Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

The Great British Sewing Bee

(239 Posts)
Millie22 Fri 22-Apr-22 10:54:41

? Sewing Bee is back ? next Wednesday with a new presenter.

Rosalyn69 Thu 16-Jun-22 12:46:46

I’m really enjoying this programme. I haven’t watched any of the other series. I think Esme is just fantastic and I loved her outfit last night.

Visgir1 Thu 16-Jun-22 13:12:56

This is the first series the winner is not obviouse, they all stand a chance.
Love GBSB, Esme what a Legion!

Parsley3 Thu 16-Jun-22 14:29:50

I had a bet on Brogan being the winner, but after her pyjamas last week and her performance this week I am not so sure.
Has Esme written an autobiography? I bet she has some tales to tell.

Joseanne Thu 16-Jun-22 14:32:14

Esme is great. She says it as it is, without being condescending. They all seem to like her.

Rosie51 Thu 16-Jun-22 18:50:42

I've just finished watching it on iPlayer. I really wished Christian had survived. Despite them saying it's judged purely on each week's performances I do wonder if they were influenced by Brogan's past success. Christian brought more imagination to his clothes, although you have to give it to Brogan she's usually a very neat and accurate sewer. I do think all her garments are a bit 'samey' I'm pretty sure in most of the transformation challenges the judges know exactly which one is Brogan's. I shall have to try and watch next week live, it's been torture trying to avoid spoilers this week!

Millie22 Thu 16-Jun-22 19:17:45

Parsley

Esme's autobiography is called 'Behind the Seams'.

Purplepixie Fri 17-Jun-22 13:11:02

I love the programme but I would find it annoying if Sara Pascoe was standing over me with her “witty” remarks.

I also agree about the transformation challenge - who would honestly wear those outfits? Not me!

Love Esme and I will miss the show when it comes to an end.

Chardy Thu 23-Jun-22 07:24:09

Lovely to have all 4 in the final. And they were all so pleased for each other.

Grandmabatty Thu 23-Jun-22 07:34:21

I thought Brogan was going home. So nice to have them all in the final. Annie is quietly overtaking the rest at the moment. It'll be interesting to see who wins.

Calendargirl Thu 23-Jun-22 07:39:05

Hmm, I don’t know if it’s best that no one was eliminated. Bit of a cop out really.

Gingster Thu 23-Jun-22 07:42:56

Loving Sewing Bee and so pleased all four are in the final. ?.

I thought Brogan would win from the beginning but the others have pulled ahead. Amee (spelling)?is my favourite and she’s improved so much.
Can’t stand the comedian Sara Pascoe - what’s the point of her! Not funny and so cringe making.
Esme is a strange little woman - can’t make her out! No humour and a wavering little voice. A peculiar choice - IMO!

Casdon Thu 23-Jun-22 07:45:34

I thought it would be Debra going home last night, she did redeem herself a bit with the origami dress, which I didn’t like but could see the work in, but her first two outfits were poor. Annie is so unassuming isn’t she, she underestimates her abilities as she’s excellent.

Grandmabatty Thu 23-Jun-22 07:49:21

Gingster Esme doesn't seem quite well this series. Her voice was very firm in previous years. She's a very interesting character.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 23-Jun-22 08:23:51

Astonishing to see all four of them reach the final - whoever wins is really going to have to pull it out of the hat, aren't they?

TillyTrotter Thu 23-Jun-22 08:37:38

As they are all so skilled I wonder if the team behind the prog are scratching their heads wondering what challenges to set these 4 in the Final.
The kimono’s were a bit like doing a Rubic cube - a real puzzle.
So much fabric!

CaravanSerai Thu 23-Jun-22 10:05:41

I was surprised that Brogan wasn’t eliminated. Her dress did not fit the brief. It wasn’t origami. Her transformation wasn’t Sashiko embroidery. It was appliqué. The lining of her kimono was too short and pulled. I suspect that bit earlier in the programme where Esme and Patrick said she was the most accurate (or consistent) sewer - can’t remember which - was a warning of the final result.

Such an up and down competition. Annie’s was by far and away the best kimono. Man Yee was the only one whose transformation included a substantial amount of Sashiko embroidery in the time available and it was a well thought-out design. I was expecting two garments of the week - Annie’s and Debra’s.

Annie seems calmer than the others, working quietly without all the drama. I’d like to see her win.

TillyTrotter Thu 23-Jun-22 10:38:12

I’ve just read on Derbyshire Live Brogan has announced she is expecting her first baby. Congrats to her and boyfriend.

Grandmabatty Thu 23-Jun-22 10:42:27

That's nice to hear ,*Tillytrotter*. I like her and whoever wins, I wish her and the others well. It's such a heartwarming programme,like the pottery one.

Visgir1 Thu 23-Jun-22 11:20:52

Please all 4 for the final they are all really good.
Think Annie will get it.. But it's very close.
Such a lovely program.

DanniRae Thu 23-Jun-22 11:52:03

I can't believe that I shed a tear when all 4 got through to the final! But I was so pleased for all of them smile. Can't wait for next week!! gringrin

grannydarkhair Fri 24-Jun-22 02:00:29

I think Brogan should have been sent home, Cristian used the wrong fabric and was elimated so why not Brogan? Having said that, of the four dresses, I actually liked Brogans the best although it did not fit the brief. I’m hoping Debra wins it next week, I love her choice of fabrics and her wee innovative touches. I follow a few of them on Instagram, Gill and Debra especially make fabulous outfits.

pearl79 Fri 24-Jun-22 04:02:35

I do enjoy the Sewing Bee, and wish it lasted for longer, or they had it on more than once a year.
I do wonder what next week's challenge will be, because that will "dictate" who wins. Should we all have a go at guessing?

BlueBelle Fri 24-Jun-22 06:08:03

Brogan should have gone I think that was a bit of a fix

BlueBelle Fri 24-Jun-22 06:14:12

I m with you Ginster I can’t feel anything for esme I m unsure what others see that’s so wonderful about her She is probably an interesting little woman if you ve read up about her, but as she comes across in this programme I find her bland

volver Fri 24-Jun-22 07:20:21

www.prima.co.uk/leisure/celebrity/a39783895/sewing-bee-esme-young/

Here's "interesting little woman" Esme!

She partied with Bowie and the Sex Pistols and had her own fashion label. Respect, Esme!