Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Old adverts

(90 Posts)
Annika Thu 13-Oct-11 16:31:48

Hubby was looking on the web at old 50s and60s adverts , he found a few old gems. Who can remember the esso blue man, or roundtrees fruit gums with "don't forget the fruit gums mum", and not to forget "go to work on an egg ". smile

Elegran Fri 14-Oct-11 15:17:00

An Edinburgh student revue in about 1960 had fake adverts in the interval, including one which went
"Drink gin and Byprox
Drink gin and Byprox
Drink gin and Byprox
for a clean taste in your mouth" sung to the tune of "Frigging in the rigging"

(Byprox was a popular brand of bleach)

Bunch Fri 14-Oct-11 15:33:03

Anyone remember Consulate, menthol ciggs ...... cool as a mountain stream according to the ad ..... Not quite sure how that one worked made me cough something awful.

Sbagran Fri 14-Oct-11 16:43:38

Snailspeak how I agree with you re 'go compare' and we would add the "You know the one, you buy one you get one free" windows ad. Thank goodness someone invented the mute button! Our mute button virtually operates itself now, we have zapped it so often when they come on!
Have to disagree re the meerkats though - try looking at the other meerkats rather than just Alexandre who is doing the talking - some of their expressions are priceless!
Loved the Smash martians and does anyone remember the little Morrisons boy with the 'adult' voice over? Was never the same when they introduced the little girl but she was cute!

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 17:10:57

I had to google "Frigging in the rigging" Elegran. That one completely passed me by! grin

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 17:14:23

Annobel - watch this till Jasper Carrot comes on. grin www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNj8cgnz6OU

granto7 Fri 14-Oct-11 17:55:25

PAL prolongs active life
and A mars a day helps you work rest and play
Off to the supermarket to buy both !!!!!!!

Elegran Fri 14-Oct-11 18:11:24

jinglej I'm surprised it was Googleable. I'd forgotten that the proper (improper?) title was "The good ship Venus"

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 18:52:05

There is a version with the muppets on You Tube.

I'd better not link to it though. blush

cryssie Sat 15-Oct-11 17:18:58

I know it's not very old but I like the smash adverts.. For mash get smash

Ariadne Sun 16-Oct-11 12:21:47

My OG went onto the meerkat website, and says it's a brilliant piece of marketing. He's usually such a sceptic, but chuckles away at that ad. Ah well...

Gibbs tooth stuff was in a tin, and there was a White ivory castle on it, which had to be defended from the Giant Decay. But it tasted like soap!

writeaway Sun 16-Oct-11 15:41:23

"This is the carpet YOU can afford, with Cyril Lord!"

"Beanz Meanz Heinz" of course!

for Billy Cotton's Bandshow the slogan cry was: "WAKEY-WAKEY!"

"Gor-Ray skirts one better"

"Raelbrook Toplim, the shirt you don't have to iron."

"Sleep Sweeter, Bournvita"

"Dick Barton - Special Agent!"

Annika Sun 16-Oct-11 19:02:44

do have a dubonnet wine

glammanana Sun 16-Oct-11 19:45:48

Maynard's Wine Gums Set The Moose Loose About This Hoose,sang with the dancing bagpipe's is the best for year's I think.
The Fry's Turkish Delight advert with the handsome shiekblush

Annika Sun 16-Oct-11 22:51:17

Lord Rockingham´s XI - Hoots Mon was the music used on the wine gum ad makes you want to get up and dance.
I have to say I rate Turkish Delight the same as marmite.... I hate it grin

glammanana Sun 16-Oct-11 23:13:26

Annika was more taken with the handsome shiek wink

Jacey Sun 16-Oct-11 23:14:33

And who says advertising doesn't pay!! All of you remember so many childhood jingles!! smile

syberia Tue 18-Oct-11 10:00:40

The Milky Bars are on me!

Annobel Tue 18-Oct-11 10:10:49

Fry's Turkish Delight - full of Eastern promise!

harrigran Tue 18-Oct-11 10:54:43

Murray mints, too good to hurry mints !

nannysgetpaid Tue 18-Oct-11 11:40:28

Nuts, whole hazelnuts, Cadburys make them and they cover them with chocolate or something like that smile

GingerSilk Tue 18-Oct-11 15:27:37

'A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat

A finger of fudge is just enough until it's time to eat

It's full of cadbury goodness and very nice to eat

A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat.'

No, actually, I don't like fingers of fudge. But that jingle has somehow stuck in my head these many decades. Might not be word perfect.

GingerSilk Tue 18-Oct-11 15:32:11

Correction to line 3 '...and very small and neat' (?). Just came to me as I was throwing stuff in the tumble dryer.

jinglej Tue 18-Oct-11 16:29:06

Like it does! grin

I love 'em. smile

GingerSilk Tue 18-Oct-11 17:02:48

Strange how the brain works, when it does, of course.

We had trouble with the hob in our holiday cottage this year. Could not get it to work. Husband sits bolt upright in bed at three in the morning 'i've got it', scurried downstairs and fixed it.

eGJ Wed 19-Oct-11 21:45:01

Phillp Harben leads the cheering "Welcome back to Trex" That was when fats came off rationing!!