Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

It's finished......better late than never!!

(60 Posts)
Katek Tue 28-Mar-17 09:38:44

Dgs name now added,all washed, pressed and off to framer. It doesn't really matter that I'm a little late with his birth sampler and he's now 2, does it? There just doesn't seem to have been a lot of spare time.

FarNorth Tue 28-Mar-17 09:45:48

It's lovely and I'm sure DGS won't mind that it's a little late.

Anniebach Tue 28-Mar-17 09:47:36

It's lovely and a better gift now he is two, he can look at it ,couldn't do this when new born

thatbags Tue 28-Mar-17 10:10:27

He'll probably appreciate it more now smile

thatbags Tue 28-Mar-17 10:11:52

Anyway, two years is nothing. I started a quilt for DD2 when she was eight; she got it for her eighteenth birthday! She didn't mind the wait.

Elegran Tue 28-Mar-17 10:41:16

Only ten years, Bags? You are a speed quilter! I have things that have been on the go for twenty.

Jalima Tue 28-Mar-17 10:55:21

That's lovely Katek

I am not confessing anything grin

Greyduster Tue 28-Mar-17 11:01:42

That's super, Katek! I do so admire anyone that can sew or embroider. I'm hopeless. I hope it becomes a family heirloom!

cornergran Tue 28-Mar-17 11:05:03

That's a wonderful sampler, katek, you are very skilled. Your grandson will love it now and for many years to come.

chelseababy Tue 28-Mar-17 11:13:30

It's lovely and a labour of love!

Antonia Tue 28-Mar-17 11:37:59

That is beautiful Katek, so many hours of work goes into cross stitch. It will be treasured.

JackyB Tue 28-Mar-17 11:41:17

I agree - it is a more suitable gift for a 2-year-old than for a baby.

Did you design it yourself?

I started crocheting a first size sleeping bag for my DS who was 35 in January and still haven't finished it. It's tiny (was a French pattern - I think they have smaller babies!) and is certainly already far too small for both DGC. I'll finish it one day - maybe they can use it for their dolls!

Indinana Tue 28-Mar-17 11:56:03

Oh that is fab Katek. Doesn't matter at all that it's late because now not only will mum and dad appreciate it, but so will your little grandson!

travelsafar Tue 28-Mar-17 12:10:43

It is beautiful lets hope all your hard work is appreciated. I remember my mum making me a double crochet bed spread in many different colours. At the time she gave it to me i thought it was lovely but didnt use it as it didnt match the decor of my bedroom. When she passed away only then did it go on my bed, i truely knew it had been a labour of love from her and everytime i go to bed its like i am getting a cuddle from my mum. I feel so guilty that i didnt use when she was alive and will carry that to the grave and think of how i might have hurt her feelings by not doing so. My eyes are full of tears and my heart feels heavy even writing this.

Katek Tue 28-Mar-17 12:10:54

Thank you all for your kind remarks, very much appreciated. I've cross stitched for many years, sometimes designing my own and also using kits. Crochet is my other hobby, I haven't made many baby jackets or shawls recently as 4 out of 5 dgc are boys and crochet can be a bit too feminine. I do crochet a carrier bag of prem and micro preemie baby hats for the local NICU every 3/4 months which keeps my hand in.

shysal Tue 28-Mar-17 12:33:01

Beautiful!

Faye Tue 28-Mar-17 13:05:36

It's lovely, I like gifts made especially for someone. I think your GS will appreciate that you made it just for him.

I have an oil painting sitting on an easel on my kitchen table. I took forever to start it, got interrupted after Christmas with GDs visiting. I took it away with me in January and only painted for about an hour. It's of two of my GS's sitting at the river, my DIL is excited I am painting it and they are coming to visit on Wednesday from 1800ks away . I think she will be expecting it to be finished for her. I feel so bad. ? I have no will to get it done. ?

Faye Tue 28-Mar-17 13:26:31

*willpower ?

nanaK54 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:16:19

It's beautiful wish I was as talented ?

M0nica Tue 28-Mar-17 16:44:23

I started a chair cover over ten years ago - I am half way through it. It is bargello tapestry and it is a high back chair so there are three pieces, back, seat and foot rest, but still!

Stansgran Tue 28-Mar-17 20:15:18

It takes a long time to finish quilts you're not working on. One of my favorite quotes. I'm just doing one with material I bought in the States over thirteen years ago.

Stansgran Tue 28-Mar-17 20:16:10

Sorry meant to say great cross stitch Katek.

Tallulah57 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:17:52

Absolutely gorgeous, well done.

Marydoll Tue 28-Mar-17 20:23:24

What a beautiful gift.

SueDonim Tue 28-Mar-17 20:48:08

That's lovely! It will look so sweet on your GS's bedroom wall. I only gave a cross stitch birth sampler to my GD last year, when she was over three years old, so I think you've done well!

As for WIP (works in progress) I have a needlepoint dating back to the 1980's. blush