Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How are you feeling today

(124 Posts)
Jadey Thu 07-Mar-13 13:56:16

Happy, quite settled and just a little stressed due to family demands.

kamagra1uk Wed 04-Feb-15 09:09:56

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Nelliemoser Mon 11-Mar-13 23:27:08

When my children were small and had really bad stuffy colds the then GP used to suggest childrens ?Sudofed (pseudoephedrine.) It really seemed to make my two very *depressed". They would wake in the most foul moods. It turned them from happy calm kids into screaming monsters. I believe such effects are documented. Some of this over the counter stuff is very powerful and best left behind the counter.

Galen Mon 11-Mar-13 22:49:45

In my prayers now.

Jadey Mon 11-Mar-13 22:42:28

Thank you for your kind wishes, I pray for my grandson and know that my FIL is happy now and on his way to Heaven.

Today I feel a little stressed but also feel content.

PS I know its a big ask but can I ask for a mention in your prayers for my Grandson, thank you so much. x

glassortwo Mon 11-Mar-13 21:08:36

grannya I am getting there, hope your honey is doing the trick and you are feeling better too. flowers

grannyactivist Mon 11-Mar-13 12:50:19

glass hope you're feeling better now.
Jadey so sorry to hear of your loss. I adore my own father in law and would be devastated. flowers
Galen horrible to be feeling so down. flowers

Bags Mon 11-Mar-13 12:26:58

tegan, for really superior herbals teas, I recommend trying Teapigs.

Tegan Mon 11-Mar-13 09:45:24

It's funny how coffee doesn't call to you in the same way when it's sans caffeine. I do allow myself one cup a day but try to stick to decaff tea the rest of the time, along with herbal tea which I've never really liked but have found some nice ones at Holland and Barrett recently. When I had my really bad cough a few years back I realised afterwards I was taking several over the counter medicines that were having opposite effects on me [realised then how much damage people can do by self medicating].

annodomini Mon 11-Mar-13 09:36:27

I used to take a decongestant containing pseudoephedrine but eventually found that they caused palpitations and breathlessness. Now I look very carefully at the contents of over-the-counter drugs. Caffeine is also contra-indicated for me. Sad, because I used to like coffee and still love the aroma.

Tegan Mon 11-Mar-13 09:32:50

I used to take Benylin years ago [well, still do sometimes] and couldn't understand why, when I was feeling better the bottle still called to me, until I understood more about the contents. A lot of Nurofen products contain quite potent ingredients [in fact, if I'm going to have a busy day but am feeling tired I take those tablets containing pseudoephedrine, which is a stimulant]. Once took some late at night when I had a cold and was awake half the night.

Bags Mon 11-Mar-13 08:31:57

Anything taken in excess can cause insidious damage, even water.

Bags Mon 11-Mar-13 07:41:33

I believe you, gn. I was just remarking that nowadays the products you mention don't contain codiene. I was not aware that they might have done once, so I have learned something.

Greatnan Mon 11-Mar-13 07:35:07

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/Safetywarningsalertsandrecalls/Safetywarningsandmessagesformedicines/CON096796

I was on one expat forum where people were exchanging information about various sleeping pills. When I pointed out the danger of addiction, I was met with the usual anger, denial and hostility. Believe me, I know the damage which can be done and it is very insidious.

Bags Mon 11-Mar-13 07:33:15

But that article on wiki had no references or citations so shouldn,t be taken as gospel.

Bags Mon 11-Mar-13 07:32:32

Just queried whether it ever contained codiene on google. This is what came up:

"Benylin is a brand name owned by Johnson & Johnson for a range of cough, cold and flu medications. Some Benylin products also contain Codeine which many adults and youth take for the effects known for codeine intake."

That might explain why your daughter used it, gn.

Bags Mon 11-Mar-13 07:29:48

But if she wanted something to make her sleep, high dose anti-histamines might well have that effect.

Bags Mon 11-Mar-13 07:28:51

It's certainly not something to mix with codiene too readily.

Greatnan Mon 11-Mar-13 07:26:37

I don't know if the formula has been changed, but my addicted daughter would certainly not have been 'wasting' her money on products that did not contain codeine or something similar. I know there was a move to take out the codeine - perhaps that has taken place.
I googled Nytol to prove to her how dangerous it was and printed off several pages about it.

JessM Mon 11-Mar-13 07:19:35

I think Benylin used to be a stronger brew than it is today bags.

Ariadne Mon 11-Mar-13 06:59:56

Jadey tough times for you; keep strong, because you are clearly a tower of strength to those closest to you. Take care of yourself too, though! flowers

Bags Mon 11-Mar-13 06:21:10

gn, the active ingredient of those two things you mention is an anti-histamine. They don't contain codiene.

Greatnan Mon 11-Mar-13 05:35:52

Please be careful if you use anything to help you sleep - products containing codeine are very addictive - my daughter used to drink bottles of Benyllin and sometime took a whole packet of Nytol in one day.

Gally Mon 11-Mar-13 02:56:24

Jadey flowers

shysal Sun 10-Mar-13 22:54:15

Jadey, only just caught up with this thread, so sorry you are having such a hard time. My thoughts are with you and yours. flowers

harrigran Sun 10-Mar-13 22:34:46

Half a cupcake, that's not right cupcake cupcake