Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Can't stop making things.

(73 Posts)
beautybumble Tue 09-Mar-21 13:03:53

Hi. I've just uploaded a picture here, but not sure if it worked. Anyway, I find lately that I have a real bug for making new things. It's nice to know there are others here that have the same passion for crafts. I made this one a few days ago (if the pic turns up) and now in the middle of more different style bags. Thats my thing at the moment, bags and purses. Hope you're managing to keep well and busy.

threexnanny Tue 09-Mar-21 13:27:10

Very well done it looks really good. I made several bags for various friends and family in first lockdown but have lost motivation now. I need inspiration to get me going again.

Blossoming Tue 09-Mar-21 14:02:03

That’s lovely beautybumble

Jaxjacky Tue 09-Mar-21 14:26:42

Very clever! No crafting skills here I’m afraid.

Witzend Tue 09-Mar-21 14:38:59

Lovely bag! I really like the colours.,

I’m much the same, only it’s knitting. I’m always looking for something different that somebody (usually kids TBH) might like. I just enjoy making things, but I do usually have a specific recipient in mind, even if it’s a general one like the school Christmas raffle.

StatenIsland Thu 11-Mar-21 10:01:09

That's a lovely batik bag, beautybumble. Like Witzend, I'm also mainly a knitter and crocheter but have been enjoying all kinds of crafts during the last year.

I also find it very relaxing to watch people crafting on You Tube and other sites. My current favourite in Margarete Miller who had a website and You Tube channel. She's a very talented paper collage artist. More here:

www.margaretemiller.com/

www.youtube.com/channel/UC6JtZTTfKrzxKjlFnP2HEyg

Hithere Thu 11-Mar-21 20:29:55

I looooove that bag

EilaRose Thu 11-Mar-21 23:15:50

beautybumble Your bag is lovely. Black always gives other colours more oomph doesn't it?

Most of my sewing is clothing for myself, but I made a couple of handbags in the last year or three. There are so many free patterns to download, which are great as you don't need to spend hours drafting your own.

nanna8 Thu 11-Mar-21 23:26:55

What a lovely bag. Great colour scheme. I’m the same and always have things on the go. Usually watch tv at night and knit, crossstitch or whatever at the same time. I think the creative urge is very strong in some of us and something to be encouraged.

Eloethan Fri 12-Mar-21 00:06:16

That's a beautiful bag. I wish I could make nice things like that.

Nannina Sat 13-Mar-21 13:17:10

I’m the same re knitting, I’m planning my next project when sewing up current one. I suppose there are a lot worse habits to have

Witzend Sat 20-Mar-21 09:50:40

Me too, Nannina. I was wondering just the other day whether my abundant stash would have enough for the C-word things I shall start making fairly soon, mostly for Gdcs’ school C-word fair raffle. I can see another online order soon...

rupertandrory Mon 29-Mar-21 10:43:43

I'm new to Gransnet, good to know there are people out there who can't stop making things. Being a post war baby boomer, I was raised not to waste anything. I too have been making tote bags, fabric baskets, zip bags, jams, chutneys, painting pictures. Made quite a few gifts for Christmas this year and everyone seems delighted to receive them. Now upcycling furniture. Just can't stop........is there a cure for this malady? Hoping to pass on skills to my grand daughter, only 18 months at the moment.

Redhead56 Mon 29-Mar-21 11:18:27

Well it’s nice to hear people are keeping occupied the bag is lovely. I have recently started making fairy gardens in lanterns. I have progressed to pots if I can negotiate my new iPad I will post a pic of my most recent one. Happy crafting everyone!

hemantsonimusic Thu 01-Apr-21 13:38:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tanjamaltija Fri 02-Apr-21 10:35:51

I love it! Perhaps you would consider selling them and having the proceeds go to your favourite charity? I do that with jewellery, because my daughter is a nun, so all I make goes to the creche, and the materials / postage / time are my donation.

Greciangirl Fri 02-Apr-21 10:36:33

That really is a lovely bag.

I would like to learn crochet. When I can get out to buy the materials, I may try You Tube lessons.

Crazygran Fri 02-Apr-21 10:46:29

Really good . I can’t stop making things either but can’t sew or knit.Using other materials .
?

libra10 Fri 02-Apr-21 10:48:40

The bag looks great, smart and stylish.

I used to do lots of knitting for the family and children, then became interested in crochet and crossstitch.

These days, I tend to spend lots of time on the internet.

Candelle Fri 02-Apr-21 10:52:07

Not sure if this will work (my trying to add a photo) but a knitting fairy has been busy knitting 'toppers' for post boxes (an idea for *Witzend?). It's the first that I have seen locally and I hope that more may appear.

I will try and add a shot.

In St Albans, these knitted toppers appear near Christmas and decorate many different boxes. They are all different and I think they are wonderful.

Candelle Fri 02-Apr-21 10:54:30

It didn't work! May try later but perhaps this type of thing will be on another forum. Anyway, all you knitters, get going, as these post box toppers give great please.

Maidmarion Fri 02-Apr-21 10:57:32

Yes, it’s bonkers the amount of ‘stuff’ I’ve made lately! Mainly textile jewellery and other sewing projects... I must stop!!! Thank goodness it’s now gardening time (except on Monday lol!!!)

Happysexagenarian Fri 02-Apr-21 11:01:58

That's lovely beautybumble, very nice combination of fabrics. I also like making bags but haven't done any for a while, As I recently started quilting I may try some quilted bags - it might use up some of my huge fabric stash! I like to use soft leathers in my bags as well. Quilting on leather perhaps (?), now there's an idea.......

Witzend Fri 02-Apr-21 11:08:27

Looking forward to a photo, Candelle - sounds intriguing!

Though having said that, dare I admit that I’ve started making C-word things already? One large snowman stocking done (not sewn up) and yesterday I started a Wise Man for yet another Nativity set. All will go to Gdcs’ school for their C-word fair raffle, usually in late November. I sent some items last year - no fair because of COVID but they had an online raffle anyway - and they seemed to go down very well, so I’m at it again.

b1zzle Fri 02-Apr-21 11:08:52

A beautiful and unique bag, beautybumble.