Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

estranged father's funeral

(33 Posts)
raggymac Sun 11-May-14 23:29:25

I have just heard that my elderly father has suddenly died. I have not seen him since I was a small child when he left my Mother. He tried to keep in contact for a few years but it dwindled out.(We exchanged Christmas cards)
He subsequently married the woman he left my Mother for and they have one daughter who is eighteen years younger than me Last year I tracked her down and we have met once.A year before we met I had tried to re establish contact with my Father but he didn't want to know I suppose I desperately wanted to fill in all the gaps in my childhood memories.
My half sister said that he completely blocked out his previous life and marriage and NEVER discussed it with anyone- in fact it was her Mother who told her of my existence.
She informed me of his death last week and asked if I wanted to come to the funeral My own Mother is in a Nursing Home and has advancing dementia so I cannot discuss it or even tell her.
My thoughts are in turmoil and my own family tells me I should do what seems right
The funeral will be very small (6 or 7 ) so I will be very conspicuous and two or three of the people there do not know of my existence.

Can any of you wise ladies help with my dilemma?

kittylester Mon 12-May-14 11:04:31

What an awful dilemma raggy flowers

It sounds to me as though your half sister is being very thoughtful and is happy for you to go - if you want to.

I think I would go because it might lead to a relationship with your sister which could be good for both of you in the longer term. She might also welcome having you there.

Please let us know what you decide and, if you go, how things were.

glammanana Mon 12-May-14 11:50:58

Such a sad decision raggy flowers I would go if it was me and take the opportunity of a new relationship with your half sister who sounds a very caring person indeed.

raggymac Mon 12-May-14 13:24:26

I have just been visiting my own Mother in her Nursing Home- it was quite sad not be able to tell her about her ex husband's death although it was a rather acrimonious split about sixty years ago. She never remarried and now has dementia

Before my visit to my Mum I phoned my half sister and had a long chat with her about our feelings and she persuaded me that she and her own Mother would be perfectly alright with my presence. I even had a word with her Mother.

Things seem clearer now and at the moment I intend going to the funeral but not the gathering afterwards.

thanks everyone for their kind words flowers

Lona Mon 12-May-14 14:06:43

I'm so pleased for you raggy, it's always good to go forward on a positive note.
Best wishes to you and your newly discovered sibling.

Mishap Mon 12-May-14 14:19:56

So glad that you have been able to make he decision that is right for you.

HollyDaze Mon 12-May-14 14:58:04

I will echo the sentiments of Lona and Mishap: I am really pleased that you have come to a decision that suits you.

I wish you well raggymac and I hope your new-found sister and yourself can have a sisterly relationship; it would be nice for something positive to come out of all your anguish.

flowers

Coolgran65 Sun 01-Jun-14 23:37:13

I have only just come upon this thread and think that you did the right thing in going to the funeral.

Did everything go as you hoped?