Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting with one needle under arm

(106 Posts)
Streaky Thu 12-Nov-20 15:11:33

This was the method I was taught by my Mum. I have moved into a flat, bought new furniture to fit, but my new chair has big padded arms and I find I can’t knit without my arms knocking into the chairs arms, there is just no room.
How easy would it be to try and learn a different method of knitting, I am 74. Any advice would be much appreciated.
I can crochet but much prefer knitting.
Thanks

Alegrias2 Sun 15-Nov-20 13:23:13

This is a nice little video Romola. She demonstrates steeking as well which has always scared me to death!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cygWM1e_sw0

I met this lady at a wool fair a few years ago, she is lovely. She holds the record for the world's fastest knitter, or did at the time.

JanT8 Mon 16-Nov-20 08:03:21

I always use bamboo circular needles, just seems so much easier to me and they do take the weight.
I mean for flat knitting, not knitting in the round.

muppett1 Mon 16-Nov-20 08:16:23

I always put one needle under my arm. Was taught by mum and grandma. I have been told it’s a ‘ northern ‘ way of knitting and that needles get shorter as you go further south! Found knitting a bit difficult with circular needles. I’m left handed and tried crochet but have problems with tension.

Callistemon Mon 16-Nov-20 12:07:25

Callistemon l laughed at your 2 sweater sofa
Nana3 I've probably got enough in my stash to knit a couple of sweaters for the sofa!

Lioness68 Thu 19-Nov-20 17:35:30

I knit with the needle tucked under my right arm. I am right handed and was taught by my Black Country Mum and Grandma. I don't knit as fast these days as I used to because of my arthritic hands. I am 69 and don't think I could change now. I also am unable to crochet. I do try occasionally but without success. I may try again this winter though.