Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

I've just finished this dress...

(74 Posts)
Indinana Wed 08-Jun-16 12:13:49

... for my granddaughter's first birthday. So pleased with how it turned out, as I adapted the bodice from one pattern, and sort of made up the skirt as I didn't have a pattern for it. Just got to make a little pair of matching knickers now. Can't wait to see her wearing it smile

Nelliemoser Wed 08-Jun-16 16:50:11

Indinana That is so pretty. Forgive me for saying this but it is such lovely little girl "icecream colours".

shysal Wed 08-Jun-16 17:13:24

Beautiful, Indinana!. The colours are so well matched. I used to make all of my DDs' clothes, and they always included matching knickers. My mother did the same for my school uniform dress, I was badly teased over it! They even had a pocket for a handkerchief!

Synonymous Wed 08-Jun-16 17:54:03

That is gorgeous Indinana you clever lady!

Juliette Wed 08-Jun-16 18:30:31

Oh, Nelliemoser I looked at it and thought Neopolitan ice cream.
It's a beautiful dress, looking forward to your photos Indiana

Indinana Wed 08-Jun-16 19:20:13

Nelliemoser and Juliette - so funny you should both say it reminded you of ice-cream. My DD took one look at it and thought of a Rocket Ice Lolly!

GandTea, no I don't think it's odd at all - last year's Sewing Bee had several men who were superb sewers (oh I do hate that the word looks like an underground waste pipe [yuk emoticon] ), and the winner was one of the men. This year started with 3 men on the team, though they've all gone now.

shysal that really made me chuckle, the thought of you wearing knickers to match your school uniform dress grin

Thanks everyone for all your lovely compliments blushblushblush

Lisalou Thu 09-Jun-16 08:19:13

A lovely little dress, well done you! I love sewing and have made a few dresses for my youngest (eldest is jealous, but patterns for young 'uns are so much easier) My real problem is finding the time to sew, and getting all the "can you fix my jeans/make some curtains - won't take you a minute" things out of the way! I really should learn to say NO. grin

TriciaF Thu 09-Jun-16 08:24:59

Very pretty Indinana - your granddaughter will love it. I like the way you've got the big flower at the centre of the bodice.Sadly, my days of sewing for children and grandchildren are over - they've grown up and want to go clothes shopping.
GandTea - my husband likes to use the machine, sometimes repairs his own clothes (he's forever tearing them.)

baubles Thu 09-Jun-16 08:38:01

What a pretty dress Indi. You'll get such pleasure from seeing her wear it. smile

Indinana Thu 09-Jun-16 09:59:44

Oh yes, I can relate to that Lisalou - my DH has short legs, so every pair of trousers and jeans have to be taken up, and I'm the go-to person in the family for all repairs, missing buttons, curtains and so on. I hate making curtains and it took me ages to get round to making them for my GD's bedroom. So pleased to get that job out the way a couple of months ago. Now, though, it's clear they need blackout linings <groan>

NonnaW Thu 09-Jun-16 10:21:16

Beautiful dress. I'd probably have kept up the sewing if I'd had daughters but didn't have much incentive with sons - I'd have loved to make pretty dresses. Sewing machine long gone now though.

Indinana Thu 09-Jun-16 13:15:36

Yes I understand that NonnaW. I had a boy and a girl, and made all my DD's clothes (and some of my DS's when he was very young). Then as time went on, our first 2 GC were boys, so no opportunity there to sew. Then along came our little GD, whose mum (our DD) loves dressing her in the things I make. Hurrah!!

POGS Thu 09-Jun-16 16:12:35

Clever clogs Indiana.

I am hopeless at sewing and that pretty little dress makes me truly wish I had the patience to learn. A little corker of a thing, very pretty.

Stansgran Thu 09-Jun-16 17:59:38

Really pretty.

Lisalou Thu 09-Jun-16 21:27:59

Oh Indi, I feel your pain. I have done my mother's curtains (so boring, you would not believe) and now i have the cushions to do for the headboard and the pleated ruff around the base of her bed. Someone remind me why i offered in the first place. don't get me wrong, i love my mother dearly, but i want to do something with a bit of fun in it! Not content with that, my eldest, short in the legs, informs me that she has just bought some VERY long trousers. GROAN

jogginggirl Thu 09-Jun-16 22:37:19

So gorgeous Indinana - she will look a real poppet in that smile

I used to make all of my dd's clothes but, sadly, not my gd's sad You have made me want to dig out my sewing machine. Thank you smile X

Lilypops Fri 10-Jun-16 08:38:38

Indinana, this dress is just beautiful,,I love the colours you have used,, I still make my DGD,s dresses though with one being nearly nine I don't think it will be for much longer, she loves to shop with her mummy for "cool clothes"

rubylady Sat 11-Jun-16 01:20:01

What a lucky little GD you have to have a lovely gran like you, making her beautiful dresses like this one. The colours are the same as my living room! Great taste.

I'm thinking of making my shorter kaftans, which I currently buy but look quite easy (famous last words) to run up and then I can choose the material myself. I do love them, vibrant and cool. smile

jevive73 Sat 11-Jun-16 11:14:52

I love the dress. You have a really good eye for colour and pattern. Clever lady!

Indinana Mon 13-Jun-16 22:03:09

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments. I'm so pleased the little dress has met with such approval from the grans! smile

Jalima Mon 13-Jun-16 23:37:30

It's lovely, Indinana and you obviously took great care with the planning and cutting out - the flower is central on the bodice, very good. (I sound like a Sewing Bee judge.)

I used to sew for the DC but haven't sewn anything for the DGC (yet)

Bubbe Thu 16-Jun-16 23:45:35

Indinana, I just love this absolutely beautiful little dress. You have completely inspired me and I now intend making one for my own DGD. My mother used to make handmade quilts before it became too difficult for her to manage, but she still has a stash of excellent quality cotton fabrics. So I intend putting some of them to very good use. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Indinana Fri 17-Jun-16 08:23:36

i look forward to seeing the finished dress Bubbe. So pleased I've inspired you to get sewing again!

Nonnie1 Fri 17-Jun-16 10:50:33

Indinana

It's lovely. You are so clever. More please !

Nana3 Sat 18-Jun-16 06:31:57

It's a beautiful dress, 1st birthday is such a special occasion , very well done Indinana

Thingmajig Sat 18-Jun-16 10:39:16

Beautiful dress!Well done you. flowers

I wish I could be bothered sewing stuff again. I used to make loads for DD when she was small, and not so small.

DGD is so slightly built we have trouble finding clothes to fit ... now that potty training is in progress (no nappy to hold things up) it's worse.!Even her tiny pants are baggy.

I must, must, must make her some wee shorts and trousers that don't fall down.