Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Strangest knitted/crocheted Items.

(47 Posts)
1974cookie Tue 05-Jun-18 18:38:35

A few weeks ago, I bought my Partner a little knitted Sloth. He loves Sloths and was absolutely over the moon. ( Said Sloth has even been named ).
We recently saw a programme about Pangolins, which are Scaly Anteaters and really cute creatures which we both fell in love with. Out of curiosity I went online to see if there was a knitting pattern for these lovely creatures.
To my complete and utter amazement, I found several knitted Pangolins ! It got me thinking ?
What is the strangest item that you have seen, or perhaps even created either by knitting or crochet ?

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Jun-18 22:33:59

Yarn bombing drives me crackers, it is my bête noire!

All that lovely yarn, all that effort, going into decorating things like telephone boxes, cars etc - when there are little refugee children freezing in cold winters needing clothes, blankets etc.

Definitely wtf!

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Jun-18 22:34:40

It makes me want to scream!

AAAAARGH!!!

MawBroon Wed 06-Jun-18 22:40:47

Today at Chatsworth Flower Show

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Jun-18 22:55:27

grin

I must admit that I did like the floral garden which was at Malvern Show recently

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Jun-18 22:56:05

Perhaps they'll turn that watering can into blankets ...

Lisalou Thu 07-Jun-18 20:17:51

www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjmjoCKosLbAhVC1RQKHfizC_YQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.showandtellmeg.com%2F2013%2F01%2Fchristmas-project-boobie-scarf.html&psig=AOvVaw00xaWMkCtZxGEYE8hHuioI&ust=1528485428981946
For people who have had mastectomies, until they can have corrective surgery

Lisalou Thu 07-Jun-18 20:19:03

Actually depends on the source you read. Also, apparently, used for birthing centres to teach lactation

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Jun-18 20:22:36

Yes, we've been asked to knit some of those at a group I belong to (bad grammar).

sorry, the link wouldn't work for me, but IKWYM.
And sorry, but no, no, no!

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Jun-18 20:23:11

I managed to use the link, thank you.

labazs Mon 16-Jul-18 18:06:08

saw a vintage pattern the other day for a aran all in one suit complete with leggings top and balaclava top dont think ill be making that

AlieOxon Mon 16-Jul-18 18:28:11

This is the oddest I have seen

crochetcoralreef.org/

Sent me from Queensland by my oldest friend = I shall send her the yarn bombing link, she wants some more ideas and will be in hospital needing occupational knitting/crocheting soon....

Welshwife Mon 16-Jul-18 19:28:49

Found in USA - lots of things with crocheted covers in one town!

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 19:58:44

I hope you don't mind me pasting this bit from your link AlieOxon:
The Crochet Reef project resides at the intersection of mathematics, marine biology, handicraft and community art practice, and also responds to the environmental crisis of global warming and the escalating problem of oceanic plastic trash

which all sounds wonderful and we need to raise awareness of the environmental crisis and oceanic plastic - but it never ceases to amaze me how much energy and yarn is expended by people on these projects when children are freezing in the winter in refugee camps.

AlieOxon Tue 17-Jul-18 15:26:47

Refugee children... environmental crisis.... hasn't it struck you that both are happening in an overcrowded world?

Our population is getting too much for our world's resources, that's what the basic problem is!

Elegran Tue 17-Jul-18 16:39:51

There is an alternative to Lisalou's booby scarves - www.knittedknockers.org/ an organisation knitting soft prostheses for woment who have had mastectomies. They are always looking for volunteer knitters and provide patterns.

Oh! Just found out that the UK site is www.kkukciowix.com/

gmelon Tue 17-Jul-18 23:22:01

Bathsheba

Or what about this lip balm cosy? gringringrin

Years ago a friend and I made a fortune in the run up to Christmas by knitting and selling these. We couldn't make enough of them.

Although ours weren 't so large, which puzzles me grin
We persuaded the lovely ladies at the local wool shops to put them discreetly on display (three shops in just my road back then).
They sold like hot cakes. In a very respectable area, the wives thought it an ideal little (?) stocking filler for hubby.

I didn't mind the knitting but could not bring myself to go in and deliver them to these lovely wool shop ladies in their twinsets and face powder and red lipstick.
My rather bolder friend did that bit.

We were both 13yrs old!! Thirteen!
Had they known, my Grandparents would have died of shame.
I blame my friend grin

Witzend Fri 31-Aug-18 11:09:32

Years ago I had a dd ask me whether I could please knit a lemon (!) for a school friend, 'because her mum can't knit!'

Friend was knitting a basket of assorted fruit and veg for Home Economics GCSE - including a cauliflower! - and her deadline was looming. Yes, I did knit the lemon.

I dare say the exercise was useful in showing different stitches and techniques, but wouldn't you think they could have found something a bit more useful for them to spend all that time and yarn on?

Maybelle Wed 05-Sep-18 14:57:35

Just started to knit a triceratops to be followed by knitting a diplodocus !

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Sep-18 16:03:44

Any knitted item I manage to finish is a bit strange. I've just completed a voluminous Nanna blanket and a chunky scarf and hat for our local Oxfam shop, that pass muster if you squint at them under a bad light. grin The manager was very encouraging when I told her what a basic knitter I was - they'll be put into the shop if they're saleable and if not out they'll go into the Blessings box in their yard (free warm clothes for anyone who needs them). I know exactly where my efforts are heading!

I'm also helping out the local yarn bombers (sorry, Jalima blush) by knitting poppies for this year's Remembrance Day parade. They're hoping to cover the town in them over that weekend. As they want a safety pin on the back of each I'm assuming they'll sell them later to raise money for the Poppy Appeal (but maybe not mine).

MawBroon Wed 05-Sep-18 18:00:04

I thought these were cute!

JudyJudy12 Wed 05-Sep-18 18:46:24

These make you look twice.