Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ideas for 1960s party

(32 Posts)
suzied Fri 17-Oct-14 06:47:22

For my OHs 60th birthday I am thinking of doing a small dinner party with a 1960s theme. I have a few ideas but would like to avoid prawn cocktail. Any ideas for food? Entertainment? Decor?

baubles Fri 17-Oct-14 14:59:50

I've still got my orange Le Creuset fondue set though it hasn't been used for a number of years. I've also still got a grapefruit knife and spoons which were a wedding gift.

Elegran Fri 17-Oct-14 17:41:29

So have I, Baubles , and the fish knives and forks. all to match the "best" cutlery, which is still in use.

At least it is all stainless steel (very with-it 60s, MiL couldn't understand why we didn't want nice shiny EPNS), so can go in the washing machine.

Plus a beautiful set of six crystal grapefruit dishes. If grapefruit ever comes back into fashion, I am all ready.

Deedaa Fri 17-Oct-14 21:55:44

When we had parties in the 60's the mainstays were cubes of cheese on sticks with a chunk of pineapple and a silverskin onion (never seen that combination since) and rollmops sliced up and popped onto squares of bread. Oh the decadence! grin All washed down with Blue Nun of course!

Grannyknot Fri 17-Oct-14 22:07:53

susid "port and lemon". Talk about a trip down memory lane! I used to order a "Ginger Square" couldn't tell you what was in it. I'd sip it politely.

janerowena Fri 17-Oct-14 22:46:44

Paper lanterns, psychedelic posters, lava lamps. What's that furry stuff called - long nylon shag pile stuff, there used to be lots of brightly coloured rugs made of it. Soda syphon, sobrani cocktail cigarettes.

annodomini Fri 17-Oct-14 23:37:48

Mateus Rosé bottles were much used at parties to hold candles as were Chianti bottles, the ones with as sort of raffia basket round the base. You'd need to drink a lot of the stuff to get enough bottles for a festive atmosphere. In St Andrews we were fortunate to be able to collect bottles from the bins behind the marquees set up for golf tournaments.