Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Introductions - a thing of the past?

(63 Posts)
KatyK Thu 26-Jun-14 18:14:08

If I am out with someone and I bump into someone I know (if that makes sense) I always introduce the two people to each other. My DH does this also but my DD never introduces me to anyone. Even when I have been with her to a couple of social occasions when my SIL couldn't go and there have been a lot of her friends and colleagues there, at no point has she said 'this is my mum'. I have just sat there feeling very awkward or have said 'I am her mum'. Is this a modern trend?

Silverfish Fri 27-Jun-14 22:15:53

I actually said thumped, not punched. One teacher in particular would thump anyone in the shoulder with the side of his hand if they were not in line for instance. Anyway its in the past-cant undo it but that's they was it was and they had no tolerance for shy folk. If they weren't ridiculed they were jst ignored and were left to slide behind with their school work. One particular lady had a habit of slapping us either on the bottom or hands we were all scared of her.
Im so glad that kids nowadays don't have to put up with that.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Jun-14 22:17:31

"What on earth was the original subject of this post, cant remember." grin

That made me laugh out loud Silverfish.

Silverfish Fri 27-Jun-14 22:18:40

meant to say the way it was. not the was it was

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Jun-14 22:19:49

I remember getting the ruler when I was a child. The teacher used to bend your fingers back - and that hurt as much as the ruler hitting your palm. She was cruel.

Another teacher (in the infants!) had a way of bringing her fingertips together and prodding us in the back with them. Really painful.

Galen Fri 27-Jun-14 22:21:22

I remember the ruler (from the nuns) and the cane (from my mother)

Galen Fri 27-Jun-14 22:23:52

Our Latin teacher used to throw the (hard variety) chalk duster at us. This made start sneezing and I was sent to stand outside for 'taking the mick'!confused

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Jun-14 22:25:30

grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Jun-14 22:25:55

Sorry. Couldn't help but laugh there. blush

Silverfish Fri 27-Jun-14 22:26:33

One male teacher used to smack us on the bum with his cane, that was so humiliating and just as painful as the hand

newist Fri 27-Jun-14 22:30:46

Which area of the North East did you go to school Silverfish

Ana Fri 27-Jun-14 22:35:58

Sorry, Silverfish, yes I see that you did say 'thumped' and not 'punched'. My mistake.

Silverfish Fri 27-Jun-14 22:39:25

I went to the tough area, school cant be more specific than that as I still live near there and saw one of my former teachers, a doddrey old man of about 90 but I bet her could still wield a cane-not taking any chances