Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

De Motivated

(36 Posts)
cathybee Fri 14-Feb-14 15:33:28

Hi everyone, I am new on Gransnet and looking for a little help. My husband has had to retire early due to ill health. I currently am looking for work, but I am feeling extremely un motivated, down and stuck in a rut.

My husband doing absolutely nothing all day, except watching TV is driving me crazy. I can not see a way out of this situation at present and is a pretty dark place to be.

I am hoping for a little outsider looking in perspective.smile

KatyK Sat 15-Feb-14 10:39:20

Rowantree - Yes it is a shame that most of the National Trust properties are only accessible by car. DH is fortunate that the one he works at is only a 15 minute bus ride away. He has always loved history so it is ideal for him. I'm not sure how he would have fared without it to be honest.

cathybee Sat 15-Feb-14 16:22:25

Dear Diary--This is what it feels like speaking on Gransnet, only much better, as this Diary talks back! smile

For the past few days I have been doing much deliberating about the situation that I now find myself in, and have decided that it would be a good idea to start up a cleaning company..(to help make up for my DH lost income)I have researched it and actually spoke to a Dear friend of mine that has run a cleaning company for many years. He has given me lots of good pointers.

It has lifted my spirits and given me a goal to work towards.

Rowantree Sat 15-Feb-14 16:31:31

WOW - that's a sea-change from where you were a few days ago, Cathybee - good for you! That sounds a brilliant idea. Good luck with your plans - keep us posted on progress, and I'm really pleased you're feeling so much more positive smile

bikergran Sat 15-Feb-14 17:13:04

cathbee hi and welcome..I think as others have said there are many of us on here that could write the same post as your first post, I'm sure it has come as a shock to you both and we all have to find our own way around it, it is easy to blame each other and it can make you both resentful of each other, I really hope your "new idea" comes off!! you will be able to choose your own times/clients/holidays etc good luck smile

merlotgran Sat 15-Feb-14 17:16:36

Isn't there a thread about running a cleaning company somewhere?

Elegran Sat 15-Feb-14 17:39:13

You'll be able to get more tips from there, Cathy.

Perhaps you could PM the poster directly?

cathybee Sat 15-Feb-14 20:36:00

Would love to speak to them--how do I find the thread, thanks

yogagran Sat 15-Feb-14 20:42:53

Wasn't it something about not being able to recruit staff and the OP was severely critised for offering low pay. Someone else's brain will be more efficient at remembering the thread I'm sure

glammanana Sat 15-Feb-14 20:48:20

Welcome Cathy and well done to you on your decision to find out more about starting your own Company you are never to old to do something like this as I proved 18mths ago when just by chance I did some outside catering for a friend of mine and hey-ho it took off like wild fire,I now have the contract for the Local Council and their monthly meeting and am booked up until July doing wedding/christening/communion buffets so get all the information you can just be sure not to over faze yourself and learn to say no if you cannot fit any inquiry into your working week.best of luck to you & your hubby.

Dragonfly1 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:58:04

The thread is in the Work and Volunteering forum Cathy and is called 'Why is it so difficult to find employees?' Ignore the argy-bargy in the thread, there's probably some genuine good advice in amongst it.