Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour refuses to wish anyone HNY

(109 Posts)
Winniewit Sun 01-Jan-23 18:58:11

Ndn and her DH moved in about 5 years ago.
He was quite ill with respiratory disease which eventually took his life.
We have been good neighbours to them both and I told him that we would be there for his wife..which we are.
3 years have passed since then .
When NY comes around when neighbours or friends and family wish HNYher she just ignores them. At first I thought she hadn't heard me to I repeated it. And once again ... silence
Eventually she admitted that she won't say it because for her there will be no more happy years since she lost her DH.
To me and others..it'd like she hope that because she is alone and ...why should anyone else be happy.
Another she does is sign her Christmas cards and birthday cards from herself and her DH

I think she hasn't come to terms with it all yet.
Grief has no time

MawtheMerrier Sun 01-Jan-23 19:25:37

What do you mean “Come to terms with it” I wonder. “Get over it “ perhaps?”
Hint, you don’t.
Grief has as you say no time (limits) or boundaries.
I do wonder, then why you belaboured the point?
I find it hard to believe she wants others to be unhappy too, but when you are grieving, the words can sound very hollow and don’t trip off the tongue easily.
Eventually she admitted that she won't say it because for her there will be no more happy years since she lost her DH
Poor lady, hearing the jollifications , on my own last night, I can guess how she feels

JaneJudge Sun 01-Jan-23 19:29:53

Don’t focus on things like this. She’s grieving
This isn’t about you flowers

Zoejory Sun 01-Jan-23 19:30:42

It's fine. Leave her to do this her way.

BlueBelle Sun 01-Jan-23 19:34:59

Why should she ? And why would you care ?

Forlornhope Sun 01-Jan-23 19:38:43

I noticed out on my morning walk that very few people were wishing anyone a HNY unlike previous years, just opting for the usual ‘morning.

Yammy Sun 01-Jan-23 19:40:38

Just give her time and space. Though I wouldn't be including her in the family get-togethers if she puts a damper on things, ask her at another time she would probably be more comfortable then anyway.

Blossoming Sun 01-Jan-23 19:46:48

Why does it matter?

Baggs Sun 01-Jan-23 19:50:33

I think the loss of the poor lady's husband, if I may use some words of Seamus Heaney, has been a "big buffeting" to her that has (paraphrasing) 'caught the heart and blown it open.'

Dickens Sun 01-Jan-23 19:53:30

It seems like you're asking if she is being unreasonable for not wishing anyone a HNY.

I think YABU in assuming she doesn't want anyone else to be happy.

Allow her to grieve in her own way - and in her own time-frame.

I'd have been inclined to invite her round over the New Year interval - and ask her to share some memories of her late DH, or their time together.

Harris27 Sun 01-Jan-23 19:54:03

My sisters the same doesn’t like Christmas or new year since her family moved abroad.

Urmstongran Sun 01-Jan-23 20:00:22

I think it’s a bit weird to add her late husband’s name to any cards she sends though.

Baggs Sun 01-Jan-23 20:12:20

Nowt wrong with a bit of weird. Other people can cope with that.

Baggs Sun 01-Jan-23 20:13:03

Why should everyone conform to the usual?

Baggs Sun 01-Jan-23 20:13:37

Especially with regard to something so harmless.

Forsythia Sun 01-Jan-23 20:17:38

This poor lady. My sympathies are entirely with her. She must be devastated and finds Christmas and New Year so difficult. Really, why keep saying Happy New Year to her anyway when it’s obvious she’s struggling poor woman. A bit of sympathy wouldn’t go amiss.

NotAGran55 Sun 01-Jan-23 20:28:59

Why do you all keep bullying this poor neighbour? She’s told you how she feels but you still persist in making her uncomfortable.
Show her some compassion for heaven’s sake please this coming year and respect her wishes.

1summer Sun 01-Jan-23 20:44:03

Oh my goodness this is so sad but I know exactly how she feels. My DH died 5 months ago I am devastated and struggling with my grief. Christmas was so hard to keep a smile on my face and to be cheerful when playing with my granddaughter, but I did as not too spoil Christmas for others. But I have hated it when people have wished me Happy New Year, how can I be happy anytime soon. As Maws said the words sound very hollow and I struggled to respond but I definitely don’t wish other people unhappiness. I have been hoping people would understand.

Oldbat1 Sun 01-Jan-23 20:50:26

Does it matter? Poor woman please just let her be. Some local folk I said HNY to whilst out walking the dog but others I didnt does this make me odd?

User7777 Sun 01-Jan-23 21:06:45

Why do we have to be everyone's social norm. I have always hated xmas, but prefer new year. I suppose that makes me odd. I have my reasons, only known to me. We have a n,bour who insists on covering her place with all Xmas lights known to man. None of us do, but its personal choice. Most of us wish, she would go away and leave us alone at Xmas. No such luck.

Ziplok Sun 01-Jan-23 21:12:58

A one size fits all doesn’t work with grief, Winniewit. It certainly can’t suddenly go away as you seem to think it should.

MercuryQueen Sun 01-Jan-23 22:07:37

What an odd thing to be concerned with. Respect your neighbour feeling as she does. It’s not about you.

Fleurpepper Sun 01-Jan-23 22:25:09

NotAGran55

Why do you all keep bullying this poor neighbour? She’s told you how she feels but you still persist in making her uncomfortable.
Show her some compassion for heaven’s sake please this coming year and respect her wishes.

This, could not say it better. Her choice, leave her to it for goodness sake.

Madgran77 Sun 01-Jan-23 22:40:17

I have no idea why this is even perceived as something to think about. She is who she is. She is clearly grieving. She is finding her own way to cope with that. Why on earth would it matter if she doesn't say Happy New Year. Why has that decision on her part got anything to do with not wanting other people to be unhappy.

I am sure she appreciates whatever you do for her as a good neighbour. But leave her to make her own decisions without gossiping about it!

Wyllow3 Sun 01-Jan-23 23:35:00

I don't wish people HNY unless its just a casual thing/strangers. I say stuff like, "I hope next year goes as well as possible" "May 2023 be a better year, and so on. Depends on the others circumstances.