Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Living in the past.

(52 Posts)
Falconbird Sat 10-Jan-15 16:41:49

I make my sons laugh because I still talk about the Gas Board, the Electricity Board and the GPO.

I also sometimes call the radio the wireless. I had a lot of dealings with a Solicitor recently and I half expected him to be wearing a pin striped suit and to offer me a small sherry. He was wearing very casual clothes and I wasn't even shown where a coffee machine was.

When I was having trouble having the phone and internet set up I said -

"When I was a young woman you went into your new house or flat and there was a telephone on the floor with the number clearly printed on a label on the phone, it was that simple. Life has become so complicated!!!!

smile

FarNorth Sat 10-Jan-15 16:45:08

And recording TV programmes onto video was pretty simple too. I have no idea how to record programmes nowadays and can't be bothered to find out.

janeainsworth Sat 10-Jan-15 16:55:36

Well, some things come full circle. Young visitors to Ainsworth Towers have been impressed with our vinyl collection and quaint amplifier and speaker system.

rosesarered Sat 10-Jan-15 17:21:17

Yes, many things were a lot simpler! However, with Sky+ it's easy to record programmes, and to surf the menu to find things, however, if anything goes wrong with the computer, I call for Mr Roses, and if he can't do anything, we call our son-in-law who is a whizz at these things.
Our solicitor is always very sharply dressed though only medical consultants wear bow ties these days.grin

felice Sat 10-Jan-15 17:21:31

Never did figure out the video recorder, just recorded any thing on that night on a very long tape !!!!!!!

rosequartz Sat 10-Jan-15 17:40:55

Can't figure out my mobile and how people seem to be able to access emails etc when they are away from home.

DD has tried to text me a link to an app but I don't know what she is talking about.

However, I can record programmes with our whateveritis box (not Sky, oh yes, Humax), just rarely get around to watching them!

FarNorth Sat 10-Jan-15 17:46:23

DD has tried to text me a link to an app but I don't know what she is talking about.

gringrin

kittylester Sat 10-Jan-15 17:50:14

Jane have you checked the prices the vinyl fetches. DH was really chuffed to discover that one of our LPs would be worth £200 - in mint condition!!! grin

janeainsworth Sat 10-Jan-15 17:57:42

Kitty shock
I think 'mint condition' might preclude most of ours from consideration grin

janeainsworth Sat 10-Jan-15 17:59:27

I haven't played most of them for years. Then a few weeks ago I put on my Santana LP.
Ashamed to say that when I bought it back in the mists of time, I didn't realise how brilliant it was.

Tegan Sat 10-Jan-15 18:05:23

You mean Abraxus? First album I bought [along with Saucerful of Secrets]. Fantastic cover as well.

FarNorth Sat 10-Jan-15 18:11:43

Mind you, I used to think I was perfectly happy with my twin tub washing machine and was in no hurry to get a new-fangled automatic.
Once I did get one, what a huge time saver it was, and still is, in its latest incarnation.

janeainsworth Sat 10-Jan-15 18:20:50

No, it's called New Gold Disc. I bought it in Hongkong - it was only released in Japan, I think.

This was my favourite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTxRj_Vfepk

MamaCaz Sat 10-Jan-15 18:39:22

Simply finding the channel you wanted to watch on TV used to be so simple. Yes, there were only 3 channels to choose from when I was little, which helped, but aside from that it was as simple as turning a knob until the picture was as good as possible. Nowadays, you either need a degree or a child/grandchild to set up a new TV or do any re-tuning that needs to be done from time to time!

It's the same with the radio. When we go on a long journey, we like to listen to the radio, but as we move from one area to another we lose the signal. In the not-too-distant past, all we had to do was twiddle the knob and problem solved. Nowadays, we usually end up trying for 10 minutes or more to find another signal before giving up in disgust and sticking a CD on!

Tegan Sat 10-Jan-15 18:45:46

Black Magic Woman was on Abraxus. Had forgotten that it was a Peter Green song.On the subject of laundry equipment, I've just bought a spin dryer to use when I haven't got a lot of washing to do.

Tegan Sat 10-Jan-15 18:48:12

Turning my tv on these days seems to involve a trip to the seaside and back...it only seems to work if I play a dvd first and then switch over confused. And there's a sign on the screen saying things like 'not long now' and 'nearly there'.......

loopylou Sat 10-Jan-15 19:18:01

Just 'upgraded' old mobile phone to a 'smartphone and am struggling to even work out how to send a text message blush
It's certainly much, much smarter than I'll ever be!
DS says I can add widgets but I thought they were the thingummy what'sits that you found in beer cans......
Clearly very little hope.......

Agus Sat 10-Jan-15 19:20:54

We still have our Michell Reference Turntable and enjoy playing Santana amongst many other LPs we still have.

DH's new toy is Sonos grin

I really want to go back to simply switching the TV on and off! We have so many controls for this thing or that thing or whatever, I have to seriously concentrate if I decide to watch something.

TriciaF Sat 10-Jan-15 19:21:33

Tegan grin
I'm like that too but luckily Eddie was a TV engineer and can manage all those complicated things. He tries to teach me but I never remember.
Unless I write it down.

Agus Sat 10-Jan-15 19:31:11

What annoys me is whenever I ask how to operate anything new I am always told, it's easy! Of course it's b....y easy, when you know how.

Agus Sat 10-Jan-15 19:33:18

BTW loopylou, the smartphone is easy! grin

rockgran Sat 10-Jan-15 19:51:15

It used to amuse me when my MIL tried to change channels with the phone - now I'm doing it!

vampirequeen Sat 10-Jan-15 19:52:15

I was scared of my smartphone when I first got it but now I love it.

vampirequeen Sat 10-Jan-15 19:53:00

I still talk about videoing things when I mean recording.

NannyLondon Sat 10-Jan-15 19:59:29

3 channels MamaCaz ?
There were only two channels in our house - and only one t.v. in the street..... grin