Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

It's finished......better late than never!!

(61 Posts)
Katek Tue 28-Mar-17 09:38:44

Dgs name now added,all washed, pressed and off to framer. It doesn't really matter that I'm a little late with his birth sampler and he's now 2, does it? There just doesn't seem to have been a lot of spare time.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Mar-17 20:51:02

In 1999, I bought an old fashioned gout stool that needed reupholstering. I began a very intricate petit point cover for it. In 2011, the gout stool finally fell apart (without its new cover). In 2013, I bought an old monk's seat that, once again, required a new padded cushion. At Christmas 2016, I finally finished the petit point and the monk's seat looks lovely! Not the quickest of workers but I got there in the end! blush

grannypiper Wed 29-Mar-17 08:20:57

Well done Katek you should be proud of such beautiful work and 2 years late for that amount of work is nothing. I started to cross stitch a very small card for my daughters 7th birthday she is now 30 so i thought i would get it done for my DGD's 7th birthday but she is now 9 and its still in a drawer even after 9 house moves. I promise i will finish it if i ever have a DGGD.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Mar-17 09:13:01

It's lovely, Katek, and not very late in the scheme of things smile. I finished off a cross stitch picture last year that I started in 1974. It's very dark and very brown in the 70s mode and I don't even like it now!

Maggieanne Wed 29-Mar-17 09:58:35

Absolutely love that.

tanith Wed 29-Mar-17 10:01:34

Thats lovely Katek you are clever I've got one in the cupboard thats been in the process for 20+ years grin

radicalnan Wed 29-Mar-17 10:15:55

lovely, well done.

radicalnan Wed 29-Mar-17 10:19:44

It's about time the tooth fairy had a punch in the face!!

Mother Nature, can get little fish miles down unde the ocean to light up where nobody sees them and gives us teeth not fit for purpose.

It is so unfair and the costs add an element of terror that is quite unseemly outside of the Mafia.

I feel your pain. xx

Nain9bach Wed 29-Mar-17 10:27:20

Stitched with love. Fantastic. It will be cherished (perhaps not immediately).

Grannybadger Wed 29-Mar-17 10:28:37

I've got that one to complete for my dgd who will be 2 in June. I think I need to get on with it!

Jalima Wed 29-Mar-17 10:34:48

radicalnan I think you've got your teeth into the wrong thread grin
(Unless I've missed something)

HellsBells Wed 29-Mar-17 10:41:44

My DD used to do patchwork when she was about 8/9 - a piece about 2feet by 2 feet sat in the cupboard and moved around when she moved - last year I upholstered a stool that was my mothers with the patchwork - she is 36 now and she loves it

Genevieve489 Wed 29-Mar-17 10:53:27

That is very pretty and I'm sure it will be treasured. I began a cross-stitch birth sampler for my granddaughter, who is now 6. In the meantime, a grandson was born, so he will need to be added to it. He is nearly 4 now. It's still only half done! I began to embroider a tablecloth in the excitement of becoming engaged in 1969. Twenty years later, my husband finished it for me! However, I have knitted socks and hats and completed crocheted blankets, so it proves I can finish some things!

pollyperkins Wed 29-Mar-17 11:36:31

That's brilliant - I could never make anything like that! Wish I could!

Nelliemaggs Wed 29-Mar-17 11:46:34

How beautiful!

Christinefrance Wed 29-Mar-17 11:50:56

That Is beautiful Katek, I am so envious of artistic people, I don't have an arty bone in my body.
I finished a matinee jacket for my daughter when she was 18, its the thought that counts! ! smile

grandMattie Wed 29-Mar-17 12:21:57

It is delightful. Well done! flowers
I also cross-stitch, but design my own samplers for new babies, which are usually appreciated. I put the name of the child and the date then add "Tuesday's child is full of grace" or whatever is appropriate. Consequently, the sampler is always appropriate at whatever age. So often the DPs forget the day of the week by the time the child is old...

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 29-Mar-17 13:00:44

It's very pretty, well done you. It's a rare birth sampler, quilt, etc that's ready on time.

Skweek1 Wed 29-Mar-17 13:06:25

It's gorgeous and I'm sure he'll love it all the more now he's old enough to appreciate it. Well done!

sweetcakes Wed 29-Mar-17 13:10:45

What a lovely keep sake something to pass down to the next generation smile

deaneke Wed 29-Mar-17 14:55:19

It really is lovely. Well done.

Lupatria Wed 29-Mar-17 16:02:16

when i was doing some sorting out a few years ago [had to empty my loft so it could be insulated] i found my old knitting bag and some dolls' clothes that i had knitted for my daughter but had not sewn together.
my daughter is now 46 and has daughters of her own!!
unfortunately my grandaughters are now 14 and 11 and have outgrown dolls.
so maybe i'll put the clothes away and finish them for my great-grandaughters when they put in an appearance!

Solitaire Wed 29-Mar-17 16:46:40

Its lovely Katek and I'm sure will be appreciated. Did you add name and DOB too? Here are photos of a sampler and Noddy made for me by my dear mum and appreciated more now than when I was younger.

joannewton46 Wed 29-Mar-17 17:20:43

Exactly right for a 2 yr old to love it!

Tessa101 Wed 29-Mar-17 17:47:28

That's lovely Katek,love all the colours. My DD does cross stitch and is teaching my GD to do it,they both love it. Always a joy to see them finished.

1974cookie Wed 29-Mar-17 18:16:12

Absolutely beautiful piece of cross stitching Katek.
It has made me think now that I must return to finish mine.