Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think friend was disrespectful

(207 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 23-Jan-22 13:21:12

A friend and I have been helping out an elderly man whilst his wife was in hospital for an operation (shopping, cooking etc.). His wife is now back home and fully recovered. As a thank you they offered to take us out for a meal (wouldn't take no for an answer).

When I called to collect my friend she had made no effort in her appearance (wearing same clothes as when I saw her earlier in the day). I had showered, changed and even put on make up (rare for me). I felt as this couple were being kind enough to take us for a meal, it was disrespectful not to make an effort with her appearance. What do other GNs think? I would add that whilst it wasn't an "up market" restaurant - it wasn't the local pub either

Lucca Tue 25-Jan-22 08:28:00

????

MayBeMaw Tue 25-Jan-22 10:03:46

Posters have made their point, very robustly. The OP now appears to have left the thread. Why keep on and on and on at her?

?‍??‍??‍??‍??‍?

Beswitched Tue 25-Jan-22 13:10:12

Exactly.

granny1239 Tue 25-Jan-22 18:04:49

It’s not unreasonable to expect your friend to dress up for a dining experience . Has she not shown this side of herself before ?

Lizbethann55 Tue 25-Jan-22 19:46:29

I disagree with most people here. I think your friend should have made some sort of effort. No one would have expected best bib and tucker, but as a sign of gratitude and respect to the elderly couple, who obviously viewed the occasion as an important one, then a change of clothes to suit the event and as a sign of respect and appreciation, would have been appropriate. Added to which, presumably she had taken at least some of her clothes off in order to have a half decent wash, so it would not have been difficult to put a fresh top on.

Eloethan Thu 27-Jan-22 23:31:46

Some people aren't that bothered about dressing up to go out. I can't say I would necessarily get changed if I looked reasonably clean and tidy.

The important thing was that your friend helped out when needed and what she chose to wear is, in my opinion, irrelevant.