Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which wet-shave razor is best?! Sooooo many of them!

(33 Posts)
isthisallthereis Mon 29-Oct-12 20:55:30

Which is the best wet-shave razor to advise a young (teenage) lad to use? There seem to be so many when I went into Boots today.

Four-bladed Gillette Quatros, or a multi-bladed Wilkinson Sword very similar but substantially more expensive! And they're all designed to look like flying spaceships! I am totally confused by it all. He seems determined to go for wet shaving not an electric shaver.

Am I just being cynical but do all the razors seem artificially cheap (under £10 to be followed by very expensive purchases of blades from here to eternity.

He doesn't like the idea of an electric razor. The men in his family are all swarthy so I guess he wants to get something efficient and reliable, but not over-expensive, that he can stick with over the years to come.

Marelli Mon 29-Oct-12 21:05:10

DH is also swarthy, and swears by Gillette Fusion blades. Unfortunately, they can cost about £9 for 4, but they do last for ages.

glassortwo Mon 29-Oct-12 21:27:11

isthis my FIL uses Gillette Quatros but we seem to have a problem every so often when I get his shopping and are unable to get them, so I have got him a razor from Aldi that comes with blades and they also sell the packs of replacement blades for a fraction of the cost and he seems to think its as good as the Gillette.

Anne58 Mon 29-Oct-12 23:06:05

Mr P has tried all sorts, but reckons the disposable ones sold in Lidl give him the best shave.

isthisallthereis Tue 30-Oct-12 06:57:32

This is very helpful. I'd almost bought him a Gillette Fusion but I suddenly stared at the profusion of choices plus the price suddenly seemed enormous when you think of all those expensive replacement blades to be bought! Didn't realise that some blades last much longer than others.

The Aldi/Lidl suggestions I'll look at carefully. Lidl less easy to get to for me but I'll give it my best shot. At least the choice is likely to be far simpler there!

He doesn't seem at all keen on an electric or battery razor. Maybe they don't give as good a result as a wet shave.

Frankel Tue 30-Oct-12 08:33:45

I've used a simple razor with Gillette G II Plus blades for as long as I can remember. With an inexpensive shaving foam, they work well for me. Packs of 10 blades cost £7.99 on the net from Boots and I avoid expensive gels - actually, soap would do. The throw-away version works equally well on holiday. Of course, for a teenager, style may play a bigger part than for a Grandad. Like the young man in question, I was never drawn to an electric shaver, even though they were the 'thing' when I was at his age.

feetlebaum Tue 30-Oct-12 08:58:28

I use Wilkinson Sword at the moment, but have had good service from Gillette in the past. My current one has a battery driven trimmer in the handle - nice for controlling the sideburns!

In my RAF days (1956-1959) I used an electric shaver for convenience, but was happy to return to the blade,once back in civilization...

isthisallthereis Tue 30-Oct-12 11:55:04

No he doesn't seem interested in an electric shaver, says all his friends wet-shave. They seem pretty fastidious about it too, his horror is a patchy shave, he says he won't go out unless he's looking "well-shaved". Interestingly, he and his peer group seem to have very little acne or "zits" compared with the lads I know 50 years ago!

I don't know if they use better products on their faces (ie not soap!) or if it's better diet. Can't be more fresh air, most of his circle seem allergic to it!

mudskipper Fri 16-Nov-12 22:34:52

'Best' is impossible to answer.
'Most interesting' is easier - it's the cut-throat.

jO5 Fri 16-Nov-12 22:39:43

Swarthy is good. encourage this?

isthisallthereis Sun 18-Nov-12 18:59:29

Sorry I think swarthy is horrid! Why do so many younger guys not bother to shave? They look much better clean shaven imho. And wearing a suit, and with polished shoes, but don't get me started smile I'll just start by saying - please guys get a proper shave. Daily, or even better twice daily. There, I feel better now smile

tgr293 Mon 26-Nov-12 12:39:53

If he is young his beard probably isn't that strong yet so the cheaper razors should suffice until he can decide for himself later. As a grandad I use an expensive electric razor which over the year is cheaper as you do not have to keep buying expensive razor replacements

However every so often I us a wet razor to clean up the longer hairs on the neck and all i use is the cheap disposables available in most supermarkets often 10 for a £1

mrsmopp Wed 12-Dec-12 23:25:33

I agree - hate the unshaven look. Designer stubble they called it; what tosh!
It looks as if they've been sleeping rough! Not still in fashion is it? Along with low slung jeans that look as if they are falling down!
I must be getting old........

artygran Thu 13-Dec-12 07:52:42

If he likes a wet shave, perhaps a wet and dry electric razor is the answer. I bought one for DH got his birthday - a Phillips, but Braun do one. He was using Gillette blades, but got a bit fed up with the expense of having to keep buying them. He can use his new razor dry, or with shaving gel, or in the shower and is very pleased with it. He had an electric shaver years ago, but says this is much better. And I'm with you all the way, mrsmopp!

isthisallthereis Fri 14-Dec-12 11:52:34

Hiya artygran I've never heard of this wet and dry thing. If yr DH gives it a tick of approval though, it must be OK. Which of these is it (there seems to be almost as much choice as there is for ordinary manual razors)??

www.philips.co.uk/c/shaving-aquatouch/286682/cat/#filterState0=SHAVING_AQUATOUCH_SU_GB_CONSUMER%3Dtrue

PS how can one of these electric razors possibly cost £200!

I haven't even dared look at the Brauns, I've always thought of them as even more expensive. I'm passing info on to him, but this wet and dry is a new one smile

feetlebaum Fri 14-Dec-12 11:58:00

In my advertising days - many long years ago - it was impressed on us that the correct term was 'electric shaver', not razor. (We advertised Remington shavers)

artygran Fri 14-Dec-12 14:25:34

The Phillips Aquatouch wet n dry shaver - cost me around £55. He loves the fact that when he's finished with it, he can wash the blades under the hot tap, instead of having to poke around with a little brush and spray cleaner like he did with his old one. I looked long and hard at revues for both the Phillips and the Braun before I bought it. I'd advise anyone to do the same.

aitcht Sat 04-May-13 11:10:32

I've tried many razors over a long period of time and find the best ive ever used is the Gillette fusion power blade.It gives a very smooth shave and i seldom cut myself with it.

Kit45 Mon 25-May-15 15:38:14

I’d recommend Karmin! :p

pompa Mon 25-May-15 15:43:06

Only ever use an electric,much prefer the Philishaves. Tried a braun once, he foil split and took a layer off my face very sore and a lot of blood.
I normally pay around £60, not sure what you get for £200.

loopylou Mon 25-May-15 17:17:40

DS wanted a cut throat razor in his early 20's, so I bought him a lesson in using one. I think he mastered it quite quickly but the fad didn't last (I had awful images of a DIY Sweeney Todd)

DH uses cheap disposables, DS Gillette disposable razors.

vampirequeen Mon 25-May-15 17:19:44

DH is swarthy and tbh the only way he can avoid designer stubble is to shave at least twice a day but that's OK because I find it quite attractive. I like manhair (maybe a little to much sharing of info there hmm grin)

He uses either Wilkinson Sword or Gillette disposables depending which is on special offer. He also has a wet/dry electric shaver which he uses between wet shaves if necessary or when a perfect shave isn't necessary. He finds a good quality gel helps deal with the extra coarseness and strength his whiskers seem to have and also moisturises (Oil of Olay atm) as he finds that also helps soften the whiskers as well as look after his skin.

rubylady Mon 25-May-15 22:12:29

I bought my son the rollerball, Gillette fusion rollerball. He said it was a good shave until I sent him back upstairs to get the bits he had missed. But then he looked really smooth when he came back downstairs, he's not looked like that for a while. I do think that even young lads want to try to experiment with shaving and have a photo of my son's first shaving experience. This shaver is on offer at the moment at Tesco for £8.00. smile

vancilwa Sun 27-Aug-17 09:17:23

Great thread.

MawBroon Sun 27-Aug-17 09:18:19

Really?
Dormant for the last two years confused