Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Painting by numbers

(57 Posts)
Sunlover Fri 20-Apr-18 18:44:03

I loved painting by numbers as a child and recently discovered kits for adults. Bought one from Amazon. Pleased to find I still enjoy it! Hoping the finished painting will be good enough to put on the wall. Anyone else tried it.

biglouis Thu 14-Mar-24 21:29:42

I did a painting by numbers of two horses in a field when I was about 14. I didnt enjoy it because I was following someone elses instructions and gave me no sense of achievement. I never enjoyed following knitting patterns for that reason. I like to make up my own designs for things and allow them to evolve as I go along.

Each to their own.

crazyH Thu 14-Mar-24 21:30:25

Never have I seen so many posts being ‘reported’ or deleted
by GN 😫

flappergirl Thu 14-Mar-24 21:57:59

Blimey, paint by numbers eh. Less controversy on the Palestine thread.

Freya5 Thu 14-Mar-24 22:06:40

Remember years ago painting by numbers, The Laughing Cavalier,lot of work, now lost
during all the moves.
Not sure I'd have the patience now .

biglouis Thu 14-Mar-24 22:56:21

I think painting by numbers teaches patience, neatness and meticulousness but not innovation or true creativity. It can give a starting point for people who would like to paint but dont have sufficient confidence in their own ability to begin.

The posters who said it enabled them to "zone out" have a point. I find this with hand embroidery and patchwork. There is something about the feel of the fabric and the needle and thread that is sooooo relaxing. My grandmother taught me English piecing which is very formulaic in using templates and following a procedure. It uses many of the same skills as PBN. That was why I moved on into freehand and crazy patchwork.

Catterygirl Thu 14-Mar-24 23:05:28

I cannot imagine what people have been saying about a simple painting hobby to be deleted.