Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

moving on after bereavement

(363 Posts)
ladybird9 Wed 04-Apr-12 22:46:24

I realise that there must be so many widows out there, me being one of them, I find life so difficult without him, although we had our differences, marriage is an institution after so many years together. Any advice as to how to move on successfully. I have moved from one county to another in an attempt to change my outlook, still trying......... down days, up days, !!!!!
Not being a member of Gransnet too long, I feel that because it is an indiscreet way of airing my thoughts I can do so without anyone knowing who I am, is this strange ???? would really appreciate acknowledgement and your views on the bereavement issue.

glassortwo Fri 20-Jul-12 20:36:29

blackbird I am in Newcastle so not too far from you.

Elegran Fri 20-Jul-12 21:29:37

blackbird Cruse is a widows club. i know very little about it, but I believe it is very good.

blackbird Sat 21-Jul-12 19:02:44

how do you get in touch with cruse it sounds ideal it would help me to make new friends.My husband was disabled with arthiritis and most of my friends fell away until there was only the two of us

JessM Sat 21-Jul-12 19:20:01

They have a website:

www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/

With local branches. I hope that you will get in touch with them soon.

blackbird Sat 28-Jul-12 12:39:41

thank you for website have e-mailed them no local groups in northumberland so its back to the beginning fed up with being lonely

Elegran Sat 28-Jul-12 12:50:04

blackbird I googled "Northumberland widows groups" and among the hits was this site -
www.housingcare.org/service/list/s-22-companionship-befriending/l-455-northumberland.aspx

and this
www.go4awalk.com/walking-groups-and-new-walking-friends/new-walk-friends.php

and this
www.northumberlandlife.org/alnwickfriends/AboutUs.asp

Have a look and contact them. Until you do, they do not know thatyou need them.

blackbird Thu 02-Aug-12 18:13:43

thank you Elegran am looking into them hope to get news soon

freddie1 Sat 18-Aug-12 14:52:55

i have been on my own now for three years after loosing my husband of 58 years,iam 81ys young ,and have some loverly memories of those years , in the last three years i have cried more than i have laught but its getting better and i am now begining to live a little bit more ( if this is possable ) so chine up , i have just joined a couple of day clubs and they are very helpfull and friendly,i know its easy to tell people to cheere up but please dont look down look up it dose get better and you can smile about the good times you had

soop Sat 18-Aug-12 15:44:25

freddie1 Gransnet needs troopers such as you. smile wine cupcake flowers

bikergran Sat 18-Aug-12 15:51:51

Hi freddie smile

bikergran Sat 18-Aug-12 15:52:31

whoops forgot the 1 do appologise smile

granniemamma Sat 18-Aug-12 16:01:11

Take a day at a time and dont expect too much from yourself. I lost my husband suddenly, he went to work had a massive heart attack and never came home - he was 47. I had lost my father only 3 months before that. My whole world turned upside down and I never thought I could continue on without him. The hardest things were doing things on my own that we had always done together e.g. holidays, christmas, family birthdays and so on. My grown up children were a godsend and I found solace in my memories though it did take hell of a while to laugh again. I felt like I was stood on the outside of the world looking in on other people that had a life and that I didnt have one anymore. Things do get better in time but it is a slow process with good and bad days. Anytime you want to talk let it all out. I am new to GN and was surprised and touched at the comments you have had. There are people here showing genuine kindness and empathy. Chin up we are all here for you and am sending you a loving hug.

Barrow Sat 18-Aug-12 16:16:11

Just noticed this thread - on Wednesday it will be a year since I lost the love of my life. I still find it hard to accept. Everyone is very kind and I put on a "front" whenever I am with someone. I try to be positive, thinking of all the good times we had - but sometimes it is overwhelming.

soop Sat 18-Aug-12 16:41:16

Barrow I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Your memories of the good times are evergreen. flowers

kittylester Sat 18-Aug-12 16:50:51

Barrow Freddie and everyone else who has lost their loves flowers

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 17:06:29

barrowjust atip, go and do something on Wednesday! Don't sit and mope!

Sook Sat 18-Aug-12 17:43:07

flowers to all of you who have lost the love of your life

granniemamma Sat 18-Aug-12 19:36:09

Freddie1 After all that time you must have some lovely memories and also great stories to tell. flowers

glassortwo Sat 18-Aug-12 19:45:40

flowers for you all.

helshea Wed 26-Sep-12 18:39:38

Miss you Dad

Greatnan Wed 26-Sep-12 18:50:32

I will never have to grieve for the loss of my soul-mate, or the love of my life, because I have never had one. I fear I will eventually have to grieve for the loss of my daughter if she continues her drug abuse. Loss is the price you pay for loving. Those of you who have lost partners after very long and happy relationships must be devastated, but you must have many good memories.
I don't much like the expression 'moving on' - it seems to imply that you are leaving something behind, whereas I think you are probably just surviving from day to day until a new rhythm of life becomes established.

helshea Wed 26-Sep-12 18:56:05

Oh dear Greatnan you had me in tears then - so touching though!

Greatnan Wed 26-Sep-12 19:15:28

Thank you, helshea. It is my own fault that I never found the right partner - I was looking for Mr. 100% so I turned down an awful lot of Mr. 99%s.

helshea Wed 26-Sep-12 19:17:58

There is nothing wrong with going for 100%

annodomini Wed 26-Sep-12 19:25:26

Even so, Mr Right can eventually turn into Mr Wrong.