Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Will I ever change

(47 Posts)
Kiora Mon 06-Oct-14 20:50:41

I love gransnet. I been able to air my problems, share my thoughts and worries.get advice and share some of my demons and show off about my grandchildren. Iv also learnt something about myself that's unsettled me a little. ( not enough to keep me awake!) I think I shy away from any type of conflict. I'm so sickly sweet I almost make my self vomit[finger down throat emotion] years ago my then boss sent me on an assertive course because I found it difficult to turn people away if they were late for their appointment. It drove her crazy. ( we still meet up a few times a year so it didn't put her off me completely) The conclusion was that I didn't do it for their sake. Apparently I did it because I wanted to be 'liked' we'll obviously knowing and accepting this about myself hasn't solved the problem. I am not a procrastinator and can hold my own in an argument. Forced into a corner I can hold my ground. I'm told I can be quite brave about putting my opnion forward at large meetings Especially if I'think either myself or others are not being treated fairly. I look at some of the posts on here and I do admire those that are not afraid to say it how it is. I'm steeling myself for some of your replies. ( perhaps I should practice on gransnetgrin but it's interesting what makes us tick. I can sort of trace it back to my childhood but I'm 61 so why can't I change ?

elena Tue 07-Oct-14 22:30:12

(*kittylester*, that's actually very funny smile )

Dwelling on conversations and turning them over and over in your head again and again is 'ruminating' and it's def. not a good thing to do.

With self-awareness goes self-acceptance, but in a good way. The 'bad' sort of self-awareness is when someone is constantly self-critical, and that can lead to wondering if you are worthy of other people's attention, even love. Being scared to voice an opinion can be an aspect of this.

On the other hand, knowing when silence is golden, and to keep opinions to oneself, is a different thing!

henetha Tue 07-Oct-14 22:34:50

Hello twin, kittylester! I knew I had a twin somewhere! I suspect that confrontational people must be unhappy somehow, and yes, it must be exhausting. Let's stay nice, it's easier... smile
Good wishes.
Hen.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Oct-14 22:53:58

Group hug then. Lovely. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Oct-14 22:54:24

Whoops! Was I being confrontational there?

Ana Tue 07-Oct-14 22:57:49

grin Perhaps a bit patronising...?

Anya Tue 07-Oct-14 22:59:04

Saccharine perhaps cupcake

Elegran Tue 07-Oct-14 23:03:40

There is a balance between being nice and allowing people to be nasty. Sometimes keeping quiet is a good thing, sometimes speaking up is better. The difficult part is recognising which is which.

HollyDaze Wed 08-Oct-14 17:10:31

Kiora - we all have aspects of our personality that we are sometimes unhappy about, so take heart: you are not alone!

It is possible to change, I did. I used to be very aggressive as a youngster (and until mid-20s) but I made myself calm down. I learned that there is a right way and a wrong way of saying pretty much everything and saying it the right way is always better (those that revel in nastiness are best left well alone).

From your post, you seem to be able to stand up for yourself when needed - does anything else really matter?

langfordlady Wed 08-Oct-14 22:25:39

hi have just joined gransnet and this is my first post. I agree absolutely with everything that's been said so far. SOunds like me. One of the many reasons I joined gransnet is because my son and partner have just had my first grandchild, and I am so worried I will do/say something that my DIL will take offence to. Pathetic isn't it? I just so want to be a perfect grandma.
However, feel a bit fuming tonight because everyone else is getting pats on back from them for being so helpful,yet I and my husband are being (in my opinion) taken for granted. Is this jealousy normal? Am I a freak?I just wantto be liked !!

Soutra Wed 08-Oct-14 22:47:51

There seems to be an obsession with changing oneself in the media especially TV and of course magazines. Do you remember 10 Years Younger, What Not to Wear, Look Good Naked etc and all those personal and home/garden makeover programmes. They do not bring happiness!
I think Helena has got it when she says you can't change who you are but you can change your behaviour.
I find that both inspirational and reassuring. smile

annsixty Wed 08-Oct-14 22:56:15

This thread reminds of the prayer which I cannot remember accurately along the lines of Grant me the courage to change the things I can, accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference. A very rough idea of the correct version.

baubles Thu 09-Oct-14 06:40:38

It is called the Serenity Prayer annsixty, used a lot in addiction recovery programmes

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Non believers miss out the first word.

Soutra Thu 09-Oct-14 07:12:32

Sorry elena for the superfluous "h" in your name. blush

elena Thu 09-Oct-14 08:44:14

No probs, Soutra smile

I think along with changing our behaviour, it's god to remember we can change our reactions (which is part of behaviour, I suppose).

So for langfordlady, it sounds like you're a perfectionist - you are so scared of being less than wonderful, of people criticising you, you end up feeling 'pathetic' in case you do the wrong thing and put your foot in it...and that's so limiting and awkward in relationships.

You're also looking for affirmation from others that you are doing well, and when you don't get it, you are resentful and feel as if others are getting the praise you want for yourself. It sounds exhausting sad But it's prob not because you are big-headed or a jealous person - but because you are low in confidence yourself, and need others to boost you.

Changing your reaction would mean re-framing your thoughts, to forget about the praise you see others appear to be getting, and to stop comparing. Are you really not being thanked or appreciated in any way at all? If that's the case, then perhaps you can ask directly the best way to offer help, and say with a laugh you are worried about getting things wrong. You'll need not to sound miffed or jealous, just genuinely willing!

Hope this comes across ok - I have a background in counselling and these are the sort of 'tactics' that can help in behaviour (rather than character!) change.

KatyK Thu 09-Oct-14 10:04:02

langfordlady - No you are not a freak. Many of us feel as you do. I have had my fair share of these feelings.

Scaredycat1 Thu 09-Oct-14 12:37:15

Langfordlady I've had these feelings too but try not show them. A first grandchild is a completely new experience for everyone and I think most DiL will turn to their own mothers first. As the mothers of sons we have to accept that. I try and live my own life and try not to get too wrapped up in the detail of theirs. They do call on me in emergencies! Good luck; this is just another of life's phases and will undoubtedly change.

langfordlady Thu 09-Oct-14 22:48:38

Many thanks for the positive comments. I definitely feel better tonight. There are other issues behind my feelings …...because my husband is not my son's Dad….. and I had a very childish reaction to praise given to my ex who is suddenly an "amazing" grandad. My husband, bless him,is excited, but not to the extent that I am, which is also understandable….but rankles! I was in tears about it yesterday, and that's what makes me pathetic.
Kiora, I hope you don't think I have hijacked your thread. I just needed to get it all off my chest, and stop bottling it all up. So thanks to you, I have managed to do that, and hope you feel slightly better knowing that there are folk out there who are just as bad, if not worse , than you! WHat are we like??!

KatyK Fri 10-Oct-14 10:14:11

langfordlady flowers A similar thing has happened to me. From my experience, best to keep quiet and go with the flow (which I know is difficult).

specki4eyes Fri 10-Oct-14 10:25:21

Inability to change? Who was it who said that "'madness' is defined by repeating the same behaviour but expecting the outcome to be different". Mea culpa! I've chosen two similar husbands and had to divorce each one!

People pleasers are sometimes the prey of control freaks - in that respect it is good that you are aware of your inherent nature Kiora.

Nonnie Fri 10-Oct-14 11:08:25

I don't believe we can change our fundamental character but we can change to some extent which is why personality tests are only ever accepted for 18 months - 2 years after they are taken. Beyond that they need to be redone as life changes us whether we notice it or not. Some change more some less but you can do it consciously if you really want to.

I have learnt only recently to say 'No' to people and have found it very rewarding. I have always been the sort of person whose attitude is 'the answer's yes now what is the question' but know a lot of people whose attitude is 'the answer's no, what is the question'. The sort of person who will look for any reason not to help. Now I wait, think and then decide whether I will do it or not. Maybe I will do it but when it suits me and not right now.

I think if we are honest we all know there are small things we could change to make us more like we would like to be. None of us is perfect.

Kiora Sun 12-Oct-14 20:39:47

Interesting posts thanks. langfordlady my first post were about almost the same thing. I'm prone to a bit of grandparent rivalry. I think I headed it 'the green monster' I just somtimes think I'm a jumble of emotions. When I was younger I used to think that by the time I'd got to the age I am now I'd have figured myself out. Some people just seem to amble along nicely.I'd like to amble nicely because your right it can be exhausting.