Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hen parties

(160 Posts)
Beswitched Thu 27-Jan-22 15:50:54

My niece has been invited to a hen party in April that is going to cost about €400.
It's a weekend away in a seaside spa hotel and includes 2 nights accommodation sharing rooms, a couple of spa treatments, a dinner on the first night, and a 'party bus' to take them to a nightclub in a nearby town. The €500 includes pitching in for the bride's meal and accommodation costs.
They will also have to pay for drinks, train fares, entry into the nightclub, lunches and pizza and wine on the 2nd night.
She is getting married herself later this year and really can't afford this, but is being pressurised by the bridesmaids, told her friend will be so disappointed if she doesn't come etc

AIBU to think this is ridiculous and hen parties are getting way out of control. My niece reckons she'll be down about 600 euro when everything is taken into account.

I saw a similar thread on Mumsnet today. Attending a wedding is expensive enough nowadays without these costly weekends away being added to the mix.

Iam64 Sat 29-Jan-22 13:20:00

Marydoll -I was away with friends, we all LFT before meeting. There was a hot tub, none of us used it. One of our group is a GP- advised us to avoid it

Marydoll Sat 29-Jan-22 13:23:22

Iam64

Marydoll -I was away with friends, we all LFT before meeting. There was a hot tub, none of us used it. One of our group is a GP- advised us to avoid it

Iam, I don't really fancy it anyway. A breeding ground for germs, methinks!

Marydoll Sat 29-Jan-22 13:25:12

Espee, of course I am joking!!! I have got this far, being sensible and cautious and don't intend to put myself at risk now.

Esspee Sat 29-Jan-22 13:43:21

Marydoll

*Espee*, of course I am joking!!! I have got this far, being sensible and cautious and don't intend to put myself at risk now.

Do have a lovely time.

Lizbethann55 Sat 29-Jan-22 13:59:40

Esspee. My daughter , in the course of doing a job , heard a mum call out " Chlamydia" when she summonsed her child!!! I presume she didn't know. my DD said she didn't look very bright!

LancyDaniel Mon 15-Aug-22 13:06:45

Agree. It used to be that bachelorette parties were a lot cheaper. I spent my bachelorette party with my husband, cousins, and closest friends at my house. We had a great time, didn't drink alcohol or do anything we'd regret. My daughter is getting married soon, and her best friend advised me on how to prepare a surprise party for her. I know her friends can afford an expensive party, but we decided not to spend a huge amount on it. So we decided that the girls would go glamping (which is cheaper than I thought) or have a beautiful aristocratic wine tasting party at home. We got our ideas here at bachelorettepartyhelp.com, and I'm so glad I found them.

Norah Mon 15-Aug-22 13:56:16

Another way to spend, may could be as irrational as the newest most expensive I-phone, vacations abroad, or weekly nails. Niece has a choice, €500 hen party or not. I'd choose not, but to each her own way of indulgences.

Fleurpepper Mon 15-Aug-22 17:22:51

Totally- as long as they don't complain about being hard up, don't have money for deposit, etc.

For me, stag dos, hen parties (abroad and that go on for days) and stupidly expensive weddings - totally lost the plot. Again, fair enough if they can afford to, and if they don't constantly complain about how we had it easy, and how it is all so hard for them now!

AreWeThereYet Mon 15-Aug-22 18:27:25

There were certainly hen nights in 1978 because I had one, even in deepest darkest Wales, not known for being the trendiest of places in those days. A not too loud night in a local pub (watched closely by our families and neighbours who frequented the same pubs and who wouldn't have put up with any drunken racket grin ) The wedding never actually happened but we had a good hen night.