Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

I've just finished this dress...

(74 Posts)
Indinana Wed 08-Jun-16 12:13:49

... for my granddaughter's first birthday. So pleased with how it turned out, as I adapted the bodice from one pattern, and sort of made up the skirt as I didn't have a pattern for it. Just got to make a little pair of matching knickers now. Can't wait to see her wearing it smile

Indinana Sat 18-Jun-16 11:40:23

Sadly, I won't be making any more clothes for her for a while, as she has so many clothes now that they simply won't be getting enough use. So I'm under strict instructions to wait a while sad

Oh well, time to get on with some patchwork and other crafts I guess.

Ducks1 Sat 18-Jun-16 15:14:27

oh wow! It's lovely indinana well done. I love everything creative. I'm watching TGBSB at the moment and wishing I could sew. I bought a pattern to try making a top but couldn't make heads or tales of it. Back to knitting...

Indinana Sat 18-Jun-16 20:19:13

As promised, here are some pictures of the (nearly) birthday girl wearing the dress. I've downloaded this photomontage from the photographer's Facebook page, so the smaller images may not be that clear, but you get the picture (pun intended wink)

grannyactivist Sat 18-Jun-16 20:26:08

Aw - what lovely photo's - the dress is a treat too. smile

annsixty Sat 18-Jun-16 20:29:10

What a joy she must be to you all.
Hope you all enjoy the birthday when it comes.

Jalima Sat 18-Jun-16 20:35:19

Lovely photographs of a lovely baby wearing a lovely dress!!

What more can I say, except that the photographer must be skilled too!!

Bellanonna Sat 18-Jun-16 20:36:01

Ah, Indi what cute pictures . She looks a happy little soul and the dress, as we knew, is gorgeous. Look forward to more in future. Wishing you all a happy birthday for her.

Indinana Sat 18-Jun-16 20:39:45

Thanks ga, ann, jalima and Bella. Birthday is Wednesday, been out today and bought her present and lots of party stuff, plates, cups, napkins, banners etc. Getting into the spirit of it now. Bit nervous about decorating her cake - going to have a go at modelling fondant icing, never done it before, eeek shock. It'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine.....

Jalima Sat 18-Jun-16 20:47:15

She'll love it whatever it looks like!!

Happy birthday one year old!

Indinana Sat 18-Jun-16 20:49:32

smile Jalima

whitewave Sat 18-Jun-16 20:52:37

Dear little soul. Aren't grandchildren the best?

Indinana Sat 18-Jun-16 20:55:41

Oh yes whitewave they certainly are. They bring joy to our lives just when things start to get a little mundane, and lift us up again smile

annsixty Sat 18-Jun-16 21:09:03

I will try and download the photograph I have of my D's first B'day which be 51 years ago next month we had a very basic homemade Victoria sponge with one candle on the top and I must confess I can't remember much of a do except for family coming for tea. It is so different now. Hope you all have a lovely day.

Indinana Sat 18-Jun-16 21:17:59

Oh I'd love to see that ann. I don't even have any photos of my two DC's first birthdays. How bad is that? We didn't have a camera, couldn't afford one. We don't even have a photo of our first born under the age of 6 weeks sad. It is so different today, where most people have at least a smart phone, if not a camera. Photography today is so cheap, and everyone has hundreds and hundreds of electronic photos of their children, recording every moment of their lives.

MiniMouse Sat 18-Jun-16 21:26:57

She looks absolutely adorable! Your dress is perfect for her. Happy Birthday party sunshine

Indinana Tue 21-Jun-16 18:33:18

Yay! The cake did turn out fine!! Phew smile

annsixty Tue 21-Jun-16 18:38:35

You are very clever and whilst I didn't find the photograph I was looking for I would be far too embarrassed now to post it if I could. blush

Indinana Tue 21-Jun-16 18:43:31

ann, please look for it and post it. I wouldn't have been able to do something like this all those years ago - we didn't have packs of fondant icing all ready for moulding, nor did we have moulds for making bunting and the border round the bottom. There is simply so much available these days, it's just irresistible! Plus my DD is so fed up with seeing photos of fancy birthday cakes from professional bakers posted on Facebook, so when I offered to make it for her, she was thrilled. She can't wait to cock a snook at all the poor saps who spend anything from £50 upwards for birthday cakes for tiny tots. This proves you don't have to!

rubysong Wed 22-Jun-16 04:35:19

Well done Indinana, with cake and dress. I hope you have a really lovely day with your birthday girl.

miguelriley Thu 16-Mar-17 04:58:03

It looks so pretty. Nicely done with the patter and good color selection. Looks so warm and simple.

grannypiper Thu 16-Mar-17 07:30:54

Indinana Wow how clever are you ? the dress is gorgeous. My DM was a seamstress but i can just about manage to sew a button on. I have 2 really good sewing machines gathering dust but i promise myself everyday that i am going to learn to use them. I even bought material months ago but it is still in the bag.

Maggiemaybe Fri 17-Mar-17 00:04:37

Lovely, Indinana. I used to make little matching dresses etc for my two DD. Somehow I don't think my three - soon to be four - sturdy grandsons would appreciate my smocking and embroidery skills sadgrin

Maggiemaybe Fri 17-Mar-17 00:11:34

Though I have been charged with making a Milkshake Monkey cake for DGS3 next week. This is going to test my fondant modelling skills. Though not as much as the one DGS2 has requested for his big day in July - Tracey Island grin. I blame myself for giving him that old Thunderbird 2 I found in a box in the cellar.