Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

I'm thinking of buying a yarn bowl 🤔

(60 Posts)
Fairycakes Fri 15-Dec-23 17:38:05

I've seen some nice yarn bowls on both amazon and Ebay. They look really pretty, but I wonder if I really need one.

Does anyone possess one and if so are they useful? All thoughts welcome 🤗

AreWeThereYet Fri 15-Dec-23 17:42:18

There are some pretty ones. I just use a big plastic bottle with the top and bottom cut off. Not that I'm cheap or anything 😁 Assuming they are used for feeding wool.

Ilovecheese Fri 15-Dec-23 17:50:57

If a yarn bowl will give you pleasure then it is worth buying, useful or not. Go on, treat yourself.

rubysong Fri 15-Dec-23 18:07:42

If it is ceramic or wood make sure it is smooth where the yarn runs. I saw one at a craft fair recently and it was very nice but rough and would have shredded the yarn.

Baggs Fri 15-Dec-23 18:18:03

DD has one and has found it useful. I think hers is ceramic. I have been known to use a jug (also pretty) to similar purpose.

Grammaretto Fri 15-Dec-23 18:22:15

I was given a beautiful wooden one last Christmas. I love it.
I have made a few ceramic ones but they are not as smooth (I'm a potter) and tricky to make.
This one says it's from Hobbycraft, Christchurch, Dorset.

Grammaretto Fri 15-Dec-23 18:25:28

Here it is. It keeps the wool from getting tangled

Doodledog Fri 15-Dec-23 18:25:45

I have a wooden one. I love it, but don't use it a lot, to be honest. It's a lovely think in its own right though, so it has a place on the coffee table.

Fairycakes Fri 15-Dec-23 19:15:09

Thank you all for your help.

Thank you, Ilovecheese. I think you're right. I should treat myself. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list and someone else can treat me 😄.

Grammaretto I love your yarn bowl. It's very pretty 🤩

SueDonim Fri 15-Dec-23 19:41:39

I have a ceramic one, from Flying Tiger, I think. It’s nice and smooth. I only used it for yarn that’s wound like a cotton reel, not the standard yarns, iykwim.

Rosie51 Fri 15-Dec-23 20:51:50

Mine is a beautiful ceramic one that one of my sons bought me for Mothers' Day some years ago. He thought of it all by himself! I do occasionally use it, but otherwise like Doodledog's it's a lovely ornament.

lixy Fri 15-Dec-23 20:56:50

Mine is a ceramic one, shaped like a jam jar but bigger. It has a slot in the lid for the yarn to come through.
I do use it and found it very handy when a friend came with her puppy as he couldn't chase the wool!

CanadianGran Fri 15-Dec-23 21:13:14

They are definitely an improvement on the shopping bag I currently use!

MiniMoon Fri 15-Dec-23 21:17:56

I made a mistake and bought one of these yarn holders. I should have bought a yarn bowl, it would have been much better.

Doodledog Sat 16-Dec-23 01:25:27

The yarn butlers like the one in your photo are meant for caked yarn, whereas the bowls are for balls. That’s why I don’t use my bowl a lot. I buy skeined or coned yarn and wind it into cakes.

LadyGracie Sat 16-Dec-23 08:07:23

DH made my wooden one on his lathe, it's beautiful and very useful.

Greyduster Sat 16-Dec-23 08:35:06

DD and I saw some in a new shop that has opened in our city centre. I think I might have one in my Christmas stocking (pretty please!)! My mother used to have a plastic one like a beehive and the yard came out of a hole in the top. I wish I’d kept it.

karmalady Sat 16-Dec-23 08:52:29

I have had two yarn bowls, waste of money and I got rid of them. I now use a small pretty curver knit effect basket. Big enough to drop my knitting into it. If I am doing colourwork then I hang some device that looks like a muzzle from each corner of my trolley, which is next to my chair

Yarn bowls are pretty but, for me, useless

Primrose53 Sat 16-Dec-23 09:09:09

I bought my friend a small knitting bag for her birthday. She knits socks and baby items so it seemed a good idea for small projects. You pop your wool inside and on one end in a reinforced hole which you pass the yarn through to keep your yarn clean. She loves it.

Fairycakes Sat 16-Dec-23 09:35:59

Doodledog

The yarn butlers like the one in your photo are meant for caked yarn, whereas the bowls are for balls. That’s why I don’t use my bowl a lot. I buy skeined or coned yarn and wind it into cakes.

Thank you for pointing out the difference between yarn butlers and bowls. I wasn't aware that the yarn is wound differently for each. I wind my yarn into cakes, so now wonder if a yarn bowl is suitable. They are so pretty though, I might start winding them into balls just so as I can use one 🤣🤣

Doodledog Sat 16-Dec-23 10:23:08

Do you ever buy balled yarn? If so, you could do what I do and keep the yarn bowl as an ornament and use it on the rare occasions you are working with balls.

lixy Sat 16-Dec-23 10:41:07

During the night it occurred to me that there needs to be enough room in the bowl for the yarn to move around a bit so it can unwind. If you use a chunky yarn you will need a bigger bowl. Just something to bear in mind...!

Fairycakes Sat 16-Dec-23 10:44:11

Doodledog,
I do have the odd ball of yarn floating around in my stash that I could use 😁👍

Doodledog Sat 16-Dec-23 14:25:03

Fairycakes

*Doodledog*,
I do have the odd ball of yarn floating around in my stash that I could use 😁👍

Excellent! You can rely on me to enable knitting-related purchases grin

welbeck Sat 16-Dec-23 14:49:24

i glanced at the title and thought someone was trying to buy a barn owl,
and i wondered about the legal implications.
life becomes more baffling . . .