Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Asked to teach Gdd to knit!

(86 Posts)
Witzend Sun 12-Feb-23 09:40:07

It was dd who asked, so I dare say Gdd (8 in April) has mentioned it. Elder Gdcs are coming to stay for much of next week (half term) so wish me luck. I already have some children’s needles and a mass of colourful oddments for her to choose from.

I just hope she won’t be like dd, who has always had zero patience with sewing or knitting - I still remember her frustration at being unable to crack it in 10 minutes and chucking her knitting on the floor!
They are very different, though - Gdd enjoys anything ‘crafty’ so 🤞.

libra10 Tue 14-Feb-23 14:10:30

My granddaughter asked me to teach her to knit. I found all the parafernalia, and patiently tried to show her, but she wanted me to do it while she watched.

It was the same with crochet and sewing tapestry pictures. Just remembered the origami. We never did learn how to make an origami bird.

SueEH Tue 14-Feb-23 14:21:51

I’m a left hander taught to knit right handed by a grandma. I have twins - one left and one right handed. Needless to say none of are in the least proficient in knitting 🤣
But I crochet (right handed), one daughter does beautiful cross stitch and one paints. Each to their own.

Merryweather Tue 14-Feb-23 15:39:40

Every time I've tried to learn I have ended up with button holes all over the place. No dropped stitches at all. I got told to give it up as a bad job last time.
I'll stick to watercolour painting and other crafts.

songstress60 Tue 14-Feb-23 16:36:07

I cannot knit, sew or crochet. I had no grandmothers. Both died before I was born, my mother didn't knit. She had no patience to teach me to sew. I grieve for the lack of skill I NEVER acquired.

Nannashirlz Tue 14-Feb-23 16:58:28

My gran taught me and I’ve taught my oldest granddaughter but she wasn’t keen at 7 she didn’t learn until in lockdown I taught her over video so was much harder to teach her but by time we came out of lockdown she could knit and cook has I would cook in my kitchen and she hers it kept her entertained and me

Nannashirlz Tue 14-Feb-23 16:59:08

Nannashirlz

My gran taught me and I’ve taught my oldest granddaughter but she wasn’t keen at 7 she didn’t learn until in lockdown I taught her over video so was much harder to teach her but by time we came out of lockdown she could knit and cook has I would cook in my kitchen and she hers it kept her entertained and me

She was 9 in lockdown

Tweedle24 Tue 14-Feb-23 21:07:41

My father taught me to knit. It wasn’t that he knitted himself, but had watched my mother, who was constantly knitting. She did not have, nor pretended to have, the patience to teach so he took over. I remember him sitting next to me chanting, “In, over, out and off.”

Dizzyribs Wed 15-Feb-23 21:57:29

I couldn't learn to knit with those short thin sticks that are labelled "children's needles". My mother despaired. However, my gran taught me in around ten minutes using her full sized ones, one held very tightly under my arm-pit so I didn't need to hold it and the other that could "wiggle about" as I needed two hands to actually knit...
I've taught several little people to knit this way, and all of them have gone on to enjoy knitting and make their own jumpers, hats etc.
Some of my "knitting pupils" are now well into their 40's and still proudly knitting !

Fleurpepper Thu 16-Feb-23 08:34:26

wow that was quick. On BBC News today 'X who was taught to knit by grand-mother, now featured in Vogue' Bravo!

Witzend Sun 19-Feb-23 12:03:26

Well, she lost interest after doing one laborious row of 12 stitches.
To be fair we were out for much of the 3 days they were with us, though, and there was piano practice to fit in as well.