Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Brexi bonus - fabric cost

(33 Posts)
Polarbear2 Mon 22-Feb-21 09:58:28

Been looking on a popular website for new unusual fabric. Discovered out of 100+ items advertised only ~20 were from UK. The rest had horrendous additional costs added due to our lovely brexi bonus deal. Anyone got any UK fabric sites they’d recommend. I use the popular ones already. Wondered if there were hidden gems out there?

Susie42 Tue 23-Feb-21 09:21:14

I like Clothspot, Dragonfly Fabrics, Calico Laine, and Croft Mill. I don't know where you're based but the shops in Goldhawk Road or Walthamstow market are good.

Nannarose Tue 23-Feb-21 09:28:35

Yes, I miss the markets, where you can get a good feel for the fabric, and they are usually generous with the measurements. I used to love the Goldhawk Road, but am a bit fr from it now. Birmingham and Leicester are both good (when up and running)

Trisha57 Tue 23-Feb-21 09:30:22

I use Pound Fabrics, Minerva, Cheap Fabrics uk, eFabrics, Vend fabrics, Poundametre.com As you can tell, I don't usually buy expensive fabrics as I am still learning but you can get some decent cotton/polycotton for a reasonable price from all of these. At the moment, I am concentrating on dresses/shirts and pyjamas/leggings for my grandchildren, but I may venture into making something for myself eventually!

PippaZ Tue 23-Feb-21 10:03:31

When I first decided to stop flitting from hobby to hobby and sit with sewing (still a broad brush smile) I was stunned at the price of patterns from the independant designers Nannarose. However, when you see the paper quality and the styles, sometimes with a video tutorial available, you can understand why. Then I realised you could by from all over the world, particularly Australia and the USA as they seem to have very progressive markets. You can get them as a PDF, as you did, and could either print and piece or send them to be printed.

Now I see people are using projectors and there are projector friendly pattern designers. I doubt this is a step I would take but once set up it would take out some to the back ache! Technology is certainly on the side of the sewist.

Nannarose Tue 23-Feb-21 10:41:10

I buy very few patterns now as I have learned how to draft from a basic. However, I have bought knit and stretch patterns as they are so different. Those are the ones I got printed up from a PDF.
I roll them up and store them in an empty wine case (Xmas gift) that makes me feel virtuous from recycling and stylish. The speed with which I drank the wine is best glossed over!
I have not heard of using projectors, and indeed that may be a step too far, but as you say, technology is on our side!

I am told by friends who live there, that in the US, home dressmaking has remained a common hobby. In Australia, clothe are very expensive so home sewing is done more.
Although not the point of this thread, I thought I would share some favourite patterns:
All of these can usually be found in the UK, but it is easy to buy with a credit card from the main site if you are getting the PDF. I would add that I only get the print shop to print the main pattern - I print the instructions myself on A4.
www.cashmerette.com/
www.stylearc.com
This is great UK shop that will print for you:
thefoldline.com/

PippaZ Tue 23-Feb-21 11:44:20

Can I add to that Sew me Something. sewmesomething.co.uk/ A good place for linens too. There is an FB Sew me Something group and she does two Facebook Live's a week. These can be picked up on Youtube (I'm fairly sure) if you don't do Facebook.

One thing I find about the independant pattern designers are they seem, in general, very tech savy so some will run online courses or classes. Lots of different people coming from lots of different standpoints so it should always be possible to find someone to suit your needs if you want tuition.

For anyone looking for patterns there is an FB group called The Pattern Exchange Group (P.E.G). Some patterns are "vintage" shall we say, but they have new ones too and they all have to be in good order. You can sell any excess patterns on there too or ask if anyone has a particular one.

(I know I have gone off topic too but thank you to Polarbear2 for starting this. It's been really interesting)

Polarbear2 Tue 23-Feb-21 13:19:09

Welcome and thanks for all the comments. Susie - I live in Sheffield so Walthamstow is a bit of a trek ?. I miss markets too. I used to work on a market stall in my youth selling fabric. I spent most of my earnings on the stall ??. I gave up on dressmaking long ago due to lack of fabric and went onto curtains. DD has started making clothes for the GC this year though and it’s revived my interest. Thanks again all.