Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Going mad with this knitting...

(30 Posts)
Witzend Fri 30-Jun-17 10:48:02

Making a hooded jumper for baby grandson. All fine until the last bit - band that runs up the front opening, all round the edge of the hood, and down the other side. 'Pick up and knit 3 sts from every 4 rows...' and on a circular needle, which I've not used before.
Have gone wrong twice already. So xxxxxxx hard to see 3 of every 4 for a start.
Am taking it on holiday, where there will be better light, and hoping to crack the wretched band while Dh is off for half a day at a time cycling round Burgundy.

I will never again embark on any pattern where you have to 'pick up and knit'.

libra10 Sat 01-Jul-17 14:46:13

I used to do lots of knitting, and enjoyed doing crochet as well, there are some great tips already given.

Just wondering whether it might be an idea to pick up a stitch from each row of the hood, and (working in stocking stich) make the band slightly wider than pattern states. Fold over, and thread elastic through to tighten the hood snugly round the child's face. Not sure whether that would work.

When knitting a cardigan or jacket, rather than picking up stitches to make the button band round the front, I used to add the number of stitches to pattern, and knit the band (using rib stitch) as I was doing the fronts. If you do the side which doesn't have button-holes first, you can calculate where the button holes can be made.

It saved a lot of time and always looked neater, especially if you slip the first stitch, rather than working it. Tightens it up.

Shizam Sat 01-Jul-17 21:16:30

Just wish I could knit something useful. Can only do a straight line. Or a square.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Jul-17 21:19:08

Squares are extremely useful as they can be made into blankets for refugees or for family or pets.

I knit squares when I need to do something without thinking if I watch tv.

Or Scarves?

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Jul-17 21:20:36

Thanks libra I may try that, I did think about it but wondered if it could come out a bit looser than the rest of the garment. Slipping the stitch would work.