Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

moving on after bereavement

(363 Posts)
ladybird9 Wed 04-Apr-12 22:46:24

I realise that there must be so many widows out there, me being one of them, I find life so difficult without him, although we had our differences, marriage is an institution after so many years together. Any advice as to how to move on successfully. I have moved from one county to another in an attempt to change my outlook, still trying......... down days, up days, !!!!!
Not being a member of Gransnet too long, I feel that because it is an indiscreet way of airing my thoughts I can do so without anyone knowing who I am, is this strange ???? would really appreciate acknowledgement and your views on the bereavement issue.

annodomini Tue 13-Nov-12 19:50:48

Gally (((((big hug))))) x

Nanadog Tue 13-Nov-12 20:17:40

I know those moments gally, as mishap said, hang on in there.

Fondasharing Wed 14-Nov-12 07:00:35

As I have been up since 04.00 this morning, I have just read all the 15 pages and have been so moved by the messages, song and poems. I have also been "away" from Gransnet for some months.

I am very lucky because I still have my husband and both my parents.

So now, this has made me so determined to make the very most of them all. I am my husband's carer and sometimes I do feel resentful, as if he is a "burden"....but I also know that he is the centre of my world and our family and i must try harder to just enjoy what time we have together. And as far as my Mum goes "who will I call when it is time to plant the geraniums?".

Thank you everybody for sharing......it is so worthwhile and so inspiring.

Ella46 Wed 14-Nov-12 07:33:55

flowers to all of you who are grieving, we are still listening, so keep on letting it out. (((hugs)))

sunshine

kittylester Wed 14-Nov-12 07:42:18

Well said Ella

flowers to everyone who is hurting.

london Wed 14-Nov-12 09:08:34

fondasharing it is hard looking after some one 24/7 a no just like a lot of other ladies on hear 'and like you i did some time think why me 'but i would love to do it all over again ,thanks ella

Jendurham Wed 14-Nov-12 10:20:18

Whenever someone said to Ken, "Why you?" he would always say why not.
Whatever was wrong with him, he would never wish on anyone else.

soop Wed 14-Nov-12 11:42:13

Fondasharing flowers

Jendurham Tue 20-Nov-12 15:12:04

I have just had a phone call from a company saying they are working on behalf of the DWP.
They asked to speak to Mr or Mrs ......
I called her a liar, because if she was working for the DWP, then she would know that Ken died this year. She then carried on trying to talk to me, obviously not realising.

I then called her stupid as well as a liar, and put the phone down.

Just warning you in case you get any phone calls from this company, whose name I have forgotten. I know they are just doing a job, but really...

Jendurham Tue 20-Nov-12 18:44:57

My five year old granddaughter had diarrhoea yesterday.
I actually got upset while I was clearing her up, because it's the first time I've had to do it this year. I used to have to clear up quite a lot after Ken, when he could no longer do it for himself.

Nonu Tue 20-Nov-12 19:23:21

Jend xxxxxxxxxxx

Retrolady Mon 14-Dec-15 12:10:35

I'm hoping someone out there can help sort me out - my mum died two years ago, having had dementia. The last year of her life was pure hell, for her, for us as she had the worst possible manifestation of that awful illness. She was sectioned for 7 months as she was a danger to herself and others.
Having said all that, when she died, although I was obviously very sad, it's only now, when things are calmer - wills etc... have all been sorted out. I have started volunteering with the Alzheimer's Society which is great and helps to put back some of the wonderful support we had from them. But .... I now feel very upset about my mum's last few years, especially now I know how much better it could have been, if I'd known what help there was out there for her. I wake up crying, feel very depressed, can't be bothered to do much at all - is this normal? I'm already on anti-depressants and have been since she was ill, so I can't do much medically. I really feel I should be over it by now. We inherited a reasonable amount, so no money worries, no family worries etc.... it really doesn't make sense that I feel so raw.