Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

would a other grans be hurt by this

(116 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 27-Oct-14 10:27:51

The other day one of my best friends was very upset, her youngest daughter has a nine month old baby and my friend goes regularly to visit. she has been told to phone or text and is not welcome to drop in.
I can understand to a certain extent that the young mother likes to have the house tidy for visitors but she should allow her own mother to drop in.
My friend is the worlds best recycler, she buys all sorts of stuff second hand, jumpers she re-knits, scraps of wood she hoards, she climbs on skips to claim furniture which she recovers etc etc. She also buys second hand baby clothes and toys.

Her daughter has told her that every baby item she brings must have a price tag on it or it will be binned (in case its second hand).

My friend had taken a new shawl and baby clothes and her daughter had refused to take them as she had taken off the price tag, these were new but she could not prove it. She eventually gave the stuff to someone else who was grateful.
My friend was really upset at this apparent clothes snobbery. Would other grans agree that this is unnecessary. I have not given second hand clothes but have bought some used toys (plastic scrubs up well) fro my granddaughter but my daughter had lots of used stuff when she was little.

Leticia Sun 02-Nov-14 07:21:04

I can see why she might want warning that she is going to drop in, and it is easy enough to do.
I never understand the clothes snobbery bit- you can get such lovely things second hand and they are next to new. However if she has one of those odd daughters it isn't worth fighting. She should stick to getting second hand books and toys and keeping them at her house to play with.
They do relax more as the child becomes older or they have more than one.
Control issues are at their height with a first baby.

Greenfinch Sun 02-Nov-14 09:13:57

Faye grin

rosequartz Sun 02-Nov-14 09:59:56

That's right, Leticia, often everything has to be 'just so' with a first baby.
Probably the girl's heart sinks when she sees her mother arrive with yet again a bagful of rubbish second-hand recycled stuff.

You say, ethel that she is the youngest daughter - perhaps as the youngest she got all the hand-me-downs from her sisters - which could have been second-hand in the first place and she is determined that her own baby will have new!

BigGranny Mon 03-Nov-14 03:28:18

sounds like your friend needs to grow some thicker skin if i am being totally honest with you. she should be willing to fork out a little extra money for her grandchildren like any GOOD granny would.

Leticia Mon 03-Nov-14 08:08:00

If she is going to fork out extra money it would be better to start a saving scheme for when the grandchild really needs it rather than wasting it on new baby clothes. If her daughter is terribly fussy it is best to let her get her own- even if she got new they would probably be 'wrong'.
A 'good' granny is all about time anyway and nothing to do with money.
(Maybe the daughter has something against hand me downs if she was the youngest)

BigGranny Mon 03-Nov-14 14:22:20

a saving scheme is one thing but that wont matter if your grandkid doesnt even want to go to school because they are being bullied because of their cheap clothes. they need to be dressed in the best stuff possible to make friends and get through school like a normal child. it shouldnt be a problem for any granny to just buy their grandkids something nice every so often. some call it spoiling, but in my opinion it's just doing what you need to do not to neglect a child.

rosequartz Mon 03-Nov-14 14:49:54

they need to be dressed in the best stuff possible to make friends and get through school like a normal child

That is so shallow!
I would hope they would be wearing a school uniform which is a great leveller!

Perhaps your friend could flog the re-cycled stuff she gets out of skips and re-covers, then put the money into an Junior ISA for the baby.

Leticia Mon 03-Nov-14 17:06:49

Personally I would rather they had good quality stuff second hand than cheap, badly produced new. Who would know it was second hand?
Plus the baby isn't going to school! The baby couldn't care less what it is wearing or where it came from!
Even when they are old enough to go to school I can't see why you need to bother when they have uniform.
If you are going to get friends from what you are wearing, or your possessions, they are not 'real' friends. It also doesn't work like that- it is character that gets friends.
If the daughter does think in this shallow way then I would opt out of buying stuff and give experiences and your time.
A good idea to sell the stuff and save the money for the baby.

Leticia Mon 03-Nov-14 17:11:40

'Normal' children are not bothered by clothes. If they are not dirty and messy by the end of it they are not having a good time! Nothing is sadder than a parent getting cross because they have paint on their jumper or not wanting them to roll down hills, climb trees , jump in puddles etc because they will get their clothes dirty.
As they get older you could keep the second hand clothes at your house and they can wear them to make mud pies etc and do the fun things without causing upset.

Elegran Mon 03-Nov-14 17:12:09

No, they don't need to be dressed in the best stuff possible. That is just colluding with the bullies who make life hell for those whose parents can only afford the cheapest and worst possible.

That is not to say that they should go to school on principle in rags or in the weariest of charity shop rejects. Their parents should buy them things of good quality which will last, but not assume that only the very best (ie the most expensive clothes bearing the label of a prominent and well-advertised brand) will do.

For goodness sake, don't turn them into snobbish little consumerists from birth. The advertising agencies are already working hard on that.

Leticia Mon 03-Nov-14 17:12:43

And if you have saved the money they could use it to buy clothes as teenagers when they are bothered by image.

Leticia Mon 03-Nov-14 17:14:36

I still don't know how anyone else would know it was second hand- the granny is not going to buy anything that is tatty, shabby etc!

Nonu Mon 03-Nov-14 17:17:11

All my G/C wear school uniforms, thought most did nowadays !

RedheadedMommy Mon 03-Nov-14 20:35:15

I'm all for 2nd hand clothes, however, there are second hand clothes that are in really good condition and 2nd hand clothes that are tatty, discoloured and don't look very appealing.

If she has been a keen recycler all her life, maybe her DD has been the one bullied because of her mum's 'keen recycling' maybe she has had 2nd hand clothing of the tatty and unappealing kind?

Maybe she wanted to make clear to her mum that her DD was going to have new clothes because she never did. Maybe. That's how it has come across to me.

Leticia Mon 03-Nov-14 21:57:55

I expect she will be OK in the long run- things often miss out a generation and the grandchild will have a lovely time recycling with her grandma- both thinking the mother is a bit odd! It is the way things go.