Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Inspired by all of the knitting ladies here

(38 Posts)
Forsythia Tue 09-Feb-21 16:11:04

I’ve been reading this section for a while in lockdown. I’m new to gransnet. My daughter is having her first baby in the summer and after not knitting for over 38 years, I’m well on the way to knitting a baby blanket. Nothing fancy, just plain and Pearl, but I’m using different colours and squares so I’m amazed at how it’s looking. It’s given me real pleasure and something to focus on during lockdown. I start at 4pm, one eye on Midsomer Murders, and knit until I go to bed.
So all you ladies who talk about their stashes...you’ve all inspired me!

lemsip Thu 18-Feb-21 21:30:56

I just googled 'where to buy faux fur pom poms for hats and numorous places popped up here's just one of them

www.amazon.co.uk/Faux-Fur-Pom-Balls-Hats/s?k=Faux+Fur+Pom+Pom+Balls+for+Hats&tag=gransnetforum-21

lemsip Thu 18-Feb-21 21:55:47

oh dear, still a problem sending PMs then. went numerous times, apologies.

Luckylegs Thu 18-Feb-21 22:11:46

As a virtual knitting beginner, could anyone possibly give me a simple pattern for a snood for me? I’ve got wool and needles and I fancy doing something very easy but I’d need some very simple instructions from some kind person?

DanniRae Fri 19-Feb-21 07:35:45

I have knitted a few baby hats and wish to send them to a charity - has anyone got an address, please.
Thank you!

Witzend Fri 19-Feb-21 09:39:11

@Luckylegs, I just found a ‘beginner’ snood pattern after a quick search on the LoveCrafts site.
Just go to Lovecrafts, click on patterns, and search for snood - there are probably a lot.

Witzend Fri 19-Feb-21 10:00:03

PS LL, that one was free to download, but many of their patterns can be downloaded for a couple of ££.

lemsip Fri 19-Feb-21 10:08:01

DanniRae donate baby hats

littleredwindow.com/where-to-donate-baby-hats-to-charity/

midgey Fri 19-Feb-21 10:14:58

On advice from another poster I followed the link -knitforpeace, seems such an amazing charity well worth knitting for!

Witzend Fri 19-Feb-21 10:44:52

Me too @Midgey, I’ve already posted off two parcels. Just busy with 2nd stash buster scarf now. They turn out very nicely.
There’s a very quick and simple free pattern for a little teddy on the website, but the photo doesn’t look very inspiring. I gave mine very slightly longer arms, legs and body, and added a scarf (securely stitched on) since otherwise there was no way of securing the facial stitches without it showing - or making it too easy for a small child to pick off.
So I started and finished at the neck, and the scarf covered the ‘evidence’ nicely.

Luckylegs Fri 19-Feb-21 13:58:11

Thank you very much, Witzend very kind of you. I’ll have a look now, see if it’s simple enough for me!

DanniRae Fri 19-Feb-21 14:18:37

Thank you ladies for help with charities to send my baby hats to! smile

Nannina Tue 23-Feb-21 12:13:14

Wizened-have you tried starting with a knot that you take between 2 stitches and pulling to secure in the stuffing. Once features are finished take the thread in and out between stitches until again secured in the stuffing. Pull tight at the end and cut close to the knitting so, when released, the thread disappears inside. Not a complicated as it sounds and should be demonstrated on U tube