Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hen parties

(160 Posts)
Beswitched Thu 27-Jan-22 15:50:54

My niece has been invited to a hen party in April that is going to cost about €400.
It's a weekend away in a seaside spa hotel and includes 2 nights accommodation sharing rooms, a couple of spa treatments, a dinner on the first night, and a 'party bus' to take them to a nightclub in a nearby town. The €500 includes pitching in for the bride's meal and accommodation costs.
They will also have to pay for drinks, train fares, entry into the nightclub, lunches and pizza and wine on the 2nd night.
She is getting married herself later this year and really can't afford this, but is being pressurised by the bridesmaids, told her friend will be so disappointed if she doesn't come etc

AIBU to think this is ridiculous and hen parties are getting way out of control. My niece reckons she'll be down about 600 euro when everything is taken into account.

I saw a similar thread on Mumsnet today. Attending a wedding is expensive enough nowadays without these costly weekends away being added to the mix.

Maggiemaybe Thu 27-Jan-22 18:39:19

Ladyleftfieldlover

My Australian niece had a Hen party which included a Life Drawing class with a handsome young man. I didn’t have a hen do in 1976. Had they been invented?

I had one in 1977. An hour or so at the (to us) very sophisticated wine bar that had just opened in town, followed by the disco up the road. I think we might have gone quite mad and had taxis home.

silverlining48 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:41:17

Married in the late 60s I hadnt heard of hen nights.

Dickens Thu 27-Jan-22 18:43:48

Kali2

Totally ridiculous- same with baby showers, etc!

I'm of the same opinion.

It's just a commercial rip-off.

Surely it's possible to arrange a last night out with your friends doing something that's fun and inexpensive? Why a whole weekend?

I can't even begin to understand 'baby showers' - although I understand they date back centuries, but were more a celebration / ritual after the baby was born, in ancient times.

eazybee Thu 27-Jan-22 18:47:48

My son and daughter in law were married last year at the end of lockdown, and both were relieved not to have to go on expensive hen/stag weekends.
Oddly, it is the 'stags' who are now pressurising for a stag do after the wedding; all married with young children and desperate for a weekend away.

Dickens Thu 27-Jan-22 18:55:01

Terribull

Interesting and detailed post. That bride's mother needs a lesson or two in the art of good manners - she sounds an utter nightmare. I'm glad the invitee didn't go to the do. The absolute cheek of some people is mind boggling!

Madgran77 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:55:27

She doesn't want a hen party at all and has warned her 2 bridesmaids not to organise one. At most she will agree to a meal and a few drinks somewhere local.

Sounds very sensible! And a few drinks is a thoughtful compromise for a bit of fun without putting anyone in a difficult position over what they can afford!

MissAdventure Thu 27-Jan-22 18:58:00

I can't understand how people feel railroaded into spending ridiculous amounts on things they don't want to do.
Our lives, our rules, no is a complete sentence, and all that jazz.

Pepper59 Thu 27-Jan-22 19:02:26

I don't know where they get the money. I went out for a meal and then a few drinks in my hometown. I don't understand why every occasion nowadays has to be abroad. I was too busy trying to save for a house.

Beswitched Thu 27-Jan-22 20:56:05

I pity younger people who are at a stage where all their friends are getting married. It must cost an absolute fortune to attend all these weddings abroad and expensive hen parties.

But some people seem to forget that their wedding isn't the centre of everyone else's life and start making ridiculous demands of their guests - expecting friends and relatives to use up their annual leave and holiday budget to attend their weddings in Spain or Italy , assuming everyone will be thrilled to spend a hen weekend shelling out for hotel accommodation, matching t-shirts, salsa classes, go carting sessions, expensive cocktails, limousines etc etc.

Where does it all end?

Not to mention the fireworks, photo booths, ice cream vans, chocolate fountains, and post wedding barbecues that all seem to be part of the deal nowadays.

It's all gone a bit mad.

AreWeThereYet Thu 27-Jan-22 21:11:49

One of my nieces has never married and doesn't seem to want to get married. She has been on six hen weekends over the last 5 years or so, probably costing thousands - she's planning a not-a-hen party for one day in the future so all her friends can treat her for a change! She doesn't mind the cost, they were all close friends or relatives and she has no children and a good job but she is beginning to feel like she is getting the raw end of the deal.

Doodledog Thu 27-Jan-22 22:17:57

. . . she has no children and a good job but she is beginning to feel like she is getting the raw end of the deal.

And there we have it. As I said upthread, it's not just about feeling obliged to the bride, it's about getting your turn when you have spent £££ on going to your friends' lavish celebrations.

Beswitched Fri 28-Jan-22 09:07:54

The crazy thing is that most of these brides have been living with their partners for years and many already have children together. It's nice that they're getting married but it's not the momentous change in their life it used to be. Yet years ago people had much simpler weddings. The focus was on the marriage bit I suppose.

BlueBelle Fri 28-Jan-22 09:14:59

I m afraid although in most things I m pretty forward thinking when it comes to gen dos stag dos and baby silly showers I can’t bear it it’s ridiculous I hope she has the balls to say no

Redhead56 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:27:47

She could simply decline the invitation and say she needs the money for other things. There is no shame in wanting to spend hard earned money wisely.

Lincslass Fri 28-Jan-22 09:54:59

TerriBull

I have followed a few threads on MN on this subject, many of the invitees not wanting to go for one of the following, financial constraints, work commitments, juggling childcare., not enough annual leave to cover that outing and a family holiday. All valid reasons imo. for turning the invitation down, furthermore that should be accepted with grace by the person who has issued the invite. Sadly that is often not the case. On one thread, the imperious invitation issued by the bride's mother said something along the lines, bearing in mind I think the cost of a trip abroad for the hen do was going to cost something in the order of £1,000 "you all have a year to save up, no ifs no buts about the cost" Absolutely staggered at the expectations and front of some people shock none of their business as to what people can or cannot afford. The woman who started the thread and had the invite didn't really want to go due to the cost and having to take time off work, childminding etc. Then at some stage down the line, she had to do an extra shift, hospital worker I believe and missed some Zoom meeting to discuss all the prospective dross they were having to stump up for. Upshot, she was severely admonished for missing the meeting, ostracised by some which happily gave her the impetus to drop out. Unanimously the other posters spurred her on giving her the courage to stick with that decision. Then both she and her husband were ceremoniously dropped by both bride and groom and I think they had their wedding invitation withdrawn too.

Honestly, I feel sorry for many of these young women these days, it honestly wasn't a thing when I was young, maybe a meal out with some close friends but not these expensive week ends, a full week even. often abroad, for something, it seems many feel under immense pressure to go along with. The other thing many state, that they only often know the person getting married and are forced to be closeted with others who they later find the don't like.

All in all it's got sod all to do with marriage and a couple's life ahead. It's such a load of unnecessary bollocks extravagances.

You put it so much better than I could.

Beswitched Fri 28-Jan-22 10:14:06

Redhead56

She could simply decline the invitation and say she needs the money for other things. There is no shame in wanting to spend hard earned money wisely.

She has said to the organisers that she can't really afford it, but is getting the 'Oh Carly will be so disappointed. She'll really want you there. Can you not borrow from your mum/do overtime' pressure.
Her mum has suggested that she contact 'Carly', explain she won't be able to afford to join a hen party but would like to take her out for a meal before the wedding.
They used to share a house with a few others but were never hugely close.

Lucca Fri 28-Jan-22 10:14:12

I would not consider anyone who had one of these extravagant dos to be a friend, just not my sort of person ! And anyone who was insensitive enough not to realise I couldn’t afford it or want it or be able to have the time off work etc would equally not be a good friend.
Why can’t women stick up for themselves and just say no ?

varian Fri 28-Jan-22 10:21:00

I'd never heard of hen parties when we got married in 1966. My husband did have a stag party which, as far as I know, just involved an evening in the pub with a few friends.

henetha Fri 28-Jan-22 10:33:32

I feel I should know about modern hen parties, but I don't! What an obscene waste of money. Have they all gone mad?
I didn't even have any sort of gathering after my wedding, although we did have coffee and biscuits on a train.

Dickens Fri 28-Jan-22 10:45:43

Beswitched

Redhead56

She has said to the organisers that she can't really afford it, but is getting the 'Oh Carly will be so disappointed. She'll really want you there. Can you not borrow from your mum/do overtime' pressure.
Her mum has suggested that she contact 'Carly', explain she won't be able to afford to join a hen party but would like to take her out for a meal before the wedding.
They used to share a house with a few others but were never hugely close.

... emotional claptrap... "Carly" will not spend the whole excursion being "disappointed" and will probably make the most of it.

I really detest this kind of faux emotional blackmail. If people are upfront and tell you that they can't afford it, that should be the end of the matter.

We really do have to impress on some individuals that "no" means "no" and that it's not up for discussion.

Calendargirl Fri 28-Jan-22 10:50:01

I agree with others who have said that years ago, we managed without any of this rubbish, yet nowadays, when they have lived together, got a home and possessions, and probably children as well, they want these big, flashy, over-the-top hen parties, plus extravagant wedding to boot.

If Covid and Lockdowns have left us with any pointers for the future, scaled down weddings and hen/stag parties would be a good start.

You don’t need a big, flashy ‘do’ with the world and his wife in attendance to make it all official.

Granny23 Fri 28-Jan-22 10:54:36

Varian I also married in 1966. Instead of Hen/stag parties, we had the traditional Scottish "Show of Presents. Every one who had given a wedding present was invited. Hired the village hall, laid out the presents, bridesmaids and myself and Mum showed the guests around. Meanwhile my Dad took the menfolk to the nearby club and bought them a drink.

Next the presents were packed away and replaced by an extensive buffet (all home made and brought by Auntie, MIL etc. Then DH's Band set up, the men returned and we had music and dancing. Apart from the hall hire and a few drinks no expense was incurred by anyone and a great time was had by all.

Peartree Fri 28-Jan-22 11:01:58

Not only the Hen do's but the weddings abroad or on a cruise liner. Its ridiculous the money your expected to cough up. Whats wrong with a night out. Cheap and cheerful I say.

Redhead56 Fri 28-Jan-22 11:31:44

My daughter was pressured into a hen weekend few years ago. She only knew the bride to be know one else. Even though she does not drink and is rather quiet unlike her mother! She agreed to go and was constantly harassed for not drinking. The women were loud drunk and fighting like cats she said never again.

Gin Fri 28-Jan-22 11:33:34

I just wonder where they all get the money to pay for such extravagance. What is the point? It is, as my mother would have said, showing off and not in the best of taste. Sure enjoy yourselves but putting pressure on yourselves and guests just because that is what is thought to be necessary. It mystifies me but then I am ancient.
Weddings are also so over the top. My grandson’s wedding was abroad and in the middle of winter in a cold climate. I have health problems and travel insurance so expensive the cost became ridiculous, I did not go and my DIL still chastises me. My money, my mind, my decision