Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Our Shed -- Private - Keep Out !!!!

(110 Posts)
tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 14:17:44

As we GD's have not yet got our own shed as a topic, I thought I would build a temporary one, you know the sort of thing, few old doors, bit of fencing and rusty corrugated iron for the roof.

This is the place for idle chit chat over a beer or two.

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 17:22:14

I dont want a shed now.
I think its good to work towards being accepted back into the comfort of the house for an equal share.
Sheds are good places to keep garden things and hammering things, but they dont make a home.
Once playing about with mud and nails wears off, then the warm home is the place to be.

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 17:30:10

Reversal of roles: I have a friend who has a shed for creative writing and thinking in the garden of her partner's flat, to get away from his computers and gadgets and such.

merlotgran Mon 08-Oct-12 19:31:26

My DH's take on being accepted back into the comfort of the house is staying in his shed late into the afternoon until he sees smoke emerging from the chimney.

It's also the place where he hides when Tesco deliver the groceries. He usually returns to the comfort of the house when the beer in the fridge has had time to cool down.

Grannylin Mon 08-Oct-12 20:11:38

merlotgran grin

DerekB Sat 17-Nov-12 11:41:43

I bought a real wooden shed a few years ago, fitted it out with shelves, etc but I can't get into it as my OH has filled it with garden tools, spare furniture, etc. sad

So my real shed is the back bedroom. Nice and warm with my computers, model making stuff and all sorts of "things" that are invaluable, but never get used and can't part with.

Oh yes, I remember Meccano, I taught myself engineering with that, made a working printing press and loads of prototype machines. Strangely I ended up becoming an electronics engineer but the days of Meccano still stir memories and I can cobble together various things when needed and can mend lots of stuff that others would throw away.

As to letting the female breed into the shed, I'm all in favour of it. Two of the best workers I've had were women and they were much better at their jobs than the men.

My daughters are wizard DIY'ers. The youngest one's husband is a total numpty with anything practical. (Couldn't trust him to bang in a nail without destroying the wall, the hammer and probably end up in casualty)wink

Ana Sat 17-Nov-12 11:57:13

Good for your daughters, Derek! I wish my own was a bit more capable in that direction, but she never showed any interest...

jeni Sat 17-Nov-12 12:56:17

Mine practically built a house! She couldn't master plastering, but everything else!

Ana Sat 17-Nov-12 13:01:23

Well done that woman! (I would say well done to anyone who'd achieved that, actually!)

Butty Sat 17-Nov-12 13:03:44

Daman - If you're still around or just lurking, I've just taken a peek at your profile and have fallen for the wonderfully woven willow basket swing/chair. Lovely.