Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

David Mellor and taxi driver

(93 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 25-Nov-14 09:43:59

David Mellor was involved in a verbal spat with a taxi driver - am I wrong in thinking it was disgraceful of the driver to send/sell a recording of the argument to a newspaper? hmm

Mellor

soontobe Tue 25-Nov-14 18:30:47

I bet DM didnt expect to be recorded!

soontobe Tue 25-Nov-14 18:32:34

I dont understand the rules on recording.
Ok so long as not used as evidence in court?

I have been surprised that voice recordings of people havent been commonplace.
But I am not up on modern technology.

Nonu Tue 25-Nov-14 18:39:02

Curious as to why a cabbie had a recording machine in his cab, suppose there is some sort of explanation!!

pompa Tue 25-Nov-14 18:47:16

Considering the amount of news air time this has taken up, there cannot be many important things going on in the world. I'm sure there are many more important/interesting news items.

Ana Tue 25-Nov-14 18:55:21

Must admit it would have completely passed me by if it wasn't for Gransnet!

rosequartz Tue 25-Nov-14 19:27:07

Me too, Ana!

Here we go again: Plebgate, Flag-gate, now Taxigate!

Eloethan Tue 25-Nov-14 19:35:26

I think some mobile phones can be used to record.

annodomini Tue 25-Nov-14 20:05:19

I've never used my phone to record, but I believe that most smart phones have this facility. Yes, just checked and there are several apps available.

Iam64 Wed 26-Nov-14 08:05:43

Taxi drivers put up with/experience all kinds of verbal abuse and are at risk of physical assaults or robbery. I imagine a lot of them have a record facility available to ensure a record in the event of trouble.

Brendawymms Wed 26-Nov-14 08:11:06

Do black cabs have a notice in them about video/ voice recording and the use it can be put to.
I understand and agree with taxi drivers need to protect themselves and recoding being useful for police evidence, but not to sell or give to a newspaper.

Was the taxi driver paid for the recording!

GrannyTwice Wed 26-Nov-14 08:17:05

Well I think the full force of the law should be brought to bear on this disgusting little oik of a taxi driver who had the temerity to back chat and record such a noble example of the British establishment and on his way back from the Palace as well. Or maybe DM could be charged with threatening and abusive behaviour?

kittylester Wed 26-Nov-14 08:53:27

I agree with Teetime

I also wonder if the cab driver records everyone who is rude to him or just the ones that he can pass on to the press? Or is David Mellor the very first person who has ever upset him?

Soutra Wed 26-Nov-14 11:03:02

Grannytwice grin grin
I love these variations on "Don't you know who I am?"

Nonu Wed 26-Nov-14 11:04:17

I agree with your second paragraph KITTY

KatyK Wed 26-Nov-14 12:08:45

I have just read the transcript of this recording. Whatever the reasons the cab driver had for recording it, Mellor comes across as a foul-mouthed, arrogant, rude, snob who thinks he is better than everyone else. 'We've just been to the palace, don't you know' attitude. So what? Lots of working class folk (including me) have 'been to the palace'. Attitudes like his make me angry Rant over....

Eloethan Wed 26-Nov-14 12:15:39

Well, if someone was being especially abusive to me and I had the means to record it, I think I would be tempted to do so. If that person had also indicated to me that, because of his lofty establishment credentials, he was superior to me in every way, I would also be tempted to broadcast it.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 12:23:07

And me!

annodomini Wed 26-Nov-14 13:02:00

Don't black cabs have CCTV nowadays to catch out people who abuse or assault drivers?

gillybob Wed 26-Nov-14 13:14:33

I think it is quite common for cabs to have recording and videoing equipment set up in their cabs. Don't blame them with some of the people they have to pick up.

gillybob Wed 26-Nov-14 13:18:22

When asked "Do you know who I am?"

Its a pity the cab driver didn't answer;

"Yes, aren't you that prat who famously sucked the toes of that De Sancha woman"

rosequartz Wed 26-Nov-14 13:19:13

Well, that was very interesting - I was just listening to the radio and several black cab drivers were being intereviewed about this incident. Several had picked up David Mellor, one just the other day, and some said that he often tells them which way he would like them to drive him and they always abide by it. The worst thing one of them said about him was that 'he could be a bit arrogant' but most said he was absolutely fine. They said what conversations go on in the back of the cab or between cabbie and passenger should not be repeated.

They were disgusted with the cab driver for doing what he did and they said when they find out who he is he will be ostracized.

Nonu Wed 26-Nov-14 16:40:15

That is interesting ROSE
hmm

soontobe Wed 26-Nov-14 16:43:25

ooh.
I suppose it makes sense. What is said in a cab, stays in the cab.

rosequartz Wed 26-Nov-14 17:34:45

I'm not defending DM in any way, he shouldn't have used bad language and tried to throw his weight around and belittle the driver even if he was very frustrated with him. However, I did think it was interesting to hear the views of other black cab drivers that the driver shouldn't have tittle tattled to anyone, let alone the media.

GrannyTwice Wed 26-Nov-14 18:11:51

Well rose it's only some of the cab drivers criticising him, others are supporting him so not quite sure where that takes the discussion. It's positively feudal to say that the cab driver should just have to put up with any abuse and say nothing.