Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

It looked so simple on the box! Cross stitch [hmm]

(31 Posts)
bikergran Sat 17-Oct-20 20:22:41

Have been trying to think of a little something to dO.

Called in well know German supermarket thisaft and spotted this £3.99. thought ohh little simple project.

Opened the box and gosh! looks complicated, last bit of cross stitch I did was a letter "L" in a little 2 inch by 2 inch frame lol.

Will read the instructions then make a start when I retrieve my reading glasses from work smile (Don't wait up)!

lynx Wed 21-Oct-20 11:50:58

The comments above have given me a chuckle today, sorry and thank you! I have cross stitched for years but still remember the initial panics. Just follow the instructions and don't give up.
Aida fabric is woven with holes to put the needle through, 14 count has 14 holes per inch and is usually the best for beginners. Good luck to those starting new projects.

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 13:03:12

Thanks lynx

I did once make a couple of cross stitch cards from kits that came with a magazine.
They looked a bit wonky when finished so I didn't send them to anyone.

bikergran Wed 21-Oct-20 14:59:19

Think I borrowed some books from the library and made these. Maybe as others have said, start off with little kit that usually has everything in, plus they are small enough to complete.

Alishka Tue 03-Nov-20 21:14:00

I've chuckled my way through thisgrin Brilliant thread (see what I did there?)

Whiff Tue 03-Nov-20 21:37:49

Bikergran I took up cross stitch 4 years ago . Wish I had done it decades before. Could never understand how crosses would make picture. I love it it's so relaxing. I mainly use 14 count Aida. Have used 16 and 18. Tried evenweave but couldn't get on with it. I brought a little kit off Amazon . Made many mistakes. But was hooked. I then brought cross stitcher magazine and did the free kit that comes with every issue. The biggest thing I have made was a Triumph motor bike for my brother's 60 th birthday. Took me 3 months almost 28,000 crosses. No back stitch.

I know some people don't like back stitching but it's what makes the design come to life.

I subscribe to cross stitcher and the world of cross stitching.

I suggest you buy a magazine and try again. The world of cross stitching has readers work in it and has many small designs. I buy my Aida buy the metre of e bay as it's the cheapest but good quality and British made. I use DMC threads only 68p from lakeside needlecraft