Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tidy Tips? How are your drawers or shelves or anything?

(141 Posts)
trisher Sat 06-Sep-14 12:56:24

I am about as untidy a person as you can get. Watching a detective drama recently I heard someone describe a victim's t-shirts as "rolled not folded" in a drawer. Well that was the start! I have now re-organised all my drawers and I love it. It's easier to take things out and I can fit more in. So I started to wonder how many other ways of keeping things tidy am I missing out on? Come on you neat Grans I need your help!

Kiora Sun 07-Sep-14 06:09:21

I'm going through my things soon too. Well when I get the time ....perhaps when I retire in 2016. Though I may not retire until I'm 65 that's 2018. I really envyenvy those of us who are organised and tidy. I spend a great deal of my life moving one lot of shite stuff from one room only to move the same lot back to the same room a few weeks/months later. My problem is I'v got ' mightism syndrome' I might need that, I might fit into that, I might want that, one day. Seriously if I died I'd leave one hellava mess. Apart from my knickers and tops they are neatly rolled in my drawer. Oh and perhaps my airing cupboard if I pull myself together and tidy it up too(see previous post)

Kiora Sun 07-Sep-14 06:16:13

ps. I think my problem is partly because I watch too much television. It's the 'true entertainment' channel. I'll never get anything done. ( I have now saved some time as I don't have to post on the "how early to turn the T.V on" thread. wink

Marmight Sun 07-Sep-14 07:07:53

Now I've heard it all! ironed face flannel shock. Life's too short [shriek emoticon] grin
Years ago I did hear of a friends' neighbour who religiously ironed her baby's terry-towel nappies...............
I too am a member of the GN Slobs

Riverwalk Sun 07-Sep-14 07:23:38

Not quite all Marmight .... the driver of an ironing service that I used told me that every week he collects a bag, from a high-powered businesswoman, containing only towels! shock

kittylester Sun 07-Sep-14 07:26:55

I had a friend who ironed nappies and Mrs Bucket my mum always ironed towels!

Riverwalk Sun 07-Sep-14 07:32:05

Ironing your own towels is one thing Kitty one thing too many but paying for them to be ironed is quite another! And this company charged by weight not by item.

suzied Sun 07-Sep-14 07:51:29

I have way too many clothes and after reading this thread I'm going to sort them out. Trouble is I still like the ones I have , have lots of jackets, pencil skirts etc from workdays so I think I will definitely get rid of those and maybe just keep a couple of the nicer ones incase. eBay will be getting the others. Since the kids have left home I have appropriated wardrobes, so have plenty of space. I think you just expand your stuff to fit the space available. I have lots of those plastic clothes covers which keep everything dust free an enable you to see what's in the bags.

FlicketyB Sun 07-Sep-14 08:10:59

I do not aspire to the immaculate precision of some posters, but I am tidy and I cannot work in an untidy environment.

I also have a place for everything and everything in its place and nothing drives me madder than not finding things where I know they ought to be. I also always have a spare of everything waiting for use, you know, toothpaste and toiletries, food in the store cupboard. Divorce has been threatened because someone forgot to write on the shopping list that they had opened and used nearly all the cheese - and I was planning cauliflower cheese for supper.

I always said I could never marry a man who was untidy or smoked - well, DH doesn't smoke. His untidiness he kept cunningly hidden until after the wedding ceremony. Even his mother used to say 'Born in a barn, if she didn't know better'. I sometimes wonder what great things I could have achieved in life had I been able to use the time I spend tidying up on other activities

Kiora Sun 07-Sep-14 08:27:32

flickety you wouldn't have any time you'd have used it all looking for things amongst the mess you hadn't tidied. Like me! You can't win either way

Anne58 Sun 07-Sep-14 11:07:16

Sorry for the late response ruby Dagenham = Almost Barking!

Tegan Sun 07-Sep-14 11:56:01

I spent ages last night looking for a cd I wanted to listen to and couldn't find since my last bout of re arranging. I'd put all the cd's in alphabetical order [except the ones I play a lot which just float round the house, meet up have little chats with each other] but the 'copied' ones had disappeared [I'd put them in cases at the end of the alphabetical ones].

rubysong Sun 07-Sep-14 12:21:01

Phoenix grin

Soutra Sun 07-Sep-14 12:22:46

I always thought that a tidy house was the sign of a broken computer!
I now feel TOTALLY inadequate in the face of alphabetically arranged contents of the bathroom cabinet, and rolled anything anywhere. On the other hand, I am totally anal about alphabetically arranged books - once divided into paperbacks and hardbacks that is - oh and fiction and history /poetry/nonfiction that is and if I can't find the author I am looking for I get into a total panic.
Maybe I should have a go at the knicker drawer hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 12:32:22

When I do a large - separate - wash of DH' s underwear, I bundle them back in the drawer any old how. He, poor man, gets them out, folds them, and puts them back tidily. Bless. grin

Ana Sun 07-Sep-14 12:50:54

Good heavens, a large wash just for your DH's underwear! Does he change them several times a day? grin

Galen Sun 07-Sep-14 12:52:26

Perhaps he's a large DH?

Galen Sun 07-Sep-14 12:54:05

NOTHING is tidy in my house and I don't care. It's a home, I live in it and can find everything
Usually
Well, eventuallyhmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 13:55:54

grin No! He doesn't change them several times a day. I just mean I save them up until there's only one pair left in the drawer. It's not exactly a large wash.

louisamay Sun 07-Sep-14 15:02:31

I once worked with a woman who's hygiene was, shall we say, 'questionable'. However, she was constantly talking about how she cleaned the house top to bottom every night and how often her and DH bathed/showered etc. The thing that sticks in my mind though, is that she reckoned DH changed his
underpants three times a day, and was so careful about cleaning himself 'down there' that he used a whole toilet roll every day. Of course it was nonsense but I imagined him packing his lunch box along with his spare pants and toilet roll every morning before setting off for work.

kittylester Sun 07-Sep-14 15:31:06

I worked with someone who brought a clean pair of her DH's underpants with her which he then collected from her after he had played squash!

Still can't get my head round that. He was a gp and a couple of years later he was imprisoned for sexually assaulting young men! I don't know if the two things were related!

louisamay Sun 07-Sep-14 16:24:37

He probably wasn't playing squash - well not in the sporting kind of way.

louisamay Sun 07-Sep-14 16:31:10

Don't know where this thread is going BUT, a friend once told me that her husband came home 'from the pub' and when he undressed for bed she noticed he wasn't wearing his own underpants! As she bought all his clothes she knew they were definitely NOT his. I don't think the mystery was ever solved but it was highly suspicious . They are still together..

glassortwo Sun 07-Sep-14 16:34:34

Well I am a slut shock no organisation. .. no organised chaos describes me well.
The only thing I do is place all linen for a bed change in one of the pillowcases so I dont have to rummage in my tidy airing cupboard for a missing peice of bedding... grin tidy airing cupboard who am I kidding wink

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 16:46:24

Glass that is a huge thing to do. I don't, hence the non-matching pillowcases on my bed. (When I go up at 11.30 having stayed too long on here, and find the stripped bed still waiting for me, desperation kicks in hmm)

glassortwo Sun 07-Sep-14 17:20:35

Saves me hours jingle just putting your hand on everything you need in one grab and saves upending the airing cupboard everytime. I wont leave a bed till later as its my pet hate rolling up to bed ready to fall in and its still unmade. <shiver emoticon>