Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you making?

(210 Posts)
craftergran Sun 30-Dec-18 18:06:11

What are you making in the New Year? I'm going to have a stab at making crocheted socks. Wondering what other crafty grans are planning to make this coming new year.

nipsmum Mon 31-Dec-18 11:43:11

I knit all the time but I bought myself a sewing machine 9 months ago and need to get down to using it for something. I have a pattern for patchwork bags I would like to try. I did a crochet course 2 years ago but I've only done one blanket in granny squares and not picked it up since. I would like to have some discipline and do something other than knitting. So much wool so little time.

CazB Mon 31-Dec-18 11:45:13

I'm planning to finish a taperstry cushion cover of VW camper vans which I'm making for my 5 year old GS's room. It was meant to have been completed for his 4th birthday, so I'm behind schedule. Also I'm going to use my Inktense pencils to create a card of some sort.

Granfran Mon 31-Dec-18 12:01:25

I am planning to do some more Smilestones ~ painted rocks that you hide to give someone a smile when they find it. Have a Pinterest board where I post lots of great ideas and I am going to try and take one out with me whenever I go anywhere different. Amazing how far they travel ~ someone posted a picture on FB of a stone found on a beach in the Caribbean ??

blue60 Mon 31-Dec-18 12:08:06

Getting back into sewing after many years. Currently making felt animals, embroidery and on the cards is making summer dress over the coming months.

Kim19 Mon 31-Dec-18 12:17:17

I'm 'planning' to make two new cupboards out of currently empty spaces. Have a feeling I might be saying the same thing next year! I've made a good start on the theory though........

NotSpaghetti Mon 31-Dec-18 12:18:02

I’m a weaver and have two wall-hanging commissions planned and one scarf project just started.
I love weaving as you can work with the thickest or thinnest of threads. It does need lots of planning but it’s the most miraculous and satisfying craft I know.

If I were to try something new it would be Battenburg lace - probably much easier lace than yours, Growing0ldDisgracefully, but beautiful just the same. Also, I would also love to find someone with an old Cornelli machine to have a go with. My daughter used one at university and it looked pretty simple. The “embroidery” was so striking though.

Stansgran Mon 31-Dec-18 12:22:56

Currently finishing off this year's Advent calendarblush I haven't numbered it yet but was planning to use Lakeland chocs which had numbers which made a Father Christmas picture. I thought After Eights might do as an alternative.

NotSpaghetti Mon 31-Dec-18 12:24:00

Growing0ldDisgracefully - have just googled Honiton lace and love it! So pretty. And how beautiful is the contrast between the little “woven” strips and the “twiddly bits”.

seadragon Mon 31-Dec-18 12:40:35

Oh, I'd hoped this might be a thread on things to cook for Hogmanay, having just received and invite to neighbours tonight.......

Craftycat Mon 31-Dec-18 12:44:42

Have done papercraft for years. I am now doing a lot of mixed media & learning to paint. Have some nice canvases waiting to be put up when decorations come down.

Marieeliz Mon 31-Dec-18 12:51:41

Try to finish the lovely scarf with the pattern and wool I purchased in Victoria Canada two years ago. I may have to unpick it though and start again, as I cannot remember where I am up to and it is not easy to tell.

mabon1 Mon 31-Dec-18 13:03:18

Absolutely nothing!

Jang Mon 31-Dec-18 13:04:51

Knitted three teddies, made a child's cot quilt and a quilted Xmas table runner plus knitted three scarves for presents... so am having a short break; B4 I make next years gift tags and cards from this yrs xmas cards; then I will finish my GD sgl bed quilt, knit some fingerless gloves ( friends request) and soon will be looking out for Seville oranges for my marmalade! Phew exhausted just writing it all down!!grin

CrazyGrandma2 Mon 31-Dec-18 13:08:11

Cross stitching samplers for special occasions and probably more poppies in the autumn. I also have a quilt to complete - only 10 years behind schedule smile

Happysexagenarian Mon 31-Dec-18 13:14:47

Right now I'm having a crafting break as I have the most dreadful cold. But it's not stopping me planning projects for the New Year. My first project will be to create 3 pairs of full length curtains for our kitchen/diner. I say create rather than make as I will buy ready made lightweight curtains and hand paint and stencil a summer meadow design on the lower half of each curtain - think poppies, cornflowers, cow parsley, rambling ivy, butterflies, swallows and perhaps the odd squirrel. I want each curtain to be different but for each pair to create a 'scene', if that makes sense. It sounds ambitious (even to me) but painting on fabric is easy and great fun.

Later in the year I will be making Christmas stockings and Santa sacks for the village Christmas Fair.

I was also given a candlemaking kit for Christmas, something I have never done before, so that will be fun to experiment with.

And I really should get to grips with my overlocker which I've had about two years but only used a few times. Getting the tension right for various types of fabrics seems to be unnecessarily difficult, so more practise needed I think.

A Happy New Year to everyone and good luck with all your crafting ambitions.

MiniMoon Mon 31-Dec-18 13:21:51

I'm on the lookout for some good Tunisian crochet patterns, as I've just taught myself how, and I'm collecting Tunisian crochet hooks!

B9exchange Mon 31-Dec-18 13:24:55

I made some peg doll and snowmen Christmas decorations to sell for the hospice, but had some left. Made a baby blanket with the parents' initials in the middle for expected grandchild due February, they wanted bamboo, which is very expensive, but turned out okay I hope!

Will start on baby clothes now I think.

grannybuy Mon 31-Dec-18 13:25:04

This is the fifth pram cover that I have made in this pattern. I really like it, and I'm thinking of making some for charity, using up some of my yarn stash! Currently knitting doll's clothes for DGD. They are so 'scuttery' ,but, a labour of love!

grandma1954 Mon 31-Dec-18 13:49:25

I’m an amateur painter so hoping to sell some pieces next year to recoup some of the framing costs.

Maggiemaybe Mon 31-Dec-18 14:16:32

What a crafty lot! I've finally found a few things basic enough for me to knit while I'm watching TV - chunky scarves for our local Oxfam shop's appeal for warm clothes for local homeless people, and hats for premature babies. If I had a granddaughter I'd be resurrecting my favourite old craft of smocking and embroidery, but I can't see any of my grandsons appreciating anything on those lines.

Leah50 Mon 31-Dec-18 14:26:10

After many years as a seamstress making everything from cushions to wedding dresses, in retirement this Christmas my only "makes" were outfits for the grandchildren's favourite cuddly toys. So Dexter the PG Tips chimp got a silky shirt, suede trousers & an embroidered Christmas jumper....Bluey the Ty Penguin apparently only needed a ghost costume & mask, to scare Pinky his Penguin friend!

Emelle Mon 31-Dec-18 14:28:16

I've promised DH an Aran sweater and I am just waiting for my favourite woolshop to open when I can get 15% of the price which on a garment like that is well worth waiting for. In the meantime I am knitting a lovely Aran hoodie for a f. friends daughter. I've done it so many times I don't nrrd the pattern but it is very popular.

Emelle Mon 31-Dec-18 14:31:32

Apologies for the typos - I'm using my phone not the laptop! smile

Hazy52 Mon 31-Dec-18 14:39:34

I am currently crocheting a holder for the remote controls. Going to attach velcro to each remote with a long crocheted 'ribbon' to the holder. Hopefully, this will work and none go missing. Next project is a crocheted Winnie the Pooh for a friend of a friend's baby expected in February. Third one I will have done and a little bit fed up with them (including all the other characters). I then intend knitting a shawl as complicated as possible.

narrowboatnan Mon 31-Dec-18 14:55:28

That reminds me - I must have a sort out of my stash of yarn. I’m sure I’ve got enough to knit another jumper and the rest I will use to crochet a blanket to throw over my sofa.