Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Coming to terms with an absent son

(127 Posts)
tanith Sat 14-Jul-12 16:18:59

It was my son's 35th birthday the other day, he lives and works abroad , he posted some pics of his birthday lunch with his friends , they bought him a Hello Kitty cake with one candle and they look like they are having such a good time eating Al Fresco in the sunshine it suddenly struck me that its always going to be like that now , his life is elsewhere all the important things in his life will be enjoyed with others and not with us his family...
He has met a girl out there and they just bought an apartment to renovate and the usual invitations to come and visit have been made but I'm finding it so difficult to let go and come to terms with the back seat I'm now having to take.. he's never coming home to England he tells me so thats it my son is gone.. well thats how it feels.

I feel so ridiculous but its like he's abandoned us and I feel very very sad. I have my two daughters and lots of grandchildren who all live close by but it feels like he's not part of everyday life anymore and never will be. He hates skype by the way we tried that and it really didn't work, he's not good at answering or acknowledging messages or e-mail either.. and if they get married and have children I won't have a wonderful full on , see them every week relationship with them like the others..

sad sad sad.. I need to snap out of it , accept and find a different way to do things.. . any advice from all you lovely absent grans ...

Kiora Fri 14-Feb-14 14:33:49

I feel the same janerowena. Although those time are becoming less and less My youngest son has some past issues with his sister and I feel very hurt when he makes some derogatory remark about her.