Grandson visiting for Christmas

new2me Fri 07-Nov-14 15:13:00

Help, please. We have our baby Grandson visiting for Christmas with his Mummy and Daddy and they are bringing their dog, our Grandson has just started crawling. We also have my daughter and her boyfriend and their dog staying for Christmas. We also have a dog!!!
I am so excited about the thought of us all spending time together but very nervous about having 3 doggies and a baby crawling. I have said that the Lounge room should be "DOG FREE" at least whilst our Grandson is in there I don't want it to spoil Christmas, my husband is even more concerned as our dog/daughters dog are not use to babies or small children. Our Grandson lives at the other end of the Country from us, so want to make it special.
Any tips would be so very much appreciated.
Thank you

Iam64 Fri 07-Nov-14 17:18:56

I'd be a bit anxious as well new2me. If the dogs don't know each other, I'd walk them together before you bring the new dogs into your home. Start off with the dogs on lead and then off lead to mix with each other. That'll give you some idea what kind of pack they're going to be. I hope you have 3 even tempered dogs as that'll make life much easier.

Is there a space you can put them, like a utility room? I started to get my dogs ready weeks before last christmas, by putting their beds, and feeding them in the utility. I have a child's safety gate so they're unable to pester visitors, but they can see us all coming and going. If your daughter lives nearby, maybe you could start getting those two dogs used to being put in their space (give them treats, make is special for them). So, if the 3rd dog doesn't settle easily with them, at least you'll only have one roamer.

I agree, having one room dog free is a good idea. For what it's worth, we often had4 or 5 dogs at my mums home for Christmas. Increasingly, I think she had a magic touch with dogs and children (of any age). They all behaved perfectly in her presence. One of mine did, however, eat all the meat for my sister's birthday tea at mums house, but mum wasn't in the room at the time grin

Good luck

Nonu Fri 07-Nov-14 17:40:47

Can"t the dogs put out to board ?

The child is more important I would think , if anything happened you "NEVER" forgive yourself.

Dogs CAN be unpredictable!

Just saying!

Mishap Fri 07-Nov-14 17:41:03

Gosh - this sounds like my idea of hell! But as you are clearly all dog lovers I am sure there will be a way around it.

Iam64 Fri 07-Nov-14 18:58:54

I suspect that new2me knows that dogs are unpredictable, and that the child is more important Nonu. That's why she's asking for advice about how to manage this situation.

Until my latest dog, now aged 2, I'd never shared my life with a reactive dog. It's meant I've learned more than I thought I'd ever need to and
ensured I'm mega cautious about my young dog. He's never shown any signs of aggression to anyone or any dog, but he is best described as more highly strung than any of my other dogs have been. That's the reason I worked on the safe space for the dog, to ensure he's never in a position where he feels overwhelmed. Introducing 3 dogs who don't know each other, in the home of one of those dogs, at a busy and emotional time of year, isn't something to be taken lightly. But, it can be done. I suspect most of us try and avoid boarding our dogs, unless essential. Mine go into kennels when necessary, and cope well with it, but they are part of the family, and I wouldn't want them banished at Christmas….. My family will be coming, along with their 4 dogs but we'll all get on with it. We don't have youngsters currently, but we live in hope smile

vampirequeen Fri 07-Nov-14 19:13:14

I think it's a good idea to have at least one dog free room. At the end of the day they're only dogs. Your GS needs to be safe to crawl around whenever he wantsl

absentgrandma Fri 07-Nov-14 19:23:18

You don't have dogs to bung them in kennels when it happens to be inconvenient to you. Boarding is a traumatic experience for a family pet.Iam64 is quite right in her sensible advice. The dogs are banned from the living room for the festive season, but can still see what's going on by using a babygate to keep them away from the baby.

The onus of responsibilty falls on the dog's owners who must be told in no uncertain terms to make sure the babygate stays locked!

With plenty of walks and outside 'play' time the dogs will be fine.

Enjoy your Christmas with your new grandchild, your DCs and their partners.... and the dogs,New2me

Nonu Fri 07-Nov-14 19:27:52

^EXCUSE ME!!!!!!,I am 64,

Didn"t know you had exclusive rights on this thread.

Think my last sentence was "Just saying"

hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 19:32:06

I agree with Nonu. Bung the dogs in the local kennels. Too risky to have them round the children.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 19:33:06

They don't know it's Christmas! They are dogs.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 19:36:42

I guess the visiting dog could stay. He will be used to the crawling baby. (would still make me shudder though!)

Nelliemoser Fri 07-Nov-14 19:47:00

Nonu I cannot understand why you have just "shouted" at Iam64when she was just expressing her view like everyone else.

I also do not understand how you could have come to the conclusion that she had even thought she... had exclusive rights on this thread.

I am sorry to point this out but that seemed rather discourteous.

In internet use capital letters and exclamation marks are considered as being aggressive and certainly appear so in this post.

Nonu Fri 07-Nov-14 19:49:26

Everyone has their own point of view !! IMO

goldengirl Fri 07-Nov-14 19:50:19

I would be on tenterhooks the whole time with all those dogs and a baby. Why do they have to bring them? It seems a bit unthinking but I suppose if they don't have children they might not understand. I think kennels is the answer.

Elegran Fri 07-Nov-14 19:53:10

I am 75. Game set and match. What have our ages to do with anything?

What are you getting aeriated about, nonu ? No-one is pushing you out, just expressing other ideas. Do you have exclusive rights on the thread? Cool down!

Maggiemaybe Fri 07-Nov-14 20:13:48

Elegran, I think Nonu was just quoting Iam64's name, not stating a fact. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 20:17:57

grin

Confusion reigns on GN. Again.

Ana Fri 07-Nov-14 20:27:24

Good heavens, if exclamation marks are supposed to be aggressive we have an awful lot of aggressive members on here! That's just mad!confused

Nonu Fri 07-Nov-14 20:33:03

Trust me elegran [was going to do capitals, but have been told that is aggressive].
Me cool, I was born cool. smile

rosesarered Fri 07-Nov-14 20:35:54

I wouldn't care too much about the dogs feelings.... they are dogs.Put them in kennels, all of them.Nobody will have a minutes peace for worrying about a crawling baby and 3 dogs. Also the dogs will be excitable and not used to each other. A bad situation all round.

rosesarered Fri 07-Nov-14 20:37:32

I used to have a dog for years, and now and then he had to go to a kennel, he may not have loved it, but it was neccessary.

rosequartz Fri 07-Nov-14 20:41:22

If the dogs were three dogs who lived together all the time I would not be so worried. However, as they are coming together, perhaps for the first time, there could be some tension amongst them.
I would definitely be keeping a crawling baby in a completely dog-free zone and make sure none of the dogs can get upstairs or out of a certain area or left in a small room together if they don't know each other.
I still don't understand why the dogs are coming with them and why they can't go into kennels. That would be more courteous to you as host imo.
DBIL and SIL brought their dog to stay once, and although we have had our own dogs, we certainly would not have let them run all through the vegetable patch, come in with muddy paws and sleep on the bed at night as they did (they let her upstairs after we had gone to bed).

It's your house, new2me so you make the rules.

Nelliemoser Fri 07-Nov-14 20:52:26

It's not the exclamation marks, it's capital letters that are generally considered as shouting on t'internet.

What I felt was unfair was Nonu's comment that (she).

"Didn"t know you (Iam) had exclusive rights on this thread."

Which sort of suggested to me that Nonu thought Iam was claiming such rights.

Maybe one or other of us is having a bad day.
Over and out, it's time to watch tele.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 20:52:35

Exclamation marks aggresive?!!!! Oh shite!!!!

shock

vampirequeen Fri 07-Nov-14 20:53:43

Could I ask how big your house is? Do you have space to isolate the dogs from certain rooms? If you have a big house I can see how it would work but if it's a small house won't it be over crowded?