Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anybody got any emotions?

(82 Posts)
Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 15:34:45

Anger, love, peace, acceptance, courageousness, pride, apathy, grief, fear, lust.

List of top level emotions that we have to come to terms with and sort out from time to time.

Do we blokes ever admit to creating these emotions from our feelings?
Do we admit to being in one or more of these conditions?
What helps us back into balanced states? Daman (or Keith)

gracesmum Mon 08-Oct-12 19:58:12

I have started another thread with the same post - so if you are reacting, have a look there!

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 11:29:51

what is pendants corner

gracesmum Sat 15-Dec-12 11:41:23

Do you mean Pedants' Corner, CHEELU? Or have we got a new jewellery thread I was not aware of? grin

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 11:46:40

A very good friend of mine is a Doctor in London and I asked him once, how do you keep your emotions hidden when you have to tell a family bad news, he said that he packages them up inside and saves them til later and when later comes he has had a chance to calm down. He said that a fellow Doctor once told him that if he were to break down and cry along with his patience he would be of no use to them and only add to their misery.

I do happen to agree with that, I know when I am feeling a bit down I would prefer a kick rather than pity, but we are all different and need different things.

Gracemum there is actually a book called Emotional Intelligence that I am presently reading. It explains that in Business it is very important to use Emotional Intelligence, it really is an interesting read.

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 11:53:15

gracenan Sorry did not realise that you would not understand the question

jeni Sat 15-Dec-12 11:59:38

Pedants corner is a thread for people who are particular about English usage!

Ana Sat 15-Dec-12 12:01:38

Sometimes excessively so! wink

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 12:02:43

Thanks jeni, to do with Grammar then?

jeni Sat 15-Dec-12 12:32:47

Basically yes. A profound knowledge of Fowlers English usage is a necessary adjunct to joininggrin

JessM Sat 15-Dec-12 12:53:53

It's somewhere to send them cheelu when they start picking holes in other people's typing grin

jeni Sat 15-Dec-12 13:04:30

Well done JessM correct use of apostrophe!

JessM Sat 15-Dec-12 13:27:08

Wey thenk you may dear. grin

Jodi Sat 15-Dec-12 13:46:43

Best place for some of them too!! wink

Nelliemoser Sat 15-Dec-12 14:50:15

In another recent post. I had to resort to looking up the word embarrassed to check which were double consonants. I so don't get; (go for me on that expression, pedants!) double consonants.

I would not want the shame of having my name mentioned on a pedants corner thread. wink grin

Ana Sat 15-Dec-12 15:17:30

People don't actually get sent there. They actually choose to go there...grin

Ana Sat 15-Dec-12 15:18:43

Hmm, should have previewed that post. One too many 'actuallys' I think!

JessM Sat 15-Dec-12 15:37:08

Joke ana as in smile

Ana Sat 15-Dec-12 15:40:22

Er, yes, I realised that, Jess. Mine was supposed to be, too. hmm

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 20:13:55

I believe that actual comments are far more important than if someone has used the correct Grammer or not...... I don't think being able to spell correctly makes you a better individual. My Father was the kindest nicest person you could ever wish to meet and he was illiterate, what nonsense to think that Grammer maketh the Man or Women.

gracesmum Sat 15-Dec-12 20:35:30

Oops I think that misfired. Sorry CEELU wasn't meaning to be rude. just seemed so funny in the contextblush So now I will take myself off to pedants' corner sad
(Was the comment to gracenanactually meant for me, or am I replying to somebody else's question?)

gracesmum Sat 15-Dec-12 20:53:05

To go back to your comment CEELU, No, I don't think correct grammar, vocabulary or spelling make anybody a better person, but like any other skill, whether driving or cooking, I see nothing wrong with trying to get it right. Accurate communication can also depend on the use of the right word or (sharp intake of breath)even the correct use of comma. One real-life and tragic example of the former was the victimisation a few years ago of a paediatrician in her home, because some people did not know the difference between paediatrician and paedophile. While at a more frivolous level we all know the "joke" about "Let's eat grandma" and "Let's eat, Grandma".

messenger Sat 15-Dec-12 21:28:53

Personally...I`d go for lust Granawink

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 21:44:17

Dear gracemum you pull me up on my Grammer then spell my username wrong!!!! I dont like were these conversations are heading because its looking alot like a playground to me, so I will gracefully pull out.. and I think we should agree to dis agree..

annodomini Sat 15-Dec-12 21:54:16

Cheelu, I'm as pedantic as they come and was the kind of kid who actually enjoyed grammar and spelling. It won't come as a surprise to you that I ended up as an English teacher. However, I also know that other people have different talents and I know that you have made some very profound and valuable comments on other threads and that you are just as much part of G'net as any of us pedants.

Ana Sat 15-Dec-12 21:55:48

Cheelu, I do hope you don't mean you're leaving Gransnet completely.
I'm sure gracesmum didn't mean to be deliberately unkind, but it may have come across that way. You don't need an English degree (or any other!) to be a valuable member of Gransnet. smile