Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unbelievable Childhood Memories you believed were true ๐Ÿ˜†

(106 Posts)
Poppyjo Wed 22-Feb-23 21:57:31

As a young child I was eating an apple, which included the pips.

Mum looked at me and told me not to eat the pips as an apple tree would grow outside the top of my head!

I was fascinated and every morning
I would look in the mirror to see if I could see any shoots or leaves coming through my head. I truly believed I saw two leaves! ๐Ÿ˜‚

I look back now and think how could I have ever believed it?

My mum did own up in the end. In case you wondered I never did grow that tree ๐ŸŒฒ

What tall stories did you hear and believe as a child?

suninthewest Sat 04-Mar-23 07:56:42

I notice there is more than one on here about chewing gum. My dad told me it was made from horses hooves

Aldom Sat 04-Mar-23 08:01:26

biglouis flowers what a dreadful thing for parents to do to you. So sorry.

Daddima Sat 04-Mar-23 08:41:08

biglouis

When my sister was born I (age 7) was very jealous and made it quite clear that I did not want a sister. My parents told me that "naughty! children like me could be sent to a home because their parents did not want them any more. One day my mother posted a card in the postbox and told me she was sending for the "man with the van" to take me away that week. On the saturday they played out the pretence that I was going to be collected and taken off to a home that day. I was utterly convinced and spent the day sobbing and in terror.

It was only later when I found one of the cards with the very distinctive logo that I realised it was for the football pools. If this kind of emotional abuse happened to a child today social workers would (rightly) become involved. I just had to tough it out and get on with the fact that I was the "black sheep" of the family and responsible for ALL the domestic ills which beset us.

Later on my parents throught I was cold and heartless because I was semi estranged from them much of the time.

That is a special kind of sadism.

Ali08 Tue 14-Mar-23 04:12:39

I had lots of aunts and uncles and cousins while I was growing up.
In reality, I had one uncle on my dad's side, and 4 aunties on my mums side, the rest were all friends of either or both of my parents!!
I'm in my 50s and still call one my aunty, which amuses her no end!

NannyB2604 Sun 26-Mar-23 09:33:25

When I was a kid, in the 1960s, someone told me that if you saved every letter of the alphabet on Smartie lids you could send away for a puppy! I believed them and was so disappointed when I discovered it wasn't true