Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Beards on men.

(46 Posts)
berdie Mon 07-Oct-13 11:05:57

I have just recently grown a beard, and have had a mixed reaction from the ladies in my life. So may I throw this subject open to my friends on GN, and ask the question, beards or no beards ?, and reasons why.wink

shysal Mon 07-Oct-13 17:00:59

Stubble - scruffy.
Beard - aging.
Ugh! I wouldn't fancy touching either!

simtib Mon 07-Oct-13 18:06:09

I have had a beard all my life and would never dream of shaving it off. It grows naturally. I tend to prefer the natural look and dislike tattoos, piercings, make up or hair dye and find it very rare that mankind can improve on the beauty of nature.

Lona Mon 07-Oct-13 18:31:42

You've obviously not seen me first thing in the morning simtib!

LizG Mon 07-Oct-13 18:54:14

My OH is five years older than me but always looked younger until he grew a beard. I loved that beard (they are actually quite soft) then he shaved it off and looks younger than me again - not fair.

Polycystic ovaries causes women to grow beards.

kittylester Mon 07-Oct-13 18:54:52

I love the feel of my bearded one! blush

simtib Mon 07-Oct-13 19:08:02

Lona, just smile and I am sure you will look perfect.

annodomini Mon 07-Oct-13 19:49:41

All your life, simtib? hmm

bikergran Mon 07-Oct-13 20:32:19

the natural look grin that's me smile no piercings (yet) no make up never dyed my hair (yet) no tattoos (once had a stick on one from GS think it was a skull n crossbones confused and still got my own teeth!

Granny23 Mon 07-Oct-13 21:11:27

Funnily enough DGD2 raised the subject of beards this very a.m. Both her Grandpas, Her Dad and his brother and her only other Uncle (DD2's new DH) are bearded. She was telling me a long story about her brother (6) drawing beards on pictures of himself to see which type he would grow when he was a man. She had declined his invitation to draw beards on her own picture, telling him in no uncertain terms that when she grew up she was going to be A LADY. Before I could respond she confided, in a whisper, "I suppose I will have to shave". grin

PS DD1 tells me that the female equivalent of Movember is Fanuary shock

simtib Mon 07-Oct-13 21:24:38

annodomini Well for as long as I have been able to grow one. I had a soft down when I was 16 and thought I would try and shave. My chin felt sore afterwards and as no one noticed anyway I gave up the idea. By the time I got to about 24 people started to ask me if I was trying to grow a beard, with the emphasis on trying. That is the problem with fine fair hair, beards don't really show up.

bikergran you don't need make up, just leathers and a Vincent Black Shadow, so you can ride in style.

Deedaa Mon 07-Oct-13 22:57:39

It rather depends on the man. on the whole I'm not keen, but some are very attractive. The chap on the Great British Sewing Bee really won me over!

FlicketyB Tue 08-Oct-13 09:38:30

DH, being a marine type, although not navy, had a beard off and on throughout his 20s and then went clean shaven in his 30s, and then did the reverse of Feetlebaum regrew one for an operatic performance, Princess Ida, I think.

The children and I agreed to this on the condition it came off as soon as the show was over, but when the beard appeared we all liked it so much we told him to keep it, which he did. A few years later he had to shave for a operatic performance - and we all hated the unshaven look so as soon as the show was over he regrew it and has had one ever since.

DS has a beard because, like me, he has very sensitive skin and shaving left his skin red and raw. He tried all sorts of different shaving creams, oils etc and razors but without effect so by his mid 20s he had decided a beard was the way forward, although it is closer to designer stubble than DH's carefully kempt beard.

Penstemmon Tue 08-Oct-13 09:50:20

I quite like beards..DH has had one for years now and looks 100% better with than without. It is a bit straggley and odd a bit like
4.bp.blogspot.com/-96co_T8iuec/T1MkfDZHIXI/AAAAAAAAFBo/sJYXYL7uLuc/s1600/Scooby+MI_Shaggy_Head+Shot_w+BG.jpg

In fact he looks a lot like Shaggy altogether nor i come to think about it confused!

NfkDumpling Tue 08-Oct-13 13:10:54

DH stopped shaving when he retired - got rid of all but two suits (one for weddings, one for funerals) and nearly all his ties. He keeps the beard short to stop me nagging as his ambition is to look like ZZ Top!

Galen Tue 08-Oct-13 13:54:43

Mine stopped shaving when we bought our (small) yacht.
I loved his beard, it tickled!

grannyactivist Tue 08-Oct-13 15:07:15

No beard - looks awful. But he does have a splendid twirly moustache that causes people to smile when they see it. Our sons' friends (in their early twenties) think that his moustache makes him a 'legend' and complete strangers have been known to stop him and ask for photographs with him. I've put a photo up on my profile.

NfkDumpling Tue 08-Oct-13 15:47:25

Wow, that's a magnificent tash!

Hunt Tue 08-Oct-13 15:51:12

When we returned from our honeymoon my OH had to go into hospital for a rest (he had ankylosing spondilitis) He grew a moustache while he was in the hospital for a fortnight. 9 days after he was let home I said to him,''Oh, you've shaved your moustache off!'' He replied, ''I shaved it off before I came home!'' 9 whole days and I hadn't noticed!

susieb755 Tue 08-Oct-13 19:47:07

My DH grew a beard once in the 90's - he looked like a guerrilla fighter from the USSR , so shaved it off

liminetta Sat 12-Oct-13 08:06:12

my DH has had a mustache since he was 30.He looks very handsome with it (as both grandaughters agree; but now he is much older and whiter! it matches his hair colour.