Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What am I missing?

(8 Posts)
MerylStreep Wed 01-Mar-23 11:02:01

I saw this on YouTube and can’t figure out the benefit.
What’s the advantage of going up and under the pins.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8aVzKlfYI&list=PLWOW0g-C_egZw5QHeX48yeH2PCQsWV9xU&index=46

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Mar-23 11:57:06

I'm trying to work this out.

I suppose it saves pinning the whole piece or pieces of material together.
It keeps the seam straight as it guides the fabric along the card
It keeps the fabric in place better.

I won't know unless I try it. But not today 😀

MerylStreep Wed 01-Mar-23 12:53:37

I’m giving it a go this afternoon ( hopefully)
And strangle enough I’ve just had a lamp delivered where a piece of the packaging was that piece of cardboard.

nanasam Wed 01-Mar-23 12:56:17

The only thing I can suggest is that it's giving you an even hem allowance but I still don't understand why you should weave the fabric through the pins confused

Baggs Wed 01-Mar-23 13:16:35

I suspect the pins are a mild tensionning device and the cardboard is a good edge to guide aagainst.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 01-Mar-23 13:28:07

I haven't tried this, as my machine would bend the pins for certain!

I assume the advantage of using the card is that the cloth stays in line with it, easier than if you just follow the seam guide.

Weaving the elastic over and under the pins presumably keeps it taut, so you don't have to stretch the elastic with the hand that is not guiding the material.

MerylStreep Wed 01-Mar-23 19:01:13

I gave it a go but couldn’t see any advantage. I use a magnet on the rare times I need an extra wide seam.

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Mar-23 19:03:15

nanasam

The only thing I can suggest is that it's giving you an even hem allowance but I still don't understand why you should weave the fabric through the pins confused

It may be to stop the fabric slipping.