Gransnet forums

AIBU

Christmas present from Son

(71 Posts)
CraftyGranny Wed 21-Dec-22 20:34:03

I am at a loss for words to be honest.

I have just received a carrier bag from my niece with two bottle gift bags that my son left with her last week when he was passing (he lives down south). There are no names on the presents so I text him to ask who they were for. Apparently the presents are for me and my sister. The same present for each of us but "I can choose which one I prefer".
Now, I would never judge a present by the value by any means but I feel rather hurt that he ranks me on par with his Auntie. This has happened now for the last three or four years,
There has never been any problems with my son and me, we get on really well, but I am beginning to feel really hurt.

Can I ask how you would feel under the same circumstances.

Grannygrumps1 Sat 24-Dec-22 13:47:59

Lol….🤣🤣🤣 my son hasn’t bought me a birthday or Christmas gift in years. Be grateful for what you’ve got.

hollysteers Sat 24-Dec-22 14:27:41

Well yes, that’s unimaginative, but I think I should have been born a man. My mind goes blank re presents and I do think many women make far too much fuss over Christmas.
I like to be told what people would like. You can have a nice time without going over the top and spending too much.

I remember one Christmas going into a local chemist on Xmas Eve (when chemists often had a great variety of lovely things)
and buying all my presents in one go.
Yep, a really male thing to do.

Greciangirl Sat 24-Dec-22 15:01:36

I am on fairly good terms with my son, but I never receive a birthday gift or Christmas present from him.
He has always been like that.

My daughter on the other hand finds it disrespectful and thinks he should be more caring.
Daughter wants him to phone at least on Christmas Day.

We will see.

NemosMum Sat 24-Dec-22 16:29:22

He's a bloke! How many men buy thoughtful individual gifts every Christmas (rhetorical!) It's what you make of it that counts, CG. This is what the Stoic Epictetus said thousands of years ago. "Another person will not hurt you without your cooperation. You are hurt the moment you believe yourself to be." I think that's still true.

pascal30 Sat 24-Dec-22 16:46:56

I think it's lovely that knows you're close to your sister and that he loves you both..

Minerva Sat 24-Dec-22 16:47:39

I wouldn’t have been the tiniest bit bothered. It’s just really nice that your sister gets a good present too and you get first dibs after all. I remember my son aged about 10 wasting time on Christmas Day adding up what had been spent on him versus his sister. He grew out of it and is the most generous person as an adult. I am just glad to be remembered and loved.

welbeck Sat 24-Dec-22 17:04:23

it just seems a waste of time and money to me.
and wrapping paper. the whole thing.
people do it because they feel they have to, not to give offence, or be thought mean.
really gift-giving is proper for children only.
that is as recipients. and not too many.
why should adults expect presents.

Keffie12 Sat 24-Dec-22 17:17:17

I have 3 adult sons and 1 daughter. The sons aren't good with presents and the like.

Mine only started improving when they got married/into relationships when the women deal with the presents

It's a male thing: in general they just don't do these things well

welbeck Sat 24-Dec-22 17:41:05

the modern western xmas as a capitalist manipulation; discuss.
v effective it's been, in urging useless consumption.

Alioop Sat 24-Dec-22 18:55:01

I've two sisters that never went near my parents for years, they never knew why and it hurt them badly until they died. At least your son went and bought you both a present, the thought was there. Have a lovely Christmas and go and pour yourself a glass of that wine 🎅🍷

Nantotwo Sat 24-Dec-22 19:04:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nantotwo Sat 24-Dec-22 19:07:37

Year, not teat although she is breastfeeding grin

MerylStreep Sat 24-Dec-22 19:14:04

its a male thing: in general they just don’t do these things well
The men you know might not be but most of those I know are nothing like you assume.

sunglow12 Sat 24-Dec-22 22:35:04

I have my lovely eldest son cash for a pair of shoes he wanted and found half price and bought ? Best way with shoes that they try on ) and then he gave it back to me for a half price jumper I wanted and ordered on his behalf - we were both very happy with that and much better than giving a gift we don’t want .

Lilyflower Sat 24-Dec-22 22:37:53

Men don’t care about cards, presents or occasions so don’t take it personally. They think these things don’t matter or are the preserve of their womenfolk which is why they end up living in the gutter if they have a couple of mishaps in their life. As I say, don’t take it to heart, instead, buy yourself a stonking present as compensation for living in a world dominated by idiots.

welbeck Sat 24-Dec-22 22:57:50

yes, that's sounds a sensible thing to do.

OnwardandUpward Sat 24-Dec-22 23:05:38

CraftyGranny

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I am not usually like this to be honest. You are all correct, it just isn't worth it. The daft thing is I always say you shouldn't give to receive.
My sister and I will share the gin with each other anyway, we always do.
I love my boys to bits and to be fair, if asked what I would like, I usually say I don't really need anything but if you must, surprise me.
Thanks again.

I think your son knows you'll share it anyway, which is probably why he gave you the same.

Enjoy it. Don't over think it.

I know my Mother will find something wrong with anything I buy her. I know I cannot win. I ended up leaving the label (without the price) so she would know where I shopped-because she would run me down to whoever, saying I'd got it cheap. Or she will say "they think I'm old" if someone bought her something thoughtful like a heat pad. It's sad, but she has never been very good at accepting and enjoying gifts, even as a young person.

I'm sure you're not like that and I hope you have a lovely Christmas and enjoy your gin with your sister. flowers

Secondwind Mon 26-Dec-22 23:25:54

I never get anything from my son! It doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

MayBee70 Tue 27-Dec-22 09:05:11

I’ve always had lovely presents and cards from my son over the years: really thoughtful things. But now he’s married and has children I don’t even get a card. I understand that his family come first, and that is how it should be but to not get a card hurts.

BoadiceaJones Thu 29-Dec-22 21:28:56

I don't think I've ever had a Christmas present from any of my children. When I turned 70 a few years ago, I had a lovely hamper from my DD who lives abroad. A text from the DS.