Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Liar liar pants on fire

(34 Posts)
Kiora Wed 19-Feb-14 11:31:40

My daughter is staying with me over the half termsmile and we had a conversation yesterday about lying. We have two relatives who routinely tell quite big lies. We think it's attention seeking, trying to deflect blame for bad behaviour. Some of the lies are huge and yet none of the family challenge these two. Is it because we are embarrassed or we don't want to embarrass them? My husband who was listening tells me men do this a lot but not about such serious issues. Mostly about how much they earn/ success with women that kind of stuff. We agreed that we often embellish stories mostly to make them more interesting. My daughter thinks harmless flirting on a night out is very different from down right lies. So why do we let the big lies go unchallenged are we both cowards by not confronting the lies ?

Kiora Wed 19-Feb-14 22:10:01

grin & little titter

annodomini Wed 19-Feb-14 22:43:53

Nice one, absent! wink

Aka Wed 19-Feb-14 23:00:42

grin

harrigran Wed 19-Feb-14 23:26:14

Many years ago my sister was abroad on holiday and her flight home did not land until after she should have been at work. She got me to call work and say that she was unwell, by the time she arrived home she had indeed become ill. It does not pay to tempt fate.

cathybee Thu 20-Feb-14 13:16:27

gillybob..the someone like him that you know..are they a good person or a bad person?

I have been married a long while and you made me realise something about DH, that maybe he IS just trying to protect me when he lies and tells me things I want to hear, thank you for that, as it did alleviate a lot of anger I had towards him.

gillybob Thu 20-Feb-14 23:18:50

The "someone" I know is a very good person. cathybee

I wouldn't let a few white lies spoil an otherwise good relationship with your DH. Especially if he does it in order to protect your feelings and keep on your good side. smile

Joan Fri 21-Feb-14 12:17:22

I'm useless at fibbing: bad memory for one thing, and I can't control my facial expressions very well. So I stick with evasions or silence.

For instance, if a friend asks if I like her new skirt/hairdo/outfit, and I really hate it, I avoid the issue by saying it's no good asking me 'cos I'm useless at fashion (which I am).

For most things, I just have to be honest and take the consequences. No choice really. People put it down to my Yorkshire outspokenness, sometimes.

Paige Fri 21-Feb-14 12:48:02

Absent I'm curious where you found that information about Wyatt Earp? hmm