Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What do all the lovely grans nets artists think?

(48 Posts)
M0ira Thu 17-Feb-22 12:39:37

I was told, a very long time ago, that I was not very good at art. In fact just to prove the point I failed art O level!
Recently, I have gone back to doodling. Would love some feed back. Many thanks. ?

M0ira Thu 17-Feb-22 12:42:57

PS this was the image I meant to post up!

Dickens Thu 17-Feb-22 13:18:19

... well, I'd like to be able to 'doodle' like that!

What I notice is the way you've interpreted the hair and eyes on both portraits.

The little girl's hair is lovely, and you've managed to capture the baby's expression in his (assuming it's a boy) eyes - not easy to do!

Maybe you should go to art classes to increase your knowledge / talent and retake that O level!

I was told by my art teacher one year that I was good enough for the O Level... and the next year he changed his mind and said he didn't think my work was up to standard. Discouraging isn't it?!

BBbevan Thu 17-Feb-22 14:02:43

Are they from photographers? . ( sorry ex art teacher here)
But lovely pencil work. Well done .

M0ira Thu 17-Feb-22 14:05:24

Yes they are from photographs. One is my grand daughter and the other is me as a bridesmaid aged 9!

Hithere Thu 17-Feb-22 15:20:17

Wow they are awesome!

foxie48 Thu 17-Feb-22 16:36:51

I think they're great. It's never to late to start going to art classes and it's a lovely way to spend some time. I've joined "Colourwheel" and as a complete beginner I have found it great at inspiring me as we have done a bit of everything from pastels to water colours and they provide everything you need.

M0ira Thu 17-Feb-22 17:06:24

A more recent watercolour.

Hithere Thu 17-Feb-22 17:07:48

Gorgeous

Redhead56 Thu 17-Feb-22 17:30:36

Beautiful pictures the portraits are full of expression. The cottage reminds me of one I stayed at in Wales I can picture the interior in my mind it’s lovely. I have always said you are never too old to learn I always wanted to go to art college but wasn’t allowed too.
I made up for it later in life I did a two diploma in art and jewellery design at 42. At the same time two years gemmology that involved a lot of drawing but that was for work too.
I draw birds and butterflies occasionally for pure pleasure it keeps the brain cells working.

Whiff Fri 18-Feb-22 07:10:46

All 3 pictures are beautiful . I can't draw or paint apart from walls . But I do make pictures using cross stitch. But I follow charts so not original work . Dragon I did for my sister in law's 60th.

M0ira Fri 18-Feb-22 08:33:58

Whiff,
That is beautiful. What a talented person you are. I strongly believe that there are so many ways to be artistic, needlework, knitting, cake decorating, sculpture work. Find what you love and just do it !
The posts so far have spurred me into action and have been looking at art courses in our area.

Serendipity22 Fri 18-Feb-22 08:38:43

Flippin heck !!! WELL DONE M0ira, there is certainly talent there.
flowers

Witzend Fri 18-Feb-22 08:39:09

They’re both really lovely, MOira.

You must have been reasonably good at art to be doing the O level at all!

My art teacher invariably wrote just one word on my reports:
‘Weak’.
Though to be fair, ‘hopeless’ would have been more accurate!

Baggs Fri 18-Feb-22 10:07:09

Keep doodling and watercolouring, M0ira! ?

foxie48 Sat 19-Feb-22 08:47:12

I've found lots of tutorials on the internet depending on which medium you want to use. Really helpful and free as well as courses that you can subscribe to. Also lots of images that you can use. Some of my efforts are pretty dire but I've also done some which I'm really pleased with, this is pen and wash I did following a video tutorial.

Smileless2012 Sat 19-Feb-22 09:03:19

I'd say you have a talent M0ira, they're lovely.

That's beautiful Whiff.

Shinamae Sat 19-Feb-22 09:07:03

All the artwork on here is lovely. I’m afraid I have not got an artistic bone in my body ?

Whiff Sat 19-Feb-22 14:18:36

foxie your painting is beautiful.

M0ira Sat 19-Feb-22 15:24:10

Those are amazing. I really must start looking on line for some ideas, tips etc. Well done, keep going.

M0ira Sat 19-Feb-22 15:25:02

In reply to foxie48.??

nadateturbe Sat 19-Feb-22 15:35:42

Moira your work is good. You should join a class. I go to a class and also a club. It's good to get ideas from others.

Foxie and Whiff great work too. Art is a lovely pastime.

crazyH Sat 19-Feb-22 15:40:47

So talented - I envy you ladies ?

VioletSky Sat 19-Feb-22 15:42:41

Those are really lovely!

2 of my children are very into art and they draw a series of circles and lines first to give the portrait structure and its so clever!

luluaugust Sat 19-Feb-22 15:55:50

They are lovely. Why not look for an art group to join. I'm not very good but I enjoy going, having a go and looking at other peoples work you get lots of ideas and others who are better painters help the rest of us.