing pupils on an outing with a teacher take up all the seats on the bus including the priority seats while very elderly people stood. Again the teacher did nothing.

M0nica Mon 01-Nov-21 10:41:21

The teachers cannot see what the problen is, it is how their children behave.

Lauren59 Mon 01-Nov-21 11:33:58

As a retired teacher, I know that a teacher who would allow that kind of behavior is a teacher who is unable to effectively control their class. A teacher like that has no business taking a class on a trip outside of school!

Yammy Mon 01-Nov-21 11:47:25

Lauren59

As a retired teacher, I know that a teacher who would allow that kind of behavior is a teacher who is unable to effectively control their class. A teacher like that has no business taking a class on a trip outside of school!

As an ex-teacher myself I agree. Unfortunately, such teachers do exist these days and in my final years working was laughed at by them for being so strict. Disciplining children was never taught when I trained you picked it up from the other older members of staff and soon learned to control a class.
Those teachers that laughed at me will now be the older members of staff so will not be setting a good example to the younger ones.

Lauren59 Tue 02-Nov-21 23:50:04

Yammy

Lauren59

As an ex-teacher myself I agree. Unfortunately, such teachers do exist these days and in my final years working was laughed at by them for being so strict. Disciplining children was never taught when I trained you picked it up from the other older members of staff and soon learned to control a class.
Those teachers that laughed at me will now be the older members of staff so will not be setting a good example to the younger ones.

Yummy, I was the same. I had a good relationship with my young students, but I didn’t try to be their fun friend. That’s one of the issues I’ve seen with younger teachers. A teacher needs to have control or teaching and learning doesn’t take place.

Ali08 Sat 06-Nov-21 11:29:36

lindiann

I had a child about 10 trying to buy cigarettes, when I refused she went and got her Dad who had a go because he had been. watching Football. With a Smug look "that told you" on her face she walked out the door and stuck two fingers up

I'd have said, "Well you buy her bl%%dy fags for her, then!!"