Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tidy Tips? How are your drawers or shelves or anything?

(141 Posts)
trisher Sat 06-Sep-14 12:56:24

I am about as untidy a person as you can get. Watching a detective drama recently I heard someone describe a victim's t-shirts as "rolled not folded" in a drawer. Well that was the start! I have now re-organised all my drawers and I love it. It's easier to take things out and I can fit more in. So I started to wonder how many other ways of keeping things tidy am I missing out on? Come on you neat Grans I need your help!

MiniMouse Sat 06-Sep-14 17:28:44

There's great comfort to be found in the saying, "Tidy house, empty mind!" wink I'm going away to hide now . . . . .

AlieOxon Sat 06-Sep-14 17:57:03

I'm just about to email people about the next Family History meeting - which has to be HERE.
Never mind, I shall panic next week. Not now.

annodomini Sat 06-Sep-14 18:03:33

Of course there's a place for everything, but sometimes I forget where that place is. When the DSs were little, if they saw me rushing around tidying and hoovering, they would say, 'Who's coming, Mum?' Oh dear, Plus ca change.

rubysong Sat 06-Sep-14 18:09:40

phoenix I must be a bit dense today. Please tell me what is the significance of 'Dagenham'?

hildajenniJ Sat 06-Sep-14 19:08:41

Oh anno you sound like me. I have a blitz on the kitchen cupboards every so often. My clothes generally hang in the wardrobe and my drawers are tidy. I loathe housework and only do it very grudgingly. As long as it's fairly tidy and more or less dust free DH doesn't seem to mind.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 06-Sep-14 19:22:32

All I can say is Aaaargh!! I never iron or even fold my knickers, just dump them in the drawer and take out the pair that seems most fitting to my mood in the morning. They do not match my bras, which I do not change every day, I might add. My coat hangers are usually on the rail in the same direction because it's easier that way, but none of my clothes storage is colour-coordinated.

annodomini, my DD did that too at a very early age blush

MiniMouse, move over, I'm coming to hide too.

vegasmags Sat 06-Sep-14 19:28:27

I am also queuing up to join the Untidy Mob. Every so often I have a bit of a blitz, but things never stay up to scratch for long. I make resolutions to keep on top of things, but then life has a way of coming along.

marigold1 Sat 06-Sep-14 20:14:52

I am a lost cause.

Charleygirl Sat 06-Sep-14 20:20:12

OMG it is a slob's house here I think. Anybody fancy coming here for a couple of months to sort it all out?

Ana Sat 06-Sep-14 20:23:12

I don't even have any face flannels, never mind ironing them!

What's all this rolling towels up malarkey? I just fold them and shove them in the landing cupboard (having only one bathroom to worry about wink)

janerowena Sat 06-Sep-14 20:48:26

I have a dressing room.

I throw things into it as I dash past.

I sort it all out about three times a year.

Two weeks later it looks just as bad.

I used to be very neat and tidy. Now that I have more time, I am less tidy. I think I just got fed up with having to be organised. I'm on a break.

rockgran Sat 06-Sep-14 20:52:14

I'm always reorganising my methods of storage - Pinterest has great ideas. It drives DH mad. grin

tiggypiro Sat 06-Sep-14 22:09:01

Life is far too short to be spent tidying although maybe if I were a bit more organised I would not have had to spend most of yesterday digging out the conservatory.
I think I am in the slobs group !

louisamay Sat 06-Sep-14 22:16:00

I think harrigran could give all us slobs a lesson on sorting our stuff into colour co-ordinated, size and season appropriate order. Now there's a thought.

Ana. You are definitely a girl (gran) after my own heart!

Deedaa Sat 06-Sep-14 22:27:17

Knickers are thrown in the knicker drawer. The matching bras are sort of folded in the bra drawer. Haven't tried rolling towels, but I don't think it would work particularly well in our airing cupboard. The wardrobe is divided into skirts trousers and jackets. If it's co-ordinated it's only because a lot of my clothes are the same colour!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Sep-14 22:34:26

A lot of our clothes are in the garden shed at the moment. In large plastic holdalls.

louisamay Sat 06-Sep-14 23:18:27

A consoling thought: Dorothy Parker, the American satarist, once said,
'An immaculate house is a sign of a wasted life..'

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Sep-14 23:22:50

I don't agree with her.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Sep-14 23:23:21

Why should it be? It makes you feel good.

Ana Sat 06-Sep-14 23:25:27

I wouldn't know, never having had an immaculate house...

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Sep-14 23:27:24

Well no. I haven't either, so far. But I'm trying.

louisamay Sat 06-Sep-14 23:27:39

Well,she WAS a satirist!!

Ana Sat 06-Sep-14 23:30:57

That's the trouble with these satirists - you never know whether they're being serious or not...hmm

ninathenana Sat 06-Sep-14 23:56:34

My name is nina, and I'm a slob
grin

rubylady Sun 07-Sep-14 03:14:05

Lol nina

I'm a slob too although I am going to be going through all our things soon and throwing stuff away we don't need/use for our downsize.

My son has a good way of keeping his clothes to hand in his room, they are on his floorobe!